Reviews for Revelations
crankyman7 chapter 1 . 1/30
Finally, some time to read and review fanfiction. And my, what a fic to read.

I don't know how you did it, but I honestly felt like I was reading a piece of prose by Lloyd Alexander here. This is heart-achingly beautiful material, and I don't have a single complaint. Not. One.

Favorited.
Thistlerose chapter 1 . 4/6/2009
This is lovely. I always wondered how and when Taran told Eilonwy about her mother. I love that Fflewddur gave him the nudge, albeit inadvertently. Very nice!

-Thistlerose
Lealfaithful chapter 1 . 11/26/2008
haha i luved it. u got the characters just right
lyrical-harmonies chapter 1 . 8/13/2008
Saeriellyn! Wow, I've read all of your stories, but I didn't realize it was you until you posted 'Resolution' on dA. I love your writing! Your characterization is amazing! Eilonwy was dead-on.
Alex Prosper chapter 1 . 7/14/2008
“If you joined us just to be discouraging and depressing,” she remarked, “you’re succeeding. Personally I’d like to think about something else for a while, which is what we were doing.” (cackles)I love it when Eilonwy cuts Taran's melodrama short with one swift of her sharp sarcastic tongue. Truth be told, she actually annoyed me when I was younger, but now I find it funny. That was totally a Taran/Eilonwy hallmark hehe. I don't want to litter this review with quotes since I loved practically each and every witty line in this fic. Fflew-fflew's stuttering and Eilonwy's quick gibes had me grinning from ear to ear.

I love it love it love it! Imma put it on my favs!

Perfect combination of light comedy and drama. You captured Taran's awkwardness in revealing Angharad's fate so perfectly; Taran did a fine job of it I must say, and Eilonwy's reaction was heart-wrenching.

A sweet orphan moment Aw...but then I'm a sucker for Eilonwy and Taran.
apostrophus chapter 1 . 7/2/2008
:3! Very cute. I do love this fandom; thanks for contributing!

~Amunet 8D
Freawaru chapter 1 . 9/17/2007
perfect, perfect, perfect! I love it! So real and in character and all that!

on a slightly different note, I'm getting the seeds of a Prydain fic, and was wondering if you'd be willing to Beta it for me in the future when there's something to read other than my notes?
merln chapter 1 . 9/14/2007
(yeah, I went to bed last night after reading your other Prydain one-shot and the Princess Diaries).

Good heavens, no explosions here! I'm glad that Eilonwy and Taran were able to talk this over without screaming, sarcasm and tears-they both show remarkable self-possession, especially in those trying times.

Again, your words fit like a glove-one you found while wandering in an antique shop, tried on on a whim, and were astonished to find clinging to your fingers like a second skin (only made of cloth, not flesh, and gleaming with silk threads in a pattern that seems to change as you look, revealing hidden depths of complexity beyond your comprehension... at least, hidden for now).

Well, that was a bit of a conceit (considering I didn't want to keep repeating myself, it seemed fitting).
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 7/18/2007
Aw, darling Taran and Eilonwy sap! So sweet, I adore it!

So, I really love your Fflewddur at the beginning. The truthful harp doesn't often have occasion to snap strings for reasons other than broad colorful exaggeration, so it's really interesting and insightful to see it doing its stuff in this context - Fflewddur trying to gloss things over to spare Eilonwy pain.

And your Taran, too, is lovely. I adore the little part with him thinking about wanting nothing more than to run away with Eilonwy to somewhere safe and far from war and pain and hardship... and how perfectly fitting it is that ultimately he chooses the very opposite in passing up his chance to go to the Summer Country. And I love the way you highlight how he so stubbornly refuses to talk about his feelings for her while there are grim tasks at hand.

And Eilonwy, finally. Since the Chronicles of Prydain are so very often written from Taran's point of view, we don't often see into Eilonwy's head. Rather we see her as Taran sees her, as a bit of an enigma (silly boy). You do a fantastic job here of showing us a glimmer of Eilonwy's inner thoughts, her questions and sadness about her mother. It's so beautifully done! I absolutely adore it. I'm getting the impression that you go deeper into that with your "Princess Diaries" story (cute title, but the way!) so I think I shall put that on my reading list...

