Reviews for Kindred Spirits
BiblioMatsuri chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
*nods* Nice.
Icicle Streams chapter 1 . 1/29/2011
Great. Short, sharp and shiny, and the last two lines are perfect :)
konARTISTE chapter 1 . 5/24/2007
That was amazing! Simply wonderful. And in such few words.
Yemi Hikari chapter 1 . 1/28/2007
Awsume. Is hitokiri supposed to be capitalized of uncapitalized. It has been a while since I've read anything about Rurouni Kenshin. I also can't remeber what the word means either.
gure chapter 1 . 1/18/2007
The first word that came to mind after reading this was 'incisive'. Then it occurred to me what an awful pun that is. Terrible pun aside, this is a great piece. With a minimum of words, you got straight to the point, and this drabble is so strong for it. I love the comparison; Megumi can be such a shrew, sometimes that aspect of her personality overshadows subtleties that make her every bit as complex a character as Kenshin. Nicely done.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 1/12/2007
I never thought of comparing Megumi's skill with a scalpel to Kenshin's use of a katana.

It reminded me a lot of Katsura's words in the OAV about what you need to do to overturn a corrupt system.

The last line about counting the cost was interesting because I'd never really considered that amputation would have an emotional effect on a doctor, while the effect murdering had on Kenshin was all too clear.

Interesting drabble!
Fenikkusuken chapter 1 . 1/12/2007
Not OOC at all! Gave me insight into what deeper motivation Megumi had for allying herself with the Kenshin-gumi; kindred spirit, indeed.
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 1/12/2007
tokugawa bakufu was considered a malignancy, so were the czar in russia, the emperor in china, etc.

i keep remembering the words of 'the who' song: 'we won't be fooled again', "... get on my knees and pray We don't get fooled again Don't get fooled again No, no! Yeah! Meet the new boss Same as the old boss ..."

(Ecclesiastes 8:9) . . .man has dominated man to his injury.. . .

(Jeremiah 10:23) . . .to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step. . .

sometimes even when you cut out the cancer or the necrotic tissue the patient doesn't recover.

your story was profound, eloquent... you said much with so few words.

ginny
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 1/11/2007
I must admit I never really thought about the connection between Kenshin and Megumi in terms of their ability to affect life and death for those they focus on. You use such spare but beautifully powerfully imagery to draw the connection, revealing such a natural parallel. The opening line is like a lightening rod, drawing immediate attention and channeling the strikes to come. I love the analogy of the "cancers [that] must be cut out..." just as Kenshin cut away the cancer of the Shogunate, eliminating pieces that were deemed rotten. The language throughout is deceptively straight forward and yet you reveal a complexity and understanding to Megumi that I hadn’t considered. Nicely done.
sueb262 chapter 1 . 1/11/2007
Wow, does this one every open with a bang! "Knows something of blades", indeed! This one actually gave me chills. Megumi has always seemed to me a weightier character, truly more of a woman than the other female characters, and I love to see her spotlighted like this. I can just see her carrying her everyday burden of responsibility for the lives of those who come to her, summed up so powerfully with her understanding of the hitokiri and his master's commands.

And, except for the loveliness and poignancy of those images, this story could almost have stood on the opening and closing sentences; they make a complete and powerful whole, sounding twin drumbeats of fate and choice.
Warg chapter 1 . 1/11/2007
Hey,

I've wondered.. and well, this was very worth the wait.

The opening sentence sets up the tone so well.. and the rest follows up nicely. Ending's fitting.

Nice read, and thank you. _

Scarred Sword Heart chapter 1 . 1/10/2007
The doctor's scalpel, the swordsman's blade. Different at first glance, but at the heart very similar. Great juxtaposition.