Reviews for Silent Night
nathy.faithy chapter 2 . 12/15/2013
This was very sweet ;)
Griever chapter 1 . 12/26/2007
First of all, you can hit me on the head (repeatedly) for not realising we had the same title for our fics :0

Other than that, I loved this, and apologise for not reviewing sooner, many fics,too little time. But I love love love this, right from the start, with Max poking Logan (such a cute picture) and then the build up to Xmas.

Adorable how Logan worries, and how comfortable they are with each other that Logan doesn't over worry and that Max returns to him in the end anyway )
shywr1ter chapter 2 . 12/24/2007
Such a nice surprise, not only another bit of Christmassy moosh, but a continuation of last year's Christmas... And this is a nice window on M & L. It makes so much sense that memories will still haunt Max, even after finding a relationship with Logan- maybe even more so, as she starts letting go of all the barriers to connecting or to her emotions.

The progression in this is nice: Max is down so Logan offers a special day to make her feel better, unwittingly hitting a nerve. But she works it through and not only comes back to Logan, she is able to take his offer the way it was intended and now is excited about it... (or at least is pressing him to go and get their tree...)

"She had stayed nestled to his side throughout the night, the calming sensation of her steady breathing still distracting Logan as he belatedly confirmed her wish. “A tree it is then… later, after this mere mortal had just a bit more sleep…”

Such a lovely image! Thanks so much for the sneak peak at their future, as they're settling into it!
intstebri chapter 1 . 2/28/2007
I love this story, really appreciate all the time you spend to elaborate about Logan tinks, all the love and care and the hope this one felt about her.

Even if Christmas is past now, that bring me back in all this loving and peace time with my two prefered fiction guys: Max and Logan.

Tank for that
0101010 chapter 1 . 1/19/2007
Mari-I tried to post this the other night, but FFN appeared to have the hiccoughs-gr!

Love this story. Not only is it touching and thoughtful, but the style with which you have chosen your words speaks to careful attention, and a sensitivity that is truly striking.

"The sudden quiet was enough to rouse Max from her haze. With a sharp jerk her head went up, her eyes fixing him with the slightly disoriented, glassy eyes of someone searching for orientation after waking up from a bad dream. Her stare was intense, an odd mix of vulnerability and thoughtfulness that he hadn’t seen from her before, couldn’t have seen because she hadn’t allowed him to come close enough."

THis paragraph, like every other one is an example of what I mean-it's just perfectly written. This was a heartbreaking a beautiful story.

Thanks for sharing it:)

Maria656 chapter 1 . 1/19/2007
Nicely done
Obsessed Pam chapter 1 . 1/8/2007
Just love your way with words - poetic comes to mind. Loved this story. Many thanks.

angelstryst chapter 1 . 1/3/2007
This was so beautiful. I had read it earlier, but wanted to have time to leave the review it deserves. This was a great work and the emotions that were felt were amazing.

but she’d been preoccupied, thinking about what Logan might be up to, pondering if maybe even the ever-serious Eyes Only might have been infected by the Christmas spirit… possibly even had decorated the penthouse… At the mere idea of him framing his screens with greenery in uncharacteristic playfulness, or allowing his steely, cool kitchen to be invaded by plush Santa Clauses a lopsided, amused smirk sneaked onto Max’s face - such a great visual!

Max's flashback was so incredibly detailed, and made the thoughts of being nine and on the run and alone during Christmas seem so real.

He didn’t ask what had thrown her so much, or if maybe she wanted to talk about it. He’d seen the lost, troubled expression on her face, and was aware that the chances of hearing one of her childhood memories were higher if he didn’t press her. He knew that some memories were better held in a safe back-corner of one’s mind until the time came to release them. - Love the thoughts of Logan trying to imagine Max's thoughts and how to approach her.

Another amazing story by you, thanks!
annie200 chapter 1 . 1/1/2007
This was beautiful, and a little sad. I could just imagine the young Max in that the defensive M/L badinage as they concealed their insecurities was so in character.
Moriania chapter 1 . 12/31/2006
Excellent, wonderful story :)

I'd go over all my favourite parts, but I'd be repeating Blue & Shy, so maybe I'll just list a couple:

-I really liked Logan puttering over Mrs. Moreno's record player (and the bit about how they 'came back' after the pulse, great details!).

-The bittersweet naivety of the scene at the farmhouse. This was very well written and extremely believeable.

