Reviews for Failure to Communicate
Cutter12 chapter 1 . 7/19/2012
As always, your story was a joy to read, but almost as fun was reading the reviews to this story.
The debate of picking on Don vs its Don's fault that's going on here is very entertaining to read. :D
For this episode, I'm on the Don's fault team. He did have an entitlement feel about him without any regard of what Charlie was going through. But, I did love how quickly Don went into big brother mode when the nasty NSA agents started picking on Charlie.
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
I really liked this story. Good job.
Bunny1 chapter 1 . 11/18/2009
Aw... I like this one. Although, I loved that episode myself. Saw it yesterday on TNT, and I loved how, while Don WASN'T being as understanding as he could have at FIRST, when those NSA-holes were yelling at Charlie, he all but yanked him behind him and had the "keep messing with my baby brother, I'll kick your ass" stance.
FairCritic chapter 1 . 12/4/2007
please write a sequel to this! pleasepleaseplease!
MorganD chapter 1 . 11/14/2007
Wow, great scene! It really should be in that episode too. Thank you so much for writing it and sharing it with us all.
nate chapter 1 . 4/6/2007
And what about all the episodes where Charlie is arrogant and condescending towards Don? That's like three quarters of all of them! So what if Don was once doing the same back at Charlie?

Don has gotten the short straw since Charlie's genius was discovered I think it's only normal that he snaps back sometimes. Most brothers wouldn't still be so good to Charlie after everything.
Rinne chapter 1 . 1/31/2007
Very well done.
Jelsemium chapter 1 . 1/24/2007
I'm rather disappointed in this. I really think you are being unfair to Don. He never said that he did not think that Charlie's contribution was unimportant. (If he did think Charlie's work was unimportant, then why would he get upset if it wasn't done?)

Charlie promised that he'd do a job for Don. He did not do it. If someone broke an important promise to you, wouldn't you get upset?

The viewers knew why Charlie couldn't do the job, but Don had no way of knowing that Charlie's time had been commandeered by the NSA. Even knowing that Charlie does work for other government agencies doesn't mean that he will instantly realized what happened.
Lee chapter 1 . 1/23/2007
“Don needs to become a lot more sensitive to the fact that Charlie is a civilian consultant with other work, other concerns and the fact that Don IS NOT his boss. (No that' Millie's job *shudders*)”

I’m counter arguing the point posted here…..

Technically when Charlie’s working as a PAID consultant for the FBI on a case, Don is his boss. Charlie is NOT volunteering his time for the FBI he is being paid to work cases for them. (It’s been mentioned a couple of times on the show: Megan commenting Charlie’s earning his consulting fees for example.) So when Charlie’s working for the FBI with Don’s team—as lead agent Don IS Charlie’s boss. Charlie’s NOT working for the FBI out of the goodness of his heart. They pay him well and give him lots and lots of steady work.

Charlie was being paid by the FBI to work their case first and back-burned with NO solid explanation to the agent in charge of the case. I think Don had every reason to be a little miffed by this. Charlie could have just stood up and told Don that a classified matter had come up but he didn’t. Just my humble opinion of course but if ANY other civilian had pulled that stunt on Don besides Charlie…. I’d give them a 50/50 shot at finding the body.

Lee
Alice I chapter 1 . 1/22/2007
A couple of reviewers mentioned a desire to see some further exploration of this. I must say I am inclined to agree with them.

When Don walked into Charlie's garage and told him that putting his case on hold for a little while wasn't good enough I thought that was pretty harsh. As you pointed out they were not trying to save a life they were looking for dead bodies.

The fact that Charlie told Don that he couldn't talk about it should have immediately clued him into the fact that he was also working on something classified.

- I mean Don is an FBI agent right?

- He is supposed to be an excellent investigator right?

- He is trained to notice little phrases that tell a more complete story right?

- Oh yeah and he knows damned well that Charlie also consults for other alphabet organizations.

I thought that Don made up for it a little bit when he defended Charlie against those attack dogs they used for NSA agents though, but I do think that this is an issue that has been building since the beginning of the series.

Don needs to have a showdown with Charlie at some point where Charlie points out to him that he is not the only person that Charlie answers to. His full time job - a tenured professor at one of the most prestigious universities in the country - is and should be his main and most important focus. A little lesson in humility and priorities is in order.

Lets hope that the writers at CBS channel a little of you at some point. Oh now I had better be careful what I wish for. The next thing you know David Krumholtz will have to do a near death scene or something while Don holds his bloody battered body in his arms. Alan of course will make a little chicken soup because that cures all ills. he he he

Just kidding about Alan.

Okay I'm rambling...

Carry on.
JMM chapter 1 . 1/16/2007
I see I'm not the only one who wanted to smack Don upside the head when he threw his temper tantrum.

I wish this would happen in the series - Don does seem to expect Charlie to drop everything because *his* job is more important. I'd love to see them confront this issue.
knadineg chapter 1 . 1/16/2007
I missed part of this episode, but after reading this the first time I watched it again online. I'm glad you wrote this because I was ready to beat Don & Alan for getting on Charlie like that. Someone needs to remind them that Charlie consults for more than the FBI. Keep up the great work!
theallbadhat chapter 1 . 1/15/2007
Okay, my longwinded version didn't show, so I hope I'm not repeating myself and really sounding like a jerk. The writing, as always, is great. However, I disagree with your point of view.

You defended Charlie by making out the rest of the cast as if they are jerks. They aren't. They don't mistreat Charlie. Actually, at least one of them have put their lives on the line in protecting him. All people get yelled at by their bosses, and since Charlie agreed to do that assignment for Don, he should have done it and deserved Don's frustration in not following through. He does get a good fee for his work and lives in a house his brother could not even begin to dream of owning, yet it is Don who puts his life on the line. So I have no tears for Charlie. Let me get all that money and if my older sister wants to yell at me, she can go ahead. I'll take that over bullets anyday of the week.

I guess what bugs me the most is that I don't think Charlie would agree with the way you portray Colby, David, and Don. "spitwads?" I just don't remember them. I think Charlie is patient with waiting for people to understand him and forms friendships over time. Look how he defended Colby that one time about the trees idea and now Colby defends him. That commaderie between them is not apparent in your story. I just think you would have done everybody more justice if you had done one of your nice stories making fun of the situation or a real-life confrontation between Charlie and the writers about how badly they wrote him. Because really, he acted unprofessionally and I think that was OOC.

But then you did the same and wrote all the others OOC. I don't know, I guess where I come from, if you get paid to do a job, you do it. Of course, I have read the other reviews and they agree with you. I just can't, because I think Charlie and the rest of the gang are better than that.
gothraven89 chapter 1 . 1/15/2007
Absolutely Brilliant.

You are a genius.

Thank you for sharing you talents with the rest of us.
Fernanda chapter 1 . 1/15/2007
Sorry, I don't think of Don as arrogant at all. Focused, certainly - workaholic, definitely. The issue here wasn't that he dismissed Charlie or Charlie's in-put, but that he didn't understand why Charlie, suddenly and with no explanation, appeared to have dropped the case. Yes, Don got angry - I think he also got scared. He lives with the constant memory of the PvNP issue and probably has a fear of losing his brother permantly to the numbers. He defended Charlie very sweetly to the NSA guys and immediately went out after him. Not the action of an arrogant, uncaring brother.