Reviews for Rain
elsewhere-wanttobe chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
damn, it' heartbreaking! I should never have read this at that late hour of night, then sleep simply wouldn't come any near to me!
the angst-filled sweetness in the beginning, the desperate realization near the end... you not only gave me an Alex in flesh and blood, wandering between memory and reality, love and despair. you also granted me a feast of emotions and feelings in their utter most intensity...
being cut off half his soul, the cut went even deeper with ever more pieces of the memories of Hephaestion being relived by Alex. His perfect lover, flawless in the core, roots Alex's mind, cherished by his heart... that irrevocable loss turned such love into the worst enemy of Alex's sanity...
Though I always dislike Bagoas, and Roxane, and your story gave me even more reasons to hate(!) them, you still made it impossible for me to deny my understanding for them, why they felt what they felt, why they did what they did. every feeling of theirs was caused by their intense, though bit twisted or violent, love none the less; every deed they took was evoked by those strong feelings... they were also slaves of their hearts, of their untamable feelings and emotions, so in certain way, they were just like Alex... Sigh, you made me hate Bagoas and Roxane at same time made me cannot hate those two...

(I don't know if I'm even making sense?! anyway it's just a Chinese fan-girl writing some insensible feedback during her working hours XD)
deelove1 chapter 1 . 1/18/2011
Wonderful!
Ange De La Misericorde chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
I can't begin to imagine experiencing the anguished pain over the loss of a soul mate. This story was a real tear jerker and I am not one to cry. I look foreword to reading more of your work_
Mistress of Nightmares chapter 1 . 5/29/2010
That was mind-blowingly good. The twist took me /completely/ by surprise (I'm obviously not very perceptive lol) and got me quite deep emotionally. This was a really good concept and you tied everything together really well, awesome fic! :)
Maydn chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
That was such a surprising twist for me! The atmosphere in the beginning was very dense and somehow haunting, and still I couldn't quite understand - but I didn't see it coming at all, even though I've watched the "6th Sense" movie... ;)

Fantastic way of approaching this topic, very suspenseful and creepy. In a good way.

Your story truly is a great read and the second twist, the 'why', was just as interesting and unexpected to me. Maybe that part is from the book (which I haven't read...) but it made sense and would be a much better reason for the deed than simple 'jealousy'. Very well done!

The ending felt at first a bit anticlimactic but then you went back to the unfinished-map theme, and that was just brilliant. What a wonderful metaphor! I really am totally awed. It's definitely the kind of story I need to read again to grasp all of its wonderfulness. ;)
Rita593 chapter 1 . 12/6/2009
OMG, this was brilliant really. Never imagined he was dead and when I realised it was heartbreakingly sad.
evave2 chapter 1 . 8/26/2008
First off, why is the title Rain? Was it really tears?

I thought that Hephaistion was actually haunting Alexander for a few minutes there, and did not realize that it was a sign of madness.

I am surprised that Eumenes was the only one who tried to get thru to Alexander.

There are a couple of books out about the "murder" of Alexander the Great: one posits Ptolemy (Phillip's illegitimate son finally sick of being not even the number 2 guy; going along with the Antipater clan who also conspire) and other Roxanne.

THAT author says he thinks she poisoned Hephaistion first, it worked and then she poisoned Alexander at the last feast for Hephaistion's funeral (he seemed to think that was significant, that Alexander was drinking TO Hephaistion when he became ill. I was a little skeptical until I read that the first thing she did was strangle (with her own hands, I mean not order but DO) Stateira AND Drypetis. She was really a nasty piece of work.

This was a lovingly creepy story, I could believe how Alexander would come up with this solution and the idea that she was the one to break thru his happy fog of love made me even dislike her more.

Another review said they felt sorry for her. Hey, crap happens: what she did she knew could get her killed. She knew what Alexander was like, he wouldn't put her away for being barren, he had thought he was the one who couldn't parent because he really wasn't interested in her. I didn't feel sorry for her, it wasn't that she was worried about HIM and HER it was that she didn't want to be relegated to second wife. And if she thought he was the one who was barren it wouldn't make any difference if he slept with his other wives, hey, he would strike out there too.

This was a well-thought out well-presented story. Believable in all its aspects to me.

Thank you very much.
The Littlest Bit chapter 1 . 4/21/2007
... *hesitantly raises hand* Well, I didn't know he was till the VERY end. *sniffles* So sad...
Kyme chapter 1 . 3/31/2007
...I didn't guess he was dead. Honest. and when I remember.. that Hephaestion died... I was very close to crying. ;_; OH HEPHAESTION... poor Alexander...
khepri2 chapter 1 . 1/27/2007
A Truly lovely and moving story of how Alexander dealt with the loss of Hephaestion. I don't mind a bit of poetic licence when a story is this good.
Baliansword chapter 1 . 1/24/2007
OMG!

I totally love what you did with this story! I like that Hephaestion is completely a figment of Alexander's imagination, hence why others did not react, etc.

I completely love the idea in general. I can't remember seeing anyone try something so complex. Yet, even though you have a complex plot, your writing has a tender simplicity to it. I like that with something so complex, the language is simplistic and easy flowing; hence, it is easier to read.

Cannot wait to see more from you. This story is a new favorite.

Baliansword
Lyra Skywalker chapter 1 . 1/17/2007
Very good! I quite loved it!

And I didn't guess that he was dead. P

Good work!
CoralDawn chapter 1 . 1/14/2007
I guessed that Hephaistion was dead when Eumenes did not say or seem to notice anything about him draped around the King - but that's ONLY because one of my favorite Hephaistion-is-dead stories has a similar theme. However, I did NOT guess that Hephaistion was made only from Alexander's memories - that makes it so much sadder - giving a terrible finality to Alexander's loss when he finaly wakes up to cold reality. I loved the little touches like Hephaistion not finishing the map, or Alexander plucking out the silver hair, or Hephaistion being an even more idealised and younger version of his self compared to when he was alive. The gold ring is a great tie-in to your other stories, FL and FAFH. Roxana's story and involvement make a very plausible scenario and I found her pretty despicable - she deserved what she later got, in history...

At the end of the story, what remains is Alexander's utter sense of loss. ""Hephaestion," he murmured. "If you too were Alexander, then he surely has died with you."" Beautiful story, loved it.

(One question: what did India steal from Alexander that he loved? In thsi story, did Hephaistion die in India?)
Yolass chapter 1 . 1/9/2007
Waow, great story, and so very original.

I love that I felt myself wrapped in the same uneasiness and awkwardness as Alexander was ... and to tell you the truth, I didn't get exactly what was going on until quite late (actually when Roxane comes in the room and open the curtains of the bed ...) but I knew something was quite wrong ... so,for me it was perfect!

Yolass
Trust No One chapter 1 . 1/8/2007
When did I realize he was dead? Good one... the first time the thought passed through my mind was when Eumenes walked into the tent and ignored Hephaistion on Alexander's lap. The second incident was when Hephaistion says that he will never finish the map. Very craftily done though, the stifling atmosphere and the horror so well hidden just under the surface, in the somber moods and forced laughter of the others. Great start to what I hope is a lavish year of Alexander fics.