Reviews for The Nine Drabbles
Illwynd chapter 9 . 3/14/2007
How did I forget to review these, eek! I was going to mention which bits I liked best, but that would be nearly everything. ;) You've managed to take the perfect snippets to create a full and rich view of what was in between. And then there's the kitten! _ Wonderful!
Cressida1 chapter 9 . 3/6/2007
Hooray, what a wonderful, warm moment to leave the collection on. These pieces all work together beautifully as a group. I've always hoped Eowyn would get to visit Henneth Annun sometime and see the Window looking like jewels! It would be enough to make ANYONE want to be a Ranger. (grin)

I love, love, LOVE these drabbles and I'm so thrilled that you wrote them for me! It was wonderful to check my email every day and know that one would be waiting for me. Hugs!
Cressida1 chapter 8 . 3/6/2007
Yay, now the mood turns festive and playful, very appropriate for the Fourth Age! It's so great to see a bit of anti-fanon here, with the ladies of Gondor welcoming Eowyn. And Lady Niriel cracks me up. I can just see her expression at the end!
Cressida1 chapter 7 . 3/6/2007
And oh, poor Faramir now. The Stewards' story really is a family tragedy at its heart. To think of them being torn apart like this, and Faramir left to bear the pain of what happened...fortunately, he's strong and will be able to handle it. It's terribly sad, and yet (ponders) to me, it's so much more satisfying this way than if Faramir's glad Denethor is gone. It leaves me hoping that somehow, someday, beyond the circles of the world, things can be set right. But if Faramir's relieved or unforgiving, then what hope is there?
Cressida1 chapter 6 . 3/6/2007
Oh, poor Denethor. Poor, poor Denethor. In his own way, he did hold out a forlorn hope for a long time. If only he could have hung on a little longer.
Cressida1 chapter 5 . 3/6/2007
(squees softly and hugs this drabble)

I do love the picture of the night itself soothing Faramir so that he can rest!
Cressida1 chapter 4 . 3/6/2007
There's so much going on beneath the surface of this little moment! Denethor must be very observant to catch Faramir's minor injury. His concern shows that he cares without him actually saying it, and yet Faramir's smile shows that he understands. And of course, there's echo of another well-known moment with "I wish that indeed," but here it's used much more gently.
Cressida1 chapter 3 . 3/6/2007
This is a great antidote to overly-angsty fanon Faramir who can't enjoy life! I like the way his care for his Rangers comes through. And it's also a wonderful little vignette of Ranger life, somewhat humorous, but without taking away from their basic dignity.
Cressida1 chapter 2 . 3/1/2007
What a wonderful picture of one of the good moments between Faramir and Denethor. Love of their city must have been one thing they could agree on completely. I like the way I can really feel Denethor's pride in Faramir at the end even though you don't mention it specifically; you don't need to, because it comes through in the tone of the narration.
Cressida1 chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
Okay, this may be a little late, but I'm determined to send you a real review for all of these wonderful pieces! This is such a great start to the collection. Small Faramir with a fat, black kitten is definitely a picture to chase away unhappiness! And I can just seen Denethor's expression at the end, too. This really made me grin!
lindahoyland chapter 9 . 1/26/2007
THese are most enjoyable, I especially liked the kitten one. I've been writing drabbles myself and now enjoy both reading and have a gift for them.
Rugi chapter 5 . 1/26/2007
I like how you bring so many of the senses into this piece - smell, touch, hearing and let them be almost equal to sight.

And I really love this line: "It lightly touches the face of a warrior who was not born such"

This describes Faramir so perfectly.
Rugi chapter 4 . 1/26/2007
I love that you show how Denethor too is able to look past surfaces and into people's hearts. And I like this, "Denethor watches Faramir intently for a long while." It made me think that he was trying to see whether Faramir would mention is injury himself. And the last line! - It was a nice spin on another, more hurtful, canon statement Denethor makes later. I think it is a great way of showing that Denethor, despite hurtful things he might have said when he was grieving, really loves his child.
Rugi chapter 3 . 1/26/2007
Excellent job putting me, the reader, in the moment. The sensory expression of what Faramir's is feeling - the bark of the tree, the weariness combine well with what he is watching the other Ranger's do. It has a fun immediate quality. I can imagine myself there.
Rugi chapter 2 . 1/26/2007
Fantastic drabble. I always am impressed by how well you are able to get every character's personality across with a few choice words and images.

Boromir: Riding hard to be there for his brother's special day and being exhausted.

Faramir: Thinking so deeply and carefully about what his oaths TRUELY mean that he forgets to eat.

Denethor: A little formal with his son but nevertheless loving and proud (I like the simple gesture of touching Faramir's head - it combines affection with formality perfectly and I think it very Denethorish).