Reviews for The Conscience of the King
Oxnate chapter 3 . 9/25/2014
Edmund "betrayed" Tumnus because Jadis asked. In both the book and the movie, he tells her about the Faun Lucy met before she gave him any Turkish Delight. In the book, Lucy had mentioned a witch briefly, but not a Queen, which Jadis capitalized on. Edmund's betrayal was in leaving his family at the Beavers' dam and trying to join the Queen. The book makes it clear that he had been bewitched by her magic and had little choice in the matter. To be honest, I find it a stretch to call it a betrayal.
TheAlabasterPhoenyx chapter 3 . 1/22/2014
You're brilliant.
vid-gamer-of-Hyrule chapter 3 . 1/3/2014
Wow, you just gave me a whole new perspective on Tumnus. I never realized before just how bad his transgressions were, and yeah, you were really right when you showed the unfairness of having Edmund be portrayed forever as the traitor while Tumnus's worse betrayal is swept under the rug. It's kinda weird for me to have Tumnus portrayed as the bad guy, but in this case it makes sense.

Also, that quote from Oreius's dad? Love it!

And you helped me understand cricket in one paragraph, whaaa?

Loved this story! Keep it up!
Carter Ellis chapter 3 . 12/4/2013
Your stories always leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. You are a fantastic writer and your characters are believable. I just want to be transported into this world and befriend the Pevensie siblings and their Narnian friends (and with your stories, I feel like I have). Thank you so much!
Gaia was Framed chapter 3 . 12/24/2012
I am left speechless by the quality of this piece, so I will try to review as best I can.

I had never realized before that Tumnus' treachery was as bad, if not worse, than Edmund's - nor had I ever realized quite what a coward the Faun was. The way Oreius introduced the moral lesson at the end of Chapter II felt like C.S. Lewis could have written it; it was beautiful and subtle.

Your skill at writing defies description - suffice to say, it's vastly superior to most of the supposedly "original" fiction printed these days. The narrative voice and character development of Oreius was a truly magnificent feat.

My favorite part was the quote from Oreius' father: "A fool forgives and forgets, a tyrant neither forgives nor forgets, and a wise man forgives, but does not forget." Someday I will have to beg your permission to borrow that.

Anyway, thank you for writing and giving this fandom a good name.

GwF
KyoKati chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
Oh, my. I live in England (though it has only been six months) and from reading this chapter, I think I understand cricket much more than I did when I was actually watching it.
Kati
MCH chapter 3 . 6/14/2012
On catch up and found your great story.

Never given much thought to Tumnus being in the pay of Jadis. He did redeem himself by not turning Lucy in to the Queen. But he was still a traitor as he was safe because he agreed (maybe under duress) to help her.

A great story and I like how you told your story. Of how Oreius helped (well he had to, after he spoke to Tumnus originally) Edmund and Tumnus sorted things out in a least a civilized fashion despite Tumnus being a idiot in how he treated Edmund.

Made me think thanks you.
WriterWilf chapter 3 . 11/6/2011
Terrific.

Poor Tumnus and Ed, I've been in many situations like this before.
Xaipre chapter 3 . 7/3/2011
I really love this short piece. It displays a lot, while also being quite conversational...err, I also make my characters be quite talky, but when it is done right I think it can be more powerful than even the best written narration. Even with the outside perspective (or maybe because of it) the emotions are quite strong.

I take it that you're not the biggest fan of Faun Tumnus. He also struck me as being a somewhat shifty character. He was nice enough, and loyal, to Lucy, and that counts for quite a bit. But it almost seems like he ended up on the right side in spite of himself, and not because of it. So yeah, I'm not very sympathetic to him, and I really don't mind that he doesn't show up much in the rest of your stories. :shrug:

Again, thank you for the story.
Ayaia of the Moon chapter 3 . 4/27/2011
Intense. Glorious. :D

Great Job! Excellent, believable, characterized...

I can only praise. :)

~Ayaia
Desertfyre chapter 3 . 1/7/2011
Wonderful story! You know I never really gave much thought to Tumnus at the end of LWW and his part in this. Like Edmund said, guess it was a matter of scale. It was kinda weird making Tumnus the "bad guy" though but I liked the different view from Orieus. I'm glad that situation was resolved!
HarmonyLover chapter 3 . 12/1/2009
Wow. I have to say I'm a bit stunned by this one. It has never occured to me to think of Tumnus this way. Perhaps I'm a bit too much like Lucy. :) It was very well done, though, and you certainly gave Edmund a chance to be the brave and honorable person that he is. I loved that. Thank you!
Sincynati chapter 3 . 10/4/2009
Wow! This was defiantly amazing! I love the wisdom you impart into your fan fiction, it is true and honest. I also love how, once again, you give humor and seriousness both a place in the tale, having not humor overlapping so it distracts from the overall plot.

I absolutely loved it! Beautiful story, and it was amazing to read.
Sapphire Warrioress chapter 3 . 9/7/2009
This is a unique story.

I like how you brought up an often overlooked point, that Tumnus worked for Jadis and that choice is bound to have consequences.

That issue wasn't addressed in the books either, so it was fun to read your version of events here.

Wonderful job.