Reviews for The Aftermath
Reiven chapter 11 . 5/2/2007
Didn't Parmenion die before Cleitus?

I loved the story (as I do all your other stories but haven't reviewed a single one because I'm a lazy bint) and...well, you know something you find yourself where you're unable to properly put anything into words? Well, this is that day for me. I enjoyed the story very much so and am off to read the rest.

Thank you for writing.
Arlad chapter 11 . 1/31/2007
Fantastic last chapter! Ah, clever Cassander... I am soo glad he kept those letters! I really liked how he behaved in this chapter in general as well, his admiration for Hephaestion, his care for him... realizing that Hephaestion is just incredible. I really liked this story... it was really about Hephaestion and Cassander, and while I loved the interaction between Alexander and Hephaestion, I fear the king was too preocupied... the true insight was into the other two. I enjoyed every single chapter, thanks very much for this story! And I can't wait for your next one :)
Queendel chapter 11 . 1/30/2007
A nice ending to an interesting fic filled with many twists. I found the fic a little heartbreaking and emotional at times...I cannot begin to fathom how deep Heph's love was for him to do what he did for Alexander. I felt anger too, at both Alexander and Heph. At Alexander, because he allows his rage to control him and when he acts recklessly, Heph always bear the painful consequences of his actions, this time it could have been his life. And although, Alexander was tearful and remorseful, I do not think he truly understands and accepts how much he is destroying Heph.

At Heph, because despite his love for Alexander, I do not see why he would subject himself to such horrors...does he like being a martyr? He was tortured for two days...chained, in a dark, dirty, smelly dungeon filled with decaying human remains, damp, cold, and later having his skin broken and bloodied as he was beaten...with the Persians thinking him a traitor! Just to protect Alexander's empire... when the Macedonians companions knew that he was innocent, despite his confession? What a travesty!

And Heph's plan worked beautifully, even if at times, it appeared hopeless. Heph was not executed because of Cassander... because he trusted in Cassander's love for him to save him as he saved Alexander and the empire.

Thought provoking. I would have loved an epilogue...to see Heph receiving some tender loving care and a good meal, for I doubt that he was able to eat anything the two days that he was condemned to that hellhole. To see his good name restored, among all.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more works from you soon.
Queendel chapter 10 . 1/26/2007
Very imaginative and innovative plot. Alexander and the entire army would have absolutely no doubt now as to Heph's loyalty and love for Alexander and his empire, so much so that he was willing to sacrifice himself.

It is strange that Alexander cannot see Heph's logic or strategy in what he is doing, and this fact alones tells me how badly what he did affected his thoughts. Heph's plan would force Alexander and Cassander to work together, clear both their names and restore Alexander's image...what a delight!.

But moreso, I hope that Alexander realises that in the future he should act with more caution, because it is Heph that pays the initial painful price, and thereafter, he and his empire. Because it is true, if Heph dies, the all of them will perish, and there are among enemies, conquerors in a strange and far land. If nothing else, I hope that this action of Heph helps to tamper his rage before he acts.

The dungeon is deplorable, and I hope that Heph is embraced with tender loving care and luxurious comforts when he escapes from that hellhole. At least the guards are nice to him.

One thing I don't understand and I suppose it is the way that you have plotted your story, is that Alexander, as King, could kill who he likes, and even if censured/denounced, he is still King with all his privileges. Therefore, he should be able to do as he wishes, including visiting and talking to Heph.

I understand that Cassander has the right to arrest and execute Heph, but if Heph did that so that Alexander would retain his Kingship, then shouldn't he still be in charge of everything, except what happens to Heph, given that Heph confessed. And then again, he is in Persia, where the Great King's word is law, could he not overruled Cassander and the Companions and pardon Heph? I guess that you are using Macedonia law as opposed to Persian law.

Eager for more soon.
Arlad chapter 10 . 1/25/2007
Very evil cliffie! But I'm relieved somehow, by Cassander's words. This was a great chapter, Hephaestion in the cell was haunting... his reflections, the way you described where he was... it made me feel so desperate for him, and yet respect him all the more for his calm, for his determination, for his love of Alexander. Poor Alexander! He must be feeling so torn, so confused... hopefully things will be clear to him soon.

Great! Can't wait for next one :)

Arlad
Queendel chapter 9 . 1/24/2007
Most interesting update...suspenseful and angsty and masterful.