Beautiful, lovely piece.
Just reviewing chapter 1 . 7/15/2007
I'm also a fanfic writer and I absolutly LOVE what you said in your bio. They're great characters until some weirdo teen (I'm 12 so I can't be considered one yet) decides to put some sexually twist on it! I hate it when that happens. Thanks for being someone who is smart enough to say something about it.

~Stardust-sprinkler
Nightwing6 chapter 1 . 5/21/2007
Very sweet. Thanks for guiding me here. I'm not sure if it eases the pain of losing Lloyd Alexander or makes it worse, but it is a nice tribute to him that we love his stories enough to immerse ourselves further and explore his characters on our own.

Whoops. Poor Fflewddur. He was so embarrassed, and I felt for him as he excused himself and went off after putting his foot in it. I hope they made him feel better when he returned.

I swear you are truly Eilonwy on earth, or you are channelling her somehow (can one channel a fictional character?). Her speech patterns and observations are remarkable. I really loved it when she said of the broken harp string - "they do make rather lovely shapes, don't they?" That one just made me howl.

I do love thinking of the quiet times of the Companions, when they sit around the fire at night and talk. I enjoy little gap-fillers and getting into their heads. Lots of fine plot-bunnies pop up, and you took advantage of a good one.
fiona chapter 1 . 2/11/2007
I didnt actually read this, because I'm not familiar with this book. But I really wanted to comment on your profile, and what you said about the limits of fanfiction. I completely agree with you. The thing that bothers me most about fanfiction is that so often the stories I find have some problem, whether it is bad writing or off-canon characters, and each time I encounter this it ruins my take on the story a little more. I wish all fanfic authors understood the limits they work in, and I wish you wrote Lord of the Rings fiction. good luck with your writing, though.
Shiva the Sarcastic chapter 1 . 1/12/2007
I like it. This is a wonderful oneshot.
adaon45 chapter 1 . 1/12/2007
How marvelous, your writing this story. I love your multi-chaptered fic, but it's great to see you also at your ease with the one-shot format. The story is nicely shaped as a whole.

Several things I particularly liked and appreciated:

1) I am so glad you picked this gap to fill. It is one of the suggestively yawning holes in the chronicles, Taran finding out about how Eilonwy's mother's died before (presumably) she does. When would he tell her? I'm glad you gave us a plausible scenario for how he might impart this information.

2) In keeping with this idea, I also really enjoyed the deft give-and-take between Taran and Eilonwy. It's delightful to see you place these two together in a format other than a flashback; I love the way you do these in Princess Diaries, but here we get a chance to see the more mature Taran and Eilonwy and how they respond to each other. There are a lot of nice subtle touches, like Taran's sense of irony that Eilonwy startled out of him this information before he can reveal that other Big Secret, his love for her. An open secret, perhaps-giving that lovely bit where he tucks her hair behind her ear-but still a secret. I love the sense of the secrets that even lovers keep from each other. This theme adds a lot of psychological richness to the portrayal of our twosome.

3) I loved the way you portrayed Fflewddur-very canon-true. We've been talking about him on our authors' forum, so I particularly enjoyed this portrait.

4) I liked the sense of visual detail, the way the camera pans back to show all those little fires and people trying to warm themselves, the way you mention details like the sparkling stone on Eilonwy's ring (that very significant ring, as it will turn out).

I have just one suggestion, and I throw this in in case you are ever interested in coming back to this one. It has to do with Eilonwy's response to Taran's information about her mother's death. Might she be more upset than she is here by finding out the ghastly circumstances of her mother's death? That story has always wrung my heart: Angharad dying utterly alone, bereft of husband (presumably dead) and her kidnapped daughter. And worse: dying in Morda's house. Not exactly the comforting presence I'd like on my deathbed, I'll tell you. How horribly isolated Angharad would have been. One can only hope that, as she lay dying, she clung to some sense of how she had been loved. So horrid-what would Morda even have done with her body? It's hard to imagine him giving her a decent burial.

So: I wonder if Eilonwy's feelings could be more mixed, both a certain relief at being finally certain of Angharad's death, and horror at how she died. Could she also be the more likely to want to hear Taran's tale of how he bested Morda because it would have been emotionally satisfying to know your own true love defeated the creep who had been so cruel to your mother in her hour of need?

Just a thought, as I said. The story is lovely as it is, and I long, as usual, voraciously for more.
FanFictionFantom chapter 1 . 1/11/2007
Cute, but you never have kissing XD