Reviews for Dazzleland
mcatB chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
You're right - this was an unlovable fic - but it was still chock full of lovely angst and pain - from both Sam and Dean - and perfectly written. Thanks for the ride and have fun at the Falls!
Indus chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
You know, once you reach that point of I'd rather be dead, no matter how much better you get, no matter how much you love life later, death always holds this seductiveness you captured well. Interesting, isn't it, how some people are robbed of life, how some hold on to it with every bit of strength in their bodies and still lose, while others waste it, or find themselves ready to give it up...

I love Dean, and I loved this fic. I like how Billy, like all the other demons and skin- thingies use Dean's innermost fears against him, but he keeps going for all the people he loves, keeps taking their burdens and adding them to his own, but never vice versa.

Again, loved the story.
I'mcalledZorro chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
Another great story finished. You stories are always so good, and I enjoy reading them. The little plane anology was so funny. Anyway enjoyed reading Dazzleland.
rodevo chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
OMG! Thank you!

I honestly don't know how you managed to pull off this chapter because every single character has to walk an incredibly thin emotional line. And you do, you carry it off brilliantly. Dean's wavering between anger and grief and coming down solidly in the end on the side of grief. And it is, I mean the grief just resonates off the page (and I say that in a good way). And you manage to give Sam actions that could, if less well written, be really annoying (the stepping between Billie and Sam) but it's clear that he's doing it for the right reasons and that he's doing them because he's *Sam* and they're the right actions for him given what he has to work with.

And I like that there's a gradual coming to recognize that there really isn't anything he can do for Billie, that even the things that look like they're about Billie are about Dean...and Elise to a lesser degree because she quickly becomes not so front and center. And I love that Sam learns things he's not meant to know (and that he knows he's not meant to know, but does because, well, you do). I love that for Dean everything's a weapon even his own tragedies.

It's certainly not happy, happy, joy, joy, but it's *right* in the way that the best stories are. It's about living with grief for both Dean and Sam (tho about different things), about what we keep inside and about family.

I love Dean's line that it wasn't about who he was left *with*...because I think that's the thing that Sam doesn't always get, that for Dean it's never been about what he didn't get to do, it's about who he gets to do it with.

AH, blah, blah, blah, blah...too much rambling and I'm not sure I really said what I wanted to say. Which is that this is a beautiful wonderful fic and I loved it alot :-)
Maz101 chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
Another wonderful story - you say you're going to Niagra soon but you must have been already - your research of places is one of the wonderful things that sets your fantastic stories apart. You place us so definitely with details and history and myths and colour that we're absolutedly there. Then of course there are layers and layers of Winchester wonder. You do it so brilliantly - I'm longing for the next one. Thank you!
Acebased chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
I'd like to thank you for another incredible fic. Everything is perfect - the interaction between the brothers, the clear descriptions and the fact that I decided 'screw the eye pain' to read this whole last chapter nonstop, hee. I enjoyed the whole thing from start to finish. Excellent job.
stoopbeck chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
Ohh, wow.
Lisette chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
No, I wouldn't call this fic unloveable, for there was so much real emotion to be found here that only an idiot wouldn't fall in love. I've been addicted since the word go, and I'm only sorry that I lurked up until this point, for you are a uniquely fantastic writer. Your writing style is so vastly different than most - or rather, than anyone's that I have ever seen before. It's abrupt. It's sarcastic. And it's wholly refreshing. You tell your tales in your own unique way, and your way with words appeals to me.

And then there's the topic matter themselves. You write a dark and angsty Sam and Dean Winchester. They're like a good bottle of red wine - full-bodied, deep, and very bitter. I think that this story is my favorite of yours, for it felt very real to life, with real depth and real emotions. Dean's anger was frightening, and Sam's desperation and worry over his brother and the past so very revealing. I enjoyed the glimpses back into The Break that sent Sam off to Stanford, your own little take on what happened, but even more so, I enjoyed your present. Sam's relationship with Elise was well done, and your creation of Billy was so spooky and downright disturbing - once more, he felt like a real, three-dimensional person. Actually, all of your OCs come across that way, something that's not always easily handled. And the gore in the Columbine-esque school shooting? Disturbing to read, yes, but not done in a way that cheapened it, but if anything, fully drove home the horror and the wanton violence.

You write a mean story, and everyone here is lucky to have you posting for our enjoyment. I especially enjoy the fact that you can get into Dean's head just as well as Sam. It seems that you alternate from a more Sam-centric story, back to a Dean-centric, and back again - and in doing so, you give both brothers the attention that they deserve without faulting the other. I would call this story more Sam-centric, and yet you never left Dean hanging and instead made his grief and his coping (or lack thereof) a central aspect of this story.

You write well - seriously well, and I hope that you enjoy your vacation to Dazzleland, and that we'll be hearing from you again soon. I will be adding this story to my list of favorites on my website - it's excellence won't be forgotten. You do this fandom credit, and I thank you for that.
Ginger Ninja chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
Awesome. You're right, it did deal with so much heavy stuff that was really hard to read but you pulled it off with amazingly skill. And the end did have some hope :)

Fantastic writing as always mate.

