Reviews for This is How Normal Works
FifthDayOfMay chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
It would be really interesting to see Jess and Dean interacting during the Stamford Era. This whole story gave me feelings and ideas.
Miyavilurver chapter 1 . 11/12/2011
fantastic. (:
castiello chapter 1 . 9/2/2009
Excellent story. I like reading fics that explain/describe what might have happened between the brothers to cause a falling-out that lasted two whole years. Your scenario fits perfectly with the characters and the series. I can totally picture it going down like this.

Some of my favorite bits:

-“Dean could get half the girls in a town to fall in love with him the first two days, but chances were they'd hate him before they were quite ready to move on, and Sam was different. Sam made actual friends, people he liked talking with, studying with, and leaving always felt like ripping a Band-Aid off an unhealed wound.”

(This observation is clearly supported by the Season Four episode “After School Special,” even though I know you wrote the story well before that; you have a great understanding of both characters.)

-“Sam can never stop the slow fond smile, and he always shakes his head even though he isn't there to see it, always asks, every time, ‘what's wrong, Dean?’ or ‘what have you gotten yourself into now?’ or ‘what have you done?’”

(Here, I picture Sam’s smile in “Scarecrow,” when he’s talking to Dean on his cell in the bus station.)

-"’You don't know what you're missing, though. Exams, killing things, killing things, exams. Jesus. Where the hell did we go wrong with you? You're supposed to be a Winchester.’"

(SO DEAN, LOL!)

-“He doesn't even realize, until much much later, that he left the restaurant without even saying goodbye to the girl he thought he could marry.”

-"’So sorry to have ruined your date by nearly having the life sucked out of me, Sammy. It won't happen again,’ Dean says quickly, and with a smile, and Sam feels a little sick, because those are the kinds of defenses Dean uses on everyone but him. He's never used that smile on him.”

(Also very Dean. And very sad.)

-“And then he slams the door in his face, and the hanging plastic nine rocks loose and flips, stopping as a six; but Dean keeps his promise, and doesn't call.

Not even when Sam finally realizes he wants him to.”

-“In his wallet there is a picture of him and Dean, frayed around the edges with a winding fold down the middle, but that he keeps where it is. That picture would give too much of himself away to whoever saw it, so he hides it away, a secret part of himself.

Dean would understand that, he knows. Dean hid the best parts of himself too.”

-“He remembers that day. He'd just finished up his junior year, and Dean had put him in a headlock and snapped a picture with his free hand. They'd both been laughing too hard to think the picture would come out, but by some odd miracle it had.”

-“She wouldn't understand, though. She'll say 'I'll understand' and 'you can tell me anything' until the moment he tells her, and then she'll wonder who she's been living with all this time.”

-“It's why when he sees it in his dreams, his beautiful Jess on the ceiling, he pretends it doesn't mean anything, and just goes right back to sleep.”

Really good characterization throughout the story – of the boys, and Jessica, too. Everything felt real and right. Great job! Great read! Thanks so much for sharing it.
M. Carwright chapter 1 . 3/6/2008
Wow that was brilliant. Thank you, I feel like i've been wading through crap lately and it's nice to find some really good writing once in a while.
Amy chapter 1 . 11/1/2007
Wow that very good.
Anime's-mistress chapter 1 . 8/20/2007
It's just so bittersweet. I always wanted to read a story like this. The whole Sam, at Stanford, thinking about Dean thing. Good job.
freaker chapter 1 . 3/21/2007
"so he hides it away, a secret part of himself."

i love that. yeah i definetly think that these brothers are a part of each other. nice fic.
Rebel Goddess chapter 1 . 1/9/2007
I love Dean's phone calls. I also love the succubus angle. Excellent ending. I feel quite sorry for Sam now. Great story.
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 1/9/2007
Another good piece of writing. I love the introspective pieces. There a nice break from the whumping! Not that whumping isn't wonderful - because you get all the comfort stuff. But I also like to read stories that give some character development. Insight.

You do a great job at that.
irismay42 chapter 1 . 1/8/2007
Wow, to think I nearly missed this due to stupid malfunctioning alerts!

This is just a superb piece of writing. You've really captured the tortured essence of the boys' relationship at that time - kind of a can't live with you can't live without you thing, but not of either of their making.

And I loved the line about the two most important people Sam has in his life not knowing the other exists. Superb stuff.
MistyEyes chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
AMAZING. I love these Stanford fics. Wonderful job.
friendly chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
very nice. I liked it...
TheLastPromise chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
Lovely fic. I liked it a lot.
That Tath chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
Wow, what a beautiful story. I love fics about Sam at Stanford and this is one of the best ones that I've read. Well done!
snchills chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
Beautiful story...Sad but beautiful.