Reviews for Kill the Messenger
Jewboy Extrordinaire chapter 1 . 6/17/2010
i 3 this. bravo. first Alai/Ender ive read, and it made a good impression, lets hope its doesnt spoil the rest!
inpeace chapter 1 . 4/8/2010
really similar to the authors stile (from what I can tell this tiered); it got me turned around and happy and sad.

the bit about ender biting his hand:

-unless he'd got cadaver tight skin the blood from a bite trickles down in a twisty random way not straight at all like a laser

-not suden either

-is Alai gonna notice?
mintyblues chapter 1 . 3/4/2010
There are very few Ender's Game fanfiction on this site, and very few that I like, but this was good. this was heartbreaking. Thank you for the story. - M.
LikeableTarsier chapter 1 . 8/22/2009
In response to Felix Sterreira's review, but cotains review-age and musing about fanfic as a whole:

Lol. Just lol. So this is a huge oversimplification, and I don't think that all followers of these religions share the views of "the church," but: none of the Big Three religions 'allow' their believers to be gay, or at least to express gayness (apparently it's okay to be a gay catholic as long as you never have sex with someone you're attracted to, and apologize to God for being who you are, and basically hate yourself. Fun.) Many cultures would prefer their members not to be gay. Many religions would prefer their followers not to sin, and to be truely repentant if they do. (not an easy thing.) That doesn't stop anyone from being what they are: human.

One of the things I love best about fanfiction is that it can explore these wacky, what the heck things... All art is basically imitation with a twist. If fanfic didn't explore something new it would just be a masturbatory expression of the craving for more of OSC's writing. Instead this is the writer's own writing, playing off of OSC's world, in the best tradition of human storytelling through most of history, until widespead printing made intellectual property and copyrighting possible.

I disagree that this story isn't sticking to the roughest outline of personality. The voices of the characters sounded very Ender, very Alai. Although they never show any homosexual tendancies in the book (isn't OSC Mormon? I wonder if that has anything to do with it...) it doesn't mean that there is no room for a homosexual interpretation of their relationship. Some people may be gay and marry straight for whatever reason. Many more people are not one thing or the other, may identify as straight and yet have that one friendship that was or could have been something more. Sometimes love is just love, whatever form it takes, and the lines between friendship and "other" can be blurry, permeable, fluid... I know that not everyone agrees, but I got that impression from Alai and Ender the very first time I read Ender's Game.

My point: whether this was way out there or not, I still think it was a wonderful story that stayed within the bounds of the characters while exploring something new.
AishiExcel chapter 1 . 4/7/2009
Very, very sweet. I've wanted to see Ender/Alai, and this one delivered magnificently. I love your writing style, and the last line is incredibly haunting. A ten out of ten in my books.
demented cookies chapter 1 . 11/15/2008
nice. very well written. i almost thought i was actually reading the actual book. i never thought of Alai/Ender. now i think it seems perfect! awesome story.
muvers chapter 1 . 9/7/2008
...Wow...just, just...wow.
katiesquilts chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
Wohoho! Woot! My first EnderxAlai fic! Yes! And it's such a nice one too! *admires* Do you know how hard it is to find this pairing? But it was worth the search if I wound up with such a lovely little fic!
Empatheia chapter 1 . 4/25/2008
My god, but that last line is like a suckerpunch to the gut.
rica chapter 1 . 4/2/2008
Lovely. Really. Alai and Ender are such good friends, and its nice to see them find solace in each other. It's obviously not really sexual yet, because they are so young physically. But I don't have a problem at all imagining that mentally they are capable of the deep emotional caring that is usually associated with romantic love.

Thanks for the story! Keep up the good work!
Wolbachia chapter 1 . 3/30/2008
This is the one series in which slash just does not seem like it could ever happen, but that was still adorable.

Slash and Card's books just don't mix, I'm afraid.
The RyRy chapter 1 . 11/26/2007
I really love this. I'm glad someone has written an Ender/Alai story... Alai is one of my favorite characters in the whole series.

Thanks for taking this perspective on them. )
Felix Sterreira chapter 1 . 6/16/2007
This is roughly the most what the heck thing I've ever read. Alai is a Muslim. By their religion I don't think they're allowed to be gay. I'm not sure, but still. You've kind of taken one kiss on the cheek, a gesture of friendship, and turned it into a romance novel. Ender and Alai both happily marry women in the books, and neither ever shows the slightesy homosexual tendencies. I realize this is fanfiction and we're allowed to make changes, but shouldn't we stick to the roughest outline of the characters' personalities?
33k chapter 1 . 6/14/2007
i liked it. it was cool and it was also one of the only slash pairings, if not the only one, that could function.
ilovedinkmeeker chapter 1 . 5/5/2007
aw this is really sweet. McDaniels- you just gotta love that. i think that this is a good ending for the fic...but...you should update anyway! o0o and if the piece of paper was orders to battle alai's army(hmm does alai have an army..well he WAS in the commanders mess that one time)...even better!

yay someone FINALLY managed to incorporate slash into enders game!