-The way Logan asked Max over for Christmas dinner was great, as was her reaction.

And, of course, the puddles! :)

Hope you had a great Christmas!
BlueAngel137 chapter 1 . 12/27/2006
It's an outstanding and beautiful Christmas (pre-Christmas) story and I honestly loved every word of it.

Your descriptions of "little Max" were heart-wrenching and her loneliness tugs at the reader's heart.

I really liked the way you wrote her incomprehension and confusion when she looks at the beautifully decorated house and the singing family ... even assumes it's some kind of military base.

-...They made her wonder why anybody would be so stupid to waste precious fuel like that, only to make one’s home a target for marauders… they made her suspect if perhaps this little, innocent-looking farmhouse was some kind of military base, with the lights used as a signal of sorts. ...)

Some favorites:

-..."Involuntarily, Max’s face had come closer to the window-glass until her nose almost touched the cold surface, fascinated, strangely touched by the scene in front of her." ... (and the whole following paragraph ... it's really sad but beautifully written and I could almost feel the longing of the girl)

-..."For days after she didn’t dare to come near any human settlement, preferring to starve and hide like the outcast she was. She functioned on her last reserves and the few things she could find in the frozen winter-forest, feeling a hint of sick gratefulness towards Lydecker for having trained her for exactly those situations." ... (Max has to be really desperate when she thanks Lydecker, right?)

-..."The sudden quiet was enough to rouse Max from her haze. With a sharp jerk her head went up, her eyes fixing him with the slightly disoriented, glassy eyes of someone searching for orientation after waking up from a bad dream. Her stare was intense, an odd mix of vulnerability and thoughtfulness that he hadn’t seen from her before, couldn’t have seen because she hadn’t allowed him to come close enough. ... (very beautiful and intense again)

I'm glad you (and M/L) managed to lighten up the mood, and just knowing that they'll spend Christmas together put a smile on my face.

Thanks for involving the thick fog and (albeit coincidental) ... the dark-haired, stealing girl. ;)

I hope you had a great Christmas with friends and family (you probably have some nice Black Forrest traditions, right?

THANKS for sharing. It's definitely one of the best stories I ever read at FFN!
shywr1ter chapter 1 . 12/26/2006
You already know some of the things I really liked about this one, but I didn't take as much time to drool over this one as I usually do!

This is another nice glimpse into Max & Logan growing together, early yet, but the start of their connection. You hit on several terrific points I don't think I've seen brought out before, and they're really tremendous:

-Young Max's terror at the "chaos" of the Pulse, and her resulting escape to the woods, following the training she would have received, teaching her to flee and lay low at danger;

-Max's understanding that the most basic human needs, for someone who is scraping to get them, is "home," and those were things that Manticore provided, defining it as home, as much as she might not like it. Also very telling that even Max has those desperate moments when she believed maybe they shouldn't have escaped;

-Max's first sight of a house decorated for Christmas, from the perspective of someone to whom it's a completely foreign cultural behavior, and her reaction to its "wastefulness" ... even better, her making it fit within the only world she knows, guessing it might be a military installation. Same with her dismay that the family didn't realize someone ought to be standing guard;

-the terrible scene of Max being run off in fear of the family's discovery, choosing starvation over discovery and thanking Lydecker for teaching her how to get by in such circumstances;

-the Cale family balance: an insincere dinner invitation to Logan, not honestly meant, and the family's -and Logan's- understanding that he needed to decline;

-Logan's insecurity about what Max meant each time she referred to him as Eyes Only, his desire she admire his work, his fear that she was being sarcastic and what it meant. Also, his ability to hide those feelings and be as nonchalant as she.

Each of these are really wonderful additions to the whole history of Max and Logan that she show never gave us.

And beautifully crafted lines:

"Often, when there was an unexpected noise in the surrounding bushes, she imagined one of them coming out from the thick under-brush, telling her that he or she had been there all along and watched over her... Maybe Ben, who would make her laugh with one of his stories, or Zack, their leader, who would tell her what do to and comfort her at night when she couldn’t sleep because of the hunger and cold. But nobody ever came. She was alone." (so heartbreaking! What a childhood Max had; it sounds as if Manticore was an easier life than what came after.)

I'd better stop before I copy the entire story! Thanks you for the lovely holiday moments!
homicidalslayer chapter 1 . 12/26/2006
I love how you managed it to make it Dark and Heavy and Sweet and Light all at once. You have Mad Skills with the fanfics. Snaps for you!