Reviews for The Christmas Gift
Long Live BRUCAS chapter 1 . 10/24/2011
Knowing Logan, he's probably got his eyeballs screwed to the screen, saving the world and plotting landing coordinates for Santa Claus while sipping pre-Pulse wine and scribbling poetry...

That sounds like what he would do if he wasnt so sad or in a blah mood.

So glad the mural and Max could make Logan happy.

It was sweet.
smilingcatt chapter 1 . 2/4/2007
A brilliant idea and wonderful story! Thanks!
annie200 chapter 1 . 1/1/2007
Just got back off hols to this brilliant New Year's offering..loved it! Thanks Shywriter, just perfect!
Moriania chapter 1 . 12/31/2006
Ooh what a great Christmas present!

This was really heart-warming and beautifully written. Without going on too terribly long, my faves:

-The way Herbal invited Max to Christmas dinner at his place really conveyed the strong friendship between her and the Jam Pony crew. Very sweet.

-Logan's 'do-gooder' attitude rubbing off on Max: "But the idea of lifting someone else’s Christmas just because hers was a dud just didn’t sound right anymore ... gee, thanks, Logan, she smirked to herself, even that little pleasure is now wrecked for me..." So true!

-I loved Max chasing after the kid, convincing him to finish the mural. Her standing guard over him while he finished was perfect, since she's "good at this night ninja stuff". (One of my favourite lines :D)

-The rapport Max has with the nice sector cops was very insightful, and I loved the dialogue. There have to be at least a few nice guards in Seattle!

-I don't think I could conceive of a better Christmas present for Logan than a mural giving thanks from Seattle. That was inspired, and very, very touching.

And of course, the way Max reacted to the mural herself, helping guard the artist so he could finish, forcing Logan out of bed and hauling him across town so he could see it, is a great testament to her depth of feeling for him, concious or not.

Thanks for this little gem :)

A belated Merry Christmas and a (hopefully on time) Happy New Years!
DeniB chapter 1 . 12/31/2006
Thank You, this story was so beautifully written.

You brought a sense of warmth and a smile to my

face this morning. Thanks again, and I wish you a

very Happy New Year!
lilmouse chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
Finally, I get the chance to read this lovely Christmas gem. :)

Life's still hectic and I'm still sick - darn it - so this probably won't be the usual type of review from me, though as I *do* tend to ramble that might not be such bad news, lol! ;)

Thank you very much for sharing! I love the idea of the mural as a gift and Max's encounter with the boy was very well done. I'm so pleased she thought to share it with Logan, as she was obviously struggling with the concept of the meaning of Christmas and had this moment offered to her as an opportunity.

Poor Logan. No sleep for the weary... Glad he was able to pick up from Max's voice that this wasn't just a lark but something important. As usual, you've written their dialogue very well, and although there are those who would gaze upon their conversation in the car and label it as 'moosh' - your own word, hun ;) - I love it! :D

I'm cutting the favourite bits as time is fleeting but I must mention the perfection of this segment:

Logan glanced to her, as if looking for something, maybe to make another comment... but in the next moment turned back to admire the work, wordlessly, for another long silence, before observing, his own voice low, “they’ll obliterate it in a few hours, cover it over.”

“I know,” she agreed, softly.

“It’s a shame, because it’s damn good.”

She looked up again to the image that had come to mean so much to so many, then back at the green eyes that inspired it, still taking in the tribute before him, and said, “at least he got his message to the person he wanted to see it most.”

And by sharing on FFN, *you* gave the fans a 'Dark Angel' Christmas that's thoughtful, sweet and in character.

Merry Christmas, boo.

Cheers!

Mouse :)
BlueAngel137 chapter 1 . 12/27/2006
Thanks for this wonderful Christmas story. I already read it on the 24th (the German Christmas ... and hey, what a nice Christmas present ;)) ...

I really love the image of the homeless people:

-..."The streets were largely deserted, no one out in public view, but to Max’s sharp ears, the night air around her brought the sounds of the city’s homeless, trying to bed in for the night, shuffling around in a deserted warehouse nearby. The snapping crackle and sharp scent of an oil drum bonfire came to her too, with the voices of more souls, huddled close, sharing stories..." (it's a beautiful description)

Some favorites:

-..."Logan let his head fall back on the pillow, lethargy threatening to swallow him whole. Anyone but Max, I’d tell them to take a flying leap off the Space Needle... “Thirty minutes?”

“You can have fifteen...”

“Max...” he pleaded. She is screwing with me..." (lol, the picture of groggy Logan in bed is always kinda ... nice :))

-...The familiar red and white crawl was frozen in the stillness of paint, the blue border framing it, just like in the hacks, capturing the deep, intense eyes reproduced there ... the original green ones moved quickly over the mural, the Aztek coming to a stop before it. The familiar on-screen image floated far larger than life over the deserted streets and walkways, as if watching out for Seattle here, just as he did from local video feeds... (great description)

-..."He shrugged broadly, his smile widening to hear that she just might relent and admit she was alone, too. “Oh, I dunno ... Christmas day, the local stations throw on a lot of old movies, end to end ... all the sweet old sappy ones, stories about Christmases you and I never knew.” His expression and voice weren’t dark or morose at the thought; far from it – his brow had cleared, and he was actually poking her with a bit of humor at the fact they shared a dysfunctional upbringing, even if widely different in the details." ...

