Reviews for Acts of Contrition
Freya922 chapter 1 . 7/26/2013
I loved the original episode but I think this works even better - the lead-up is sim
lanternheart chapter 1 . 12/28/2011
You're an epic author, ya know that?

Damn, just reminded myself of a drunk. Or a junkie. Ha, remembering that episode where Sam was high on meds, and Dean was looking like "What... The... Hell?" the whole time xD

Ah, I remember this episode xD The greasy pork sandwich line is classic xD

I, for some odd unknown reason, LOVE a drunk Sam 0.o And a depressed, cutting, feeling-like-a-worthless-burden-because-John constantly-compares-him-to-Dean, teen Sam xD I am just... wrong xD
Cainchan chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
ohh this story, I really like it. Ohh poor sam, he is so self distructing and he cares about people so much. I like your skinny!withdrawn!drunk!emo!sam gg* more of him please. This sam from the first two seasons, I miss him so much and found him in your stories and also protective!dean is there, what need I more? you make me really, really happy. please write a lot of other stories.

yours cain
Yum chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
This is a MUCH better reasoning to Sam's "gangbuster" idea in "Playthings". Nice and angsty without going over the top and they stayed in character. One of my favorites!
Windyfontaine chapter 1 . 2/2/2007
Wow, that was awesome. And I haven't even seen "Playthings" yet. Just saw your name and have to admit I lurked but read your stories and you really nail the boys. There is all that emotion, and all the stuff that goes on underneath the surface that the show itself doesn't always show that you bring to life so beautifully. And all the little sounds and everyday things like the shower curtain rod and stuff that you put in there just adds so much. Thanks for sharing this story and I'll try and review the next story I read by you :P Have a great day :)
Skye5 chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
Excellent job setting up the scene. It def. fits better here then in that episode (the title escapes me at the moment) I'll be looking forward to any new work you have up your sleeve :)
Phx chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
Wow. Excellent redo. I felt the same thing, it was a good scene but oddly placed. I would have also loved to have seen a few more minutes of drunk Sam and gruff Nurse Dean.

It was heartbreaking when Dean found Sam drunk and realized the girl had died on the table. And the visual of Sam holding her before they called 911 was heartbreaking.

All in all a very nice read and one I'll recommend, if you don't mind :)

Phoenix
Ghostwriter chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
Awesome. Catch ya on the flip side.
vickiR chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
Absolutely marvelous. You were dead on with the brothers. Not a single false note in there. Heart wrenching, but hopeful at the end... great balance. Thank you!
Rebel Goddess chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
I really liked this story. Despite only the most passing knowledge of her, I felt sorry for the poor girl. Excellent idea well executed. More please. Dean's ideas are rarely in tune with Sam's so I suspect he'll pretty much kill himself before he lets Sam go the dark way.
Ash8 chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
Beautiful. Fits perfectly and yeah it makes more sense like this. It was an important scene in the show and I liked it, but I wonder if they could have left it for a while - let us see Sam slowly crumble (as we did with Dean). Anyway, this was very nicely done and tenderly written. Thank you.
Carikube chapter 1 . 1/30/2007
Though I loved Playthings, and was able to see how Sam progressed to his alcoholic melt-down, this story is deliciously enjoyable as an alternative to how things might have gone down.

The girl's death, Sam holding her in his arms, and then later learning she died, would mess him up in a big way. I liked how you had that play out, and that Dean didn't realise the depth of Sam's suffering.

** Sam's not dealing. He's terrified.

I believe this. Sam has grown and matured, he's come a hell of a long way since we met him in the pilot, but beneath all of that, he's still scared. He's desperately afraid to become the very thing he fears more than anything: evil. Breaks my heart.

** He holds Dean's gaze, and his eyes... God, his eyes.

Oh Dean... I hear ya. I do. Breaks me too. *whimper*

I particularly like that Dean gets Sam aspirin. It's a nice tender touch, though the way it played out on screen brought a touch of humor which was so needed after such a heavy scene. Plus, if my brother were puking his guts out because of drinking too much, I'd be staying well away too. *lol*

Thanks for giving me an alternative way to how things might have played out. This just breaks my heart all over again, because Kripke surely did take it out, blend it up, mince and pulverise it that night.
carocali chapter 1 . 1/29/2007
Yes, this makes much more sense than the way it played out on the show. Although it was really fun to see a drunk Sammy. :D

The building up to that moment is much more realistic in your story, and I love how all the pieces were there, just waiting to be knocked over.

Beautifully written imagery and spot on dialogue. Well done!

:D

Caroline
barkeep chapter 1 . 1/29/2007
::sigh::

Loved this. Great spin on an AUish way to get to that scene.

Loved this - "Translation: How 'bout you leave me alone so I can be all emo and eat myself up with guilt?", in particular.

It made me hoot.

:-)
Starliteyes17 chapter 1 . 1/29/2007
Awesome retake on Sam's drunkeness in Playthings. I agree, there should have been a build-up to that scene, instead of the suddeness that emcompassed it. I like how you are careful to show Sam's worry about Kaley, with him calling the hospital repeatedly and checking his phone. I love how Dean is aware, but at first decides to ignore it, though he knows it's a problem. Or, at least, for Sam it's a problem.

And the limp!Sam? Priceless! ;D