It is very telling that Alexander read aloud Heph's note without even reading it before..it shows his trust in his loyal friend, and Heph counted on him doing just that for his plan to work.

The companions, especially Ptolemy and Nearchus, complete disbelief in Heph's confession is also a tribute to how loyal Heph is to Alexander and the Empire, and despite any issues, how positive they view him as a person and officer.

Heph is truly brillant and quite self confident to take such a gamble with his life..But is it such a risk. Heph knows that Cassander cares for him and the genius of human psyche that he is, left it up to Cassander and friends, not only to prove his innocence and exonate him, but to leave Alexander free and clear to continue to rule his empire without fear of being overthrown.

Eager for more. So, update soon.
Arlad chapter 9 . 1/23/2007
What a twist! WHEW! That left me with mouth wide open! Oh, Hephaestion... so selfless, so amazing... please tell me he has another plan? Or they will manage to save him?

Loved the interaction between Hephaestion and Alexander, and your Cassander as always is fascinating to read.
Sunny-seid-up chapter 9 . 1/23/2007
Noo you can leave hanging 's evil*pouts*

Anyway really great chapter hope you continue soon,because I'm really exceted how this will go i feel sorry for alexander,because I have the feeling he is going to feel guilty fr what happend to hepheastion
Queendel chapter 8 . 1/21/2007
An interesting, angsty and suspenseful update. It was very good to see Alexander loving Heph, thinking mostly about his pleasure.

Eager to see what will happen next.
Arlad chapter 7 . 1/8/2007
Very interesting chapter, loved all the different POV's on the funeral (though, I don't like Roxanne one bit! she's so hateful!). Liked Cassander's reflections on the love between Hephaestion and Alexander... he does indeed have a weak spot for the blue-eyed general... I'm intrigued about what Bagoas has to tell Hephaestion, I'm really liking him in this story. I can't wait to see how the plot will unfold :)

Arlad
Sunny-seid-up chapter 7 . 1/8/2007
wow This is getting you update soon.I feel sorry for Hepheastion,because someone can get the feeling that he is very lonley expecet from Alexander he has noone he can really trust.I also Don't think Cassander will bring it over himself to really kill I hope you continue so I know how this goes on

Ahh an please excuse my worse English,but I'm not a native speaker
Kitten chapter 7 . 1/8/2007
I love fics that portray Bagoas in a positive light. Too many times he's portrayed as the antagonist. I just hope that he can tell Hephaistion what he knows in time.
Queendel chapter 7 . 1/7/2007
Very interesting update. I like reading the thoughts of the characters and getting an insight into their minds, and hence, behaviours.

It is good to see that Alexander realises and appreciates how depenendent he is on loyal Heph, and how vulnerable that makes both of them. It is also good that he shows remorse for killing Cleitas, and accept that he was wrong in doing that. Now, he can get on with his life. Looking forward to seeing a strong, ruthless but merciful Alexander who skillfully protects what is his...his love and their empire.

Roxanne is a scheming pain in the butt, and I have no sympathy for her, and I agree with Bagoas, she should be made part of the harem. I pity the complex and power-hungry Cassander for he seem to exist in a world without love, and hungers for it, even as he envies Heph and Alexander for what they have.

I hope that Bagoas warns Heph and keeps him up to date with the intriguing plots and sub-plots...afterall they are my dynamic dual fighting the evil plots from Roxanna and Cassander:)

Looking forward to Heph's plan and how its implementation outmanauvers Cassander's, and protect both himself and Alexander.

Update soon...with a much longer chapter :)
Arlad chapter 6 . 1/4/2007
Just read the six chapters! This new story is great! So much intrigue... I love the moments between Hephaestion and Alexander, you write them so beautifully! And your Cassander is as always a very intriguing character... but this chapter alarmed me! Hephaestion is too selfless, offering his life like that... he must remember what the oracle said, Alexander couldn't go on without him! Amazing, can't wait for more :)
SimonO chapter 6 . 1/4/2007
To be honest I was a bit confused when I read this chapter.

I would hate to see Hephaistion humiliated or tortured especially not with Alexander present to witness it. Not being able to prevent that would simply kill our favourite king and so I cant see how this plot will help to protect Alexander.

I love to see a Hephaistion willing to give his own life for Alexander so Iam eager to learn how it continues.