Reviews for The Pain of Understanding
VanillaSlash chapter 2 . 7/10/2008
This was a really good senario of what may have happened during/after Haratio telling Yelina the truth. Great job putting it into words!
Giwu chapter 2 . 10/6/2007
I thought you did a good job capturing Horatio, but you did an amazing job with Yelina. I am lokoing forward to reading more of your stories.
Giwu chapter 1 . 10/6/2007
What a good behind-the-scene look into H's mind. This is a great companion piece. On to chapter two.
tigerlily124 chapter 2 . 1/20/2007
I always feel so sorry for Horatio in all of this, but I know that Yelina comes to realize that he was trying to protect her. Thanks for posting!
Rainbow Stevie chapter 2 . 1/20/2007
You know what I really love about this part? How you managed to explain Stetler and Yelina's relationship in a way that held true to what we know about him, but also let us see it from HER point of view. I've always found it impossible to understand what she saw in him; much as I tried I could only ever get a vague, theoretical explanation. But you articulated it, showing us if only briefly a more tender side of him. Still, I love the details of how his attempts at comfort betray his personality - particularly "breath too hot and voice too cool."

Stetler's accusation that she was just using him to make Horatio jealous was a good one. I imagine that's exactly the kind of conclusion he would jump to. I'm also chuckling at how he's rhapsodizing about their pending night, and she's completely tuning him out and focusing on her own thoughts. How often does she do that, I wonder? ::insert devilish grin here:: Anyway, this was a nice conclusion. The episode rather shafted us on the last bit of this storyline, so I'm very glad you gave it back some substance and filled in some of the time gap. For some reason, I've never bothered to wonder exactly what changed her mind, but the idea of a scenario in which Ray Jr. was lying ill was like a jigsaw puzzle falling into place.
Dian chapter 2 . 1/18/2007
Good insight in Horatio and Yelina -thanks
Squeeka Cuomo chapter 2 . 1/17/2007
I really love this chapter.

It relates to the first part but it still manages to have a voice and life of his own.

One of the things that I really loved was the distinction between Yelina being a cop/woman and her being a mother. That's such a striking difference and you used it very well.

You were worried about this being to abrupt and, it's not. You added in some lovely details that kept it from being choppy and in doing so, those details really stand out. Instantly, my mind goes to the nail of her index finger and the metallic clang of the shcool bell.

V. well done.
tigerlily124 chapter 1 . 1/15/2007
Very good! I wonder how Yelina will act when she realizes that Horatio was trying to protect her?
Lakshmibai chapter 1 . 1/15/2007
I've read this a couple of times now, but I wanted to have some clear idea of what to say before I reviewed it.

This is, simply, one of the most powerful pieces of writing posted on this site in a long time. There is so much right with this I don't know where to begin. Horatio's guilt and the way he blames himself for everything, the focus on the past while trying to look to the future, the way the little details are noted (like the way Yelina's heels scuff on the floor) - I could go on.

I cannot wait for Part 2, and I look forward to more from you. Well done!
Rainbow Stevie chapter 1 . 1/13/2007
For weeks I've been lounging around on this site, waiting in vain for people to come up with stories like this. Poetic, illustrative, enlightening descriptions of Horatio. From the first gripping line, the writing quality is stellar and never wavers.

"Noose like a necklace," YES! I'm jumping up and down in circles right now because you GET it. You're one of the few people who can take what we're given about the character and translate it into words that make the emotion roll off the page in waves. His mental anguish and self doubt are clear. What's more, this is like a...definitive guide to the subtext of both this scene and the relationship between Horatio and Yelina overall. Explains everything so well; never sounds forced or out of character.

For (another) example, "There was a time when she would have spotted Raymond’s qualities in a person first ... the brother-in-law wonders when he replaced his sibling in this manner." Observe as my mouth slowly falls open. What a perfect way of putting it. God, this is amazing! I keep saying that to myself approximately every third line, but when I got to the last sentence...goodness. Will be eagerly awaiting the next installment.
Squeeka Cuomo chapter 1 . 1/13/2007
I loved this. I really did. The tone is so sad and intense that, from what I've seen of the show, I can fully believe that this is how Horatio would react.

Dear Horatio is a man of few words but through the images and the attention to his physical presence, you make him say so much. I really liked that about this fic.

You took a delicate situation and wrote it with grace. Never once did I roll my eyes or curse it for being cliche. It had a very nice somber quality to it.

V. good.