Reviews for A Story of One Flood
Cressida1 chapter 3 . 3/1/2007
I know you sweated over this last chapter, but it flows beautifully. Denethor's conversations with his two sons are different in just the right way, I think. I have to confess to squeeing every time I read the part where Denethor picks up little Faramir and takes him to bed! I also like the fact that Faramir didn't support Boromir's scheme blindly, even though he does think Boromir's wonderful. It's an example of how nicely balanced the story is. And I really think Denethor's "punishment" is a perfect example of poetic justice. I'm so glad you wrote this story!
Cressida1 chapter 2 . 2/28/2007
I just re-read this chapter, and I remembered again why I like this story so much! I think you did a fine job with both brothers and with the relationship between them. It's exciting too...and revealing Denethor's visit at the moment you do is almost wicked!
Rugi chapter 3 . 1/27/2007
I always love reading your more tender portrayal of Denethor I also like that you still show his tendency to try to hide his feelings (natural in a head of state) which probably would get him into trouble with his nearest and dearest. The scene where he grabbed Faramir and carried him to bed made me teary.
Rugi chapter 2 . 1/27/2007
I really think your characterization of Boromir is fantastic. He is a bit impulsive and unthinking but when bad things happen because of it, his first thought was for his brother (for others). And he continues to think first of Faramir through out the whole chapter even when they are being presented to their father. I think this is perfectly consistant with the Boromir who worried about the hobbits on Caradras (cold mountain- I cannot spell) and who saved Merry and Pippin from orcs even when he was more devestatingly shamed. He seems very able to put asside personal pain for others.

Your characterization of Faramir is always perfect, of course, in this chapter (and in the next) I like how you show his ability to read people and how that affects his personality and those who are close to him. When Boromir tries not to cry because he knows that Faramir would be aware of it, I realized how uncomfortable it sometimes would be to be close to someone who is THAT perceptive.
Rugi chapter 1 . 1/27/2007
I am so glad this up here! I think this is my favorite of your longer stories (although it's hard to pick - they are ALL very good).

Boromir and Faramir discussing the possibilities of spraying a dragon with a firehose is such great scene. Boromir injects a nice sence of practicality to the first idea. I felt sorry for Boromir - he's at a difficult age, not old enough to help out but old enough to feel like he should be. You really showed his personality - dutiful but a little inclined to go his own way, brave, sometimes heedless, and a little hungry for glory. I also like that his desire for recognition isn't mean-spirited - you don't sacrifice Boromir's good points, you combine them with his weaknesses.

I love that Faramir went along with Boromir to protect him. Faramir WOULD go along with his brother's less wise plans I think.
lindahoyland chapter 3 . 1/27/2007
What a lovely story. You depict the brothers so well.I'm so glad you are writing again.
Kalisona chapter 3 . 1/24/2007
Hm...Somehow, I missed two chapters. Wow, you're quick! . I think that I can forgive you for the terrible cliffy, then. Yay! That was great! I absolutely love the ending! Fantastic story!
Ithil-valon chapter 2 . 1/24/2007
Ah, poor Boromir. He is the type that will be punished far more by the thought of disappointing his father then by being lashed. Add to that the realization that he put Faramir in danger and he'll be heaping on the guilt this night. Poor fella. No wonder he's such a great character.
Ivanolix chapter 3 . 1/24/2007
Beautiful story! I absolutely adored this chapter...Denethor was perfect, and so was Faramir, and I loved how even the boys mistake turned out for the good. Denethor was really intelligent with the punishment as well.
BM originally chapter 2 . 1/23/2007
this is a wonderful story! Great writing! And I can just picture a young, impetuous Boromir doing just such a thing. I'm definitely curious about what happens, next, though, so please, continue!
Kalisona chapter 1 . 1/22/2007
Oh...So far so good! More soon, please? This is very well written; great job!

~Kali
Nobodyknowsmenow chapter 2 . 1/22/2007
I am loving this! It's very good!
Ivanolix chapter 2 . 1/22/2007
Oh dear, Denethor is there! I hope he is grateful they are alive, though he certainly has a right to be angry. Well done!
Ithil-valon chapter 1 . 1/21/2007
I have to admit you hooked me! I love the brothers Hurin and I love disaster-type stories! :) But you have to admit that was an evil cliffie!
Cressida1 chapter 1 . 1/21/2007
Yay, I'm so glad to see this here! This really is one of my favorites of your stories. I think you did a beautiful job with the boys at a young age. I LOVE their discussion about the dragon, and the part where they're bouncing like puppies, and Faramir deciding that Boromir needs someone to keep an eye on him. And what a place for a cliffhanger! Bad girl (in a good way)! (grin) I'm looking forward to the next part.