Have fun at Niagara!

GN
irismay42 chapter 10 . 3/22/2007
*Virtual standing ovation*

Unlovable? Well I loved every freakin' second of it! That last chapter was incredible - the tension in the gym was absolutely suffocating, and the way Billy pulled out all of Dean's most painful memories and laid them in front of Sam was heartstopping. I hereby dub you the undisputed Queen of Angstville... And I loved the way Dean turned his own thoughts back against Billy - showing him what it truly meant to be a brother.

Thanks for not killing Elise, too. I was convinced she had 'Dead Meat' tattooed on her forehead throughout!

Absolutely fantastic stuff - can't wait for your next tour de force (fluffy or otherwise)!
chrissie0707 chapter 9 . 3/19/2007
Hey, girl. I know I'm late. Sorry, I've been out of town all week. And you know those hundred thousand people stranded in New England because of the storms and computer glitches? I was one of them. Hence my even later lateness. So I will try to give you a nice, long review. :)

*If the cops got him with this load, he’d be in the State pen for life. Hell, if the cops picked him up for jaywalking, he’d never be bending down for dropped soap again.*

Oh, Lord, I loved this line.

And OH let me count the ways that I love the imagery of Dean sneaking up to the school.

I have really loved the flashbacks in this story. Because the whole Sam leaving has been done, but not like this. Not like so incredibly awesome. I totally buy it, and it really works for me.

*The door slammed and Sam was back, a single cup of coffee in his hand, just one more of his many ways of saying ‘fuck you’ loud and clear.*

Loved that.

I HEART that you made Sam's first word "no". Because it so would have been.

Just...that whole scene. I know that it must have taken forever and sweat and blood and tears, but there's not a word that I would want to be different. I really admire the way that you write.
adara13 chapter 9 . 3/19/2007
And I didn't think it could better than last chapter. Silly me.

So there's so much I seriously love about this chapter, but first I have to admit to being highly entertained by Dean's eloquence in his texts...especially the second one. Also, I liked that the directions to the gym are impossible to get to, much more realistic than stories usually show it. After all, what high school isn't a mess of add ons and new wings that can't even number doors in order? Ok, maybe I'm still a little bitter about getting lost my first day freshman year of high school...

The description of John and Dean sharing "a moment of complicit misery" is one of my favorite phrases. It's perfect. The fight between John and Sam, with them both calculatingly fencing about the topic seemed just right to me. All the fighting throughout the story just piled up until that HAD to happen.

The way Sam broke the news to Dean broke my heart. Not that I guess it really mattered in the end, I guess, since Dean would always have seen it as a betrayal. But still, as much as I liked it because it fit exactly, of course, it was of much sadness. The imagery when Dean finally confronts Sam, though, is nothing short of beautiful. I can just see Sam sprawled on his bag talking to Sam, all long legs.

I don't know, something about this chapter, this story, your writing in general I guess, was nothing short of mesmerizing. I feel like when I read a chapter of this story that I just can't fall out of it.

In short? You kill me DEAD!
sams1ra chapter 9 . 3/18/2007
That shooter? Cool. The fight between John and Sam… I hate that they don’t see Dean, but it was really well written. I liked the little reference to Red. LOVE that story! Another wonderful chapter. Can't wait for more.
Windyfontaine chapter 9 . 3/16/2007
Just had to review at both places :) Awesome, amazing, fantastic job. Readable to the point of not hearing a bomb alarm go off. (Not that one did, but if it had I wouldn't have known) You write the characters as though they are telling you what they feel and you're just putting it out there for them. And Billy? Dean can feel free to release his anger :) And Sam, for a moment I wondered if he might try to just stop Billy somehow before going to the gym, but then we wouldn't have the exiting last chapter to look forward to. This was simply great, and oh! I liked the girl that managed to hold it together when Dean talked to her. Just one of the little characters that are so in character that makes your story so complete. Hmm. Okay, blame the incoherence on the cough medicine, lol. But I'm still here, still loving this, and next time will try to just stop everything and read. Have a good (or at least decent) day :)
rodevo chapter 9 . 3/13/2007
Yes! So much to like about this chapter, and I have to say that what's going on here is indeed a big enough pay off for all the building and building of tension in preceding chapters. Yes, to Dean's grief both now and in the past. And yes, to the fact that he masks it with fury because... oh yeah, that's what he does.

I really like that Dean is rendered physically mute in the Sam leaving scene-doesn't know what to say and can't say it anyway. I like that no one notices because everything else that's going on is way too big to notice something like silence. I like both John and Sam's reaction. John is a difficult man, difficult to have for a father, but he doesn't intend the pain he causes his sons and that makes it heartbreaking for all of them.

I think Sam crying in those year 20 scenes is very, very well done and believable and crying scenes so often *don't* work for me and toss me right out of the story. And despite all the emotion coming out-I mean the emotion they're actually *expressing*-they're all also repressing so goddamned much it's just killing them.

And I've said this before but I totally-so much I can hardly express-love the ways that you've given us Sam and Dean in character *and* believable in both 20 and 2006. They seem themselves and different in both those time frames. Awesomely done!

Thank you!