(I really love the image of Max and Logan, sitting on the sofa and watching old movies and I like that you show one of the connections between them, their "dysfunctional upbringing")

-..."Max felt an emotional tug at her chest, that funny, unfamiliar feeling she got when Logan looked at her just right ... when he spoke in a certain way ... when he did something to get under her skin. Not ready to acknowledge it, she pursed her lips, as if considering it, and tried, “Hmm. Well, what’s in your ‘fridge?”" ... (that's so Max-like, great!)

The ending made me smile.

THANKS!
mhs-111 chapter 1 . 12/26/2006
Swet :)
Mari83 chapter 1 . 12/26/2006
(My downsizing-trials kind of failed (well, completely failed:-), so consider yourself warned:-p)

Love the idea of the mural, indeed the perfect gift for Logan. Plus it fits well into the atmosphere of post-Pulse Seattle.

I love the moods in here and how they develop throughout the story, from thinking about the holidays to grumpy Logan to my absolute favourite part, the quietness between them - in talking and in their behaviour / mood - when Logan takes in the mural (because it conveys so well how moved he is) and finally the content understanding between them.

“Max, that you? You okay in there?” The officer, suspicious only because of his genuine concern for the messenger he recognized, flashed his bright beam into Logan’s face before casting it into the car, down and away from her eyes, to look at Max.”

Great idea, makes so much sense that Max would know the cities officials (maybe using her charm:-) and that not the whole police corps is corrupt.

“Why be in a rush to get home when there’s no one there? she reasoned with herself. Besides, lots of people don’t do Christmas, and they don’t fall apart. You can find something to do ... you always do. She thought of the many exceptional targets available this evening, all the baubles and trinkets and ready cash that might be lying around just asking to be liberated. But the idea of lifting someone else’s Christmas just because hers was a dud just didn’t sound right anymore ... gee, thanks, Logan, she smirked to herself, even that little pleasure is now wrecked for me...”

Long quote yes, but I really like how her insecurity about her place in the world gets painfully obvious at Christmas and the the soft (almost affectionate?) sarcasm when she assesses Logan’s influence.

“Knowing Logan, he’s probably got his eyeballs screwed to the screen, saving the world and plotting landing coordinates for Santa Claus while sipping pre-Pulse wine and scribbling poetry...”

Cute and funny picture… and fitting, EO and Santa Claus working together:-)

“not the greatest time of year for him since his parents died, and Christmas Eve in particular had always been painful. This year, the addition of the chair just made everything all the more difficult to face, and by 8:00 p.m. he had crawled into bed with a double whiskey and had tried to leave it all behind, escaping into sleep”

This is so great to make obvious Logan’s emotion toward the holidays in general and especially that year, how down and overwhelmed he must feel to not even try to make the bad thoughts disappear by work. (And this escaping into sleep maybe is an early hint at suicidal thoughts?)

The whole bit with almost-asleep and groggy Logan was so well and vividly described, made me want to crawl into bed just from reading it;-)

“stabbing briefly at his unrulier-than-usual hair with his fingers...”

Nice image, makes me want to get my fingers into his hair:-)

“You’ve been drinking the hard stuff?”

“Manticore souped up your olfactory sense, too?” Logan grouched, irritated at her manner.

Pour guy, the downside of having a transgenic friend.

“Want to change your plans too, and play hooky with me?”

And I’ve learned another new term…:-)

Love the non-committal, light banter between them when they’re not yet comfortable enough for more (while we’re allowed to see all that’s going on underneath).

“And they’d probably think it was odd if I started eyeing their shower...”

Made me laugh, this might have ended with the whole Jam Pony crew standing line in front of the Cale mansion for a hot shower:-)
Kyre chapter 1 . 12/25/2006
I love that - a random admirer taking the risk to paint his thanks to Eyes Only on a giant wall in town. What a cool idea. Glad Max got Logan to see it. It does him good to find out how much people appreciate his efforts and his concern.

I'm also glad Logan's and Max's Christmas suddenly improved. :)

I like Max being familiar and friendly with the sector guards. It makes perfect sense, given her job - why hadn't I thought of that?
homicidalslayer chapter 1 . 12/24/2006
Much love to this story. Happy Holidays.

-BMG
abregaza chapter 1 . 12/24/2006
What a wonderful way to wake up on Christmas morning...

Simple and sweet it is a lovely moment between my two favourite characters.

Thank you for the lovely gift, now i'm going to hunt the rest of my presents today (the ones you need to unwrap)!
Me chapter 1 . 12/24/2006
Merry Christmas Shy! How wonderful! How you keep managing to write such original and interesting fic I have no idea:o) Unbelievable! Thank you.
angelstryst chapter 1 . 12/24/2006
Great story Shy! I loved it. You had such great expressions for the characters and the idea of the mural was fantastic!

Merry Christmas to you too!