Reviews for New Perspective Evangelion
Blitzstrahl chapter 14 . 6/7/2019
Originally I read this 10 years ago.
Suddenly I remembered the scene where Misato was teaching Noriko how to use a tampon. While idly browsing NGE fics. I thought it was a femShinji fic.
So a Google search for female Shinji lead me to this, and it wasn't even till the tampon scene did I even realize, this was the very fic i was looking for lol.
Blitzstrahl chapter 10 . 6/5/2019
You know...
Now that I reread it. Noriko didn't lose the 2nd round.
Asuka sent unit 02 into some sort of dropkick or heeldrop maneuver, Noriko shots "destroyed" 02s feet.
The hatch protecting the entry plug cant be breached with a single knife strike, so... how'd Asuka win?
Blitzstrahl chapter 2 . 6/4/2019
Wierd that they introduce themselves with a plural.
2nd Child, not 2nd Children.
Blitzstrahl chapter 1 . 6/4/2019
Shouldn't "she" have asked what a EVA even is first?
Ruberforumfree chapter 1 . 3/23/2019
Of, course... one of the few and rare Self Insert fanfiction of Evangelion HAS to -fucking-be a Gender Bender one... god is dead
Aelain chapter 14 . 1/30/2019
Well this was excellent, wish it had kept updating. Very good characterization specially with the gender change that isnt normally well done in fanfiction.
Arkio chapter 14 . 1/14/2019
This fic is pretty amazing.

Realistic characterization, interesting scenes and logical divergence from cannon that is done beautifully is quite rare to find these days.

Although, I have to say that I am a bit dismayed at seeing when the last update happened. But you did have several months, even years between uptades so I'll keep hoping.
tatalalo chapter 7 . 11/7/2018
So Ive been reading for awhile now and I can't help but notice that the MC seems to have gender related issues, but not any tangible sense of gender dysphoria beyond the occasional aversion to "oh yes, a reminder to my current gender." Now, that may or may not be because the author wants to express a usually taboo concept in a safe, fantasy setting, or because this was written ten years ago.

Either or, I'd go as far to say that as far as the MC is concerned, is really rather well-adjusted, all things considered. Not that the inprompt sex change really should matter much since this isn't like one coming out to family members about being transgendered, so much as it's introducing yourself to strangers in a (previously) fantasy setting. The fact that there is an alibi in this sense gives something of a barrier to anything that might otherwise be unhandleable in a real world setting. Something that should really work to the MC's advantage. There is no issue with the MC revealing their original life, except that the only proof is by word alone, so really, all of the issues are internal.

So what are these internal issues?
Well, i think the MC seems to have a subtle gender double-standard, especially when it comes to the misplaced idea of 'gender-loyalty.' Also, a total lack of awareness of sexual attraction and what happens when exposing one's self to the opposite sex, something he really should know already by now, once being a man and supposedly having a girlfriend. Unless he assumed that being body-displaced, a fact which nobody else knows, somehow makes him an exception to the rule. I can't think up many reasons why he would act the way he does if not because he still sees himself as a man, and due to the subconscious double-standard, sees his actions as totally natural responses of a male perspective in this situation, so he should only act as if every little feminine thing matters, even when it really shouldn't.

Although, maybe that was just the period talking. I usually don't like when gender-bender stories use this trope, since most of those stories abuse it for the sake of a gimmick. Menstruation is different for each woman, and the extreme version that is common in general fiction is rare irl. In this case, you wrote it in a way where it blends with the tone of the story well enough.

Clothing choices between men and women is huge though, like entering entirely new cultures of fashion(and alt-world Japanese fashion at that), so any sort of reaction makes sense.
Matthew Badger chapter 11 . 6/15/2017
The sad thing is, the SI really has had what he feared come true - His original personality is gone. Sure he has similar likes now, maintains little quirks and acts less feminine occasionally, but the true core of his personality has vanished.

He's completely lost what made him who he was and even worse, he can no longer understand or recognise why that's a bad thing. Truly a nightmare scenario, handled beautifully by the author.

Nice to see gender-bending played straight for once. :)
Matthew Badger chapter 10 . 6/15/2017
As a guy myself, this story has turned out to be one of the most chilling psychological horrors imaginable.
LostCompass chapter 14 . 6/5/2017
Nine years. That's a long time for a story. Well, relatively.

Anyway, I approached this one with apprehension. A self-insert fanfiction where the author is directly interacting with the protagonists... and a possession/sex inversion element as well. So much could go terribly, terribly wrong.

Oddly, not much did.

Your character struggles. Your character tries to navigate his-well, her-situation, sometimes with success and often with failure. She does not effortlessly outwit or somehow outmaneuver characters twice or thrice her age (and with much more experience) by nature of being the author. You manage to create a sense of real discomfort and dysphoria that gradually, if incompletely, evaporates.

The story itself is incomplete, and so far, the rationale of Kaworu-changing variables in the timeline until the right one emerges-isn't exactly novel. Then again, it doesn't have to be. The day-to-day issues and the character's attempts to establish a sense of self yet still survive are much more compelling. In fact, the part where Kaworu attempts to explain dimensional metaphysics to the main character comes across as... well, almost comedic. Some thing are best left unelaborated. But that was your decision.

Now, there are a lot of formatting errors-missed periods, missed quotation marks, spacing issues, the occasional misspelling. Normally that would cause me to hit the eject button, but it's one Hell of an indicator to your storytelling ability that I'm still here. Yes, your story was compelling enough that I didn't care (all too much) about spelling or grammar. Grating, yes, but... well, it seems like you rush when you write, and you're excited to get your ideas down. Not necessarily negative, but something to consider.

There is also a bit of repetition in the story, sometimes in the same chapter-of descriptions, mostly. That's a symptom of the excitement of writing in a rush. It doesn't detract a lot from the story, and since this has almost spanned a decade it's understandable that you may unconsciously repeat yourself.

So, I say to you, Dubliner:

Not bad. Not bad at all.
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 14 . 5/18/2017
And not-so-suddenly I'm glad there's not more of this to read.
Guest chapter 9 . 5/18/2017
"But I didn't want to be punished for it. Ten years in prison, at least, for the pair of us."
You mean two-ish more months, right?
Gemini011 chapter 13 . 2/28/2017
I think the format of this chapter worked well.

On another note, perhaps pertinent given the method used to destroy the angel, while "And If That Don't Work" was a fascinating fic, at the end of the day I really hate it... and not just for what happens to Asuka.

That said, you're doing a great job with this story... and your use of tone in this chapter was well executed and highly effective. There's a lot that I like about this fic, and I'm a little sad that there's only one more chapter before I'm fully caught up.
Gemini011 chapter 12 . 2/28/2017
"Wulfenbach peace edict," huh. No zeppelins, though, I assume.
175 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »