Reviews for The Way We Were
jess.c.kong chapter 37 . 1/21
That was certainly a roller coaster! I am a big fan of Iruka, but oh boy if I didn't want to wring his neck every time he questioned why Kakashi was upset or angsty! Even if he believed Kakashi was joking about their relationship (platonic or otherwise), he should have known after a few weeks that he was being serious and attempted to take it seriously. My heart broke for Kakashi when Iruka confessed he was just humored him, and every time Iruka played dumb about why Kakashi looked in pain when he carelessly threw casual words around or showed up when Kakashi finally resolved to leave him alone. Likewise I felt for Iruka every time Kakashi mentioned their past. What got to me was how Iruka didn't even try acknowledge Kakashi's feelings; even if he didn't believe they had a relationship, he could have at least let him have his 'one sided ' love and told him he didn't like him that way. Whoooo, okay...that fact just really irked me. I'll stop now...
What I loved: Pakkun's revenge on Iruka (kind of had it coming ;p), the side plot with Takigakure (you write action and angst well so don't despair!), your accurate portrayal of how hard it is to communicate what you want to the one you love (as much as I hate it, I secretly love angst), the way you hinted that the Iruka Kakashi fell in love with wasn't the real Iruka (because six months couples may still be in that 'honeymoon' phase), their love coming full circle (though the story could have had a little more intimate Kakashi/Iruka moments), and the fact you included that small detail in the epilogue of Iruka kissing Kakashi's hand. What I expected more of: As mentioned before, a more understanding Iruka, a longer recovery period for Iruka, more evidence of him struggling with his memory loss (why didn't he have trouble relating to anyone else except Kakashi? For example, the only evidence of his memory loss was when he ran into Kakashi's neighbor but he was perfectly fine on his first day of teaching). Overall, I was thoroughly entertained and glad to read the entire story. Though I pictured the path a bit different, the destination I envisioned was the same. Thank you for sharing your work. Best of luck on your other stories; can't wait to read more of your work!
Galenchia chapter 37 . 6/7/2014
Just wanted to leave a review to let you know that people are still reading this and enjoying it four years later! And your author's notes were so cute.
Guest chapter 37 . 1/18/2014
One of my most favorite fan fiction stories.
Rika90 chapter 37 . 8/11/2013
Well there is only one word to discribe your story...epic! Thank you for this awesome story! 3
Jukebox chapter 37 . 7/2/2013
That was truly a wonderful, enjoyable story. So much sorrow, pain, yet joy and hope. Thank you for sharing!
Viviane Renard chapter 37 . 4/9/2013
What a beautiful story! I adored your twist on an old plot device, of Iruka losing his memory of his time with Kakashi. I loved the detail you put into this story, from the emotional seesaw Kakashi and Iruka experienced to the dangerous spy mission. My only piece of constructive criticism is that I felt that you stretched out the time before Iruka's operation a little too much. I can understand wanting to emphasize the love between Kakashi and Iruka, but when you spend approximately ten chapters setting up the "pre plot" to a 37 chapter story, a little over a quarter of your story is set up. I like to see a little more "meat and potatoes" in my stories. In that sense, I felt the plot wasn't balanced. Otherwise, I love this story to death!

I love how you take a melancholic phrase repeated throughout the story ("It's never the same the second time around"), and turn it into a positive fact in the epilogue:

"Because," He smiled a warm, genuine Kakashi smile as he laid a hand over Iruka's own. "the second time round, it's even better."

It felt like the perfect way to wrap up a fantastic story.
Servatika chapter 37 . 2/28/2013
Wow...I just have to say this was an amazing read. I love your portrayal of Iruka and Kakashi, and the development of their relationship. I read all 37 chapters of angst in one go. And yeah, I definitely cried halfway through (and moreso near the end). I was even reading this while listening to music, and the song "Fall to Pieces" by Avril Lavigne seem to fit so perfectly with the relationship between Kakashi and Iruka. It helped set the mood even more for me.
Thank you for this great read.
Yuzicx chapter 37 . 1/18/2013
I nvr read the other chapters exept for this one (ch 37) and even without knowing the exact details , but just a rough outline through the summary, i cried . It takes alot for me to cry, so yeah, this was really good . I loved it ( well this chap at least) sry but im not gonna read d other chaps as im pretty sure its much much more sad and angsty._.
Iruka Lover chapter 3 . 1/8/2013
I can't do it... I can't. Dx

(I can and will)

Oh... why would I torture myself with this...

('Cuz it's a good story.)

BUT THEY'RE SO PERFECT TOGETHER AND JUST ALL THE UPCOMING ANGST! DX

(But it'll be worth it)

Q_Q You make a good point, me. :c

(Of course! I'm you!)

*sigh* On we go... *clicks "Next " but then realizes he has school tomorrow, so sighs forlornly and bookmarks next chapter*

Well done!
Eru-chan chapter 37 . 12/7/2012
This is beautiful! I love how Iruka never regains his memory... it's rare in these kind of stories but it absolutely works and it wouldn't be the same any other way. Thank you for writing! XD
Ninkage chapter 37 . 12/5/2012
This really was a great story. Only after I finished it did I realize that this was more of an angst fic instead of romance. Nonetheless, it was refreshing to get a short break from the romance that I usually read.

Once again, I greatly enjoyed your story and I cannot wait to read whatever you write next!
fangirl-4-ever-xx chapter 37 . 11/10/2012
Beautiful fanfic! I loved all the angst!
SurviveEternity chapter 37 . 9/6/2012
I can breathe again and the tears have left my eyes. Whoo! Progress!

I love this fic.
SurviveEternity chapter 32 . 9/6/2012
This whole chapter...My soul hurts now. Oh, God...Kakashi...
SurviveEternity chapter 26 . 9/6/2012
Augh! You! Stop breaking my heart! Seriously! I kinda need that thing.

This fic is amazing and so, so heartbreaking...