Reviews for Dance Macabre
Not Horribly Depressing chapter 1 . 6/26
Well that was different.
miu.sakurai.73 chapter 1 . 4/18
fuee... tan macabro, pero hermoso!
fue tierno :3
me gusto!
WhiteElfElder chapter 1 . 2/13/2015
Very strange.
kase519 chapter 1 . 10/2/2014
Well done
Obsessive Consumptive Reader chapter 1 . 9/24/2013
Huh...profoundly thought-provoking. Great job. I enjoyed it.
rekahneko chapter 1 . 3/13/2013
As I read this, I did think about The Great Divorce though it has been so long since I read Lilith, I could only see the connection after you mentioned it. In any case, a wonderful take on those ideas for the Harry Potter universe. I have always wondered about the specifics of Dumbledore's next great adventure...
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 1 . 1/5/2012
I can't really call this a favorite, it's too weird, but it does seem to express something profound.

I would have liked to have seen an encounter with Dumbledore, and any after death experience for Harry should let him meet his parents (finally) and Sirius and Remus.

If I came across Snape (or Umbridge) out there I wouldn't go back and try to find them if they didn't want to join my group the first time. I definitely wouldn't leave Luna to do so.

I thought it quite telling that in the end, even Snape didn't know what side he was fighting on, and he ended up blaming everybody he could think of for his predicament.
dogbertcarroll chapter 1 . 5/23/2011
Nice story.
Irish Potato chapter 1 . 7/9/2008
Sucks for Voldy dunnit? He's gonna be stuck down there, get his skin and be like..."Shit..." I'm glad Luna and Harry got to meet up too. Wonder how long it takes for someone to get all their flesh back...?
FuzzyBoots chapter 1 . 1/14/2008
Honestly, not your best work. The beginning was particularly jarring, as it felt like you were going through a laundry list of characters and giving one sentence descriptions of their ends. It had neither the imagery of the epic nor the information of a news report, falling somewhere in between where we learned a little about a lot of people. It was a third-person scattered perspective where we have what seems to be an omniscient voice, but which is limited to a personal recollection of individual events. It felt, in some ways, like a first fic, where the writer has an end point they want to get to and are rushing through preliminaries to set it up. And the afterlife you set up does indeed deliver better.

Once Harry awoke, things got better. We're receiving a personal viewpoint, Harry's viewpoint, and the descriptions become more detailed even as they become limited to what he is perceiving at the time. At times, the dialogue between Harry and Tom, and the descriptions waxed on the preachy. I kept getting the feeling of the allegory wherein the message is overriding the story, but there was enough story to make it worth reading to the end.

Once I read your author's note, it made everything clear. Reading that it was inspired by a C.S. Lewis piece, in particular, explained some of the tone (although C.S. Lewis, by his own statement, didn't so much write allegory as he wrote religious alternate realities). I haven't read that particular piece, but this sounds like the kind of stuff that I remember from Narnia and is Space Trilogy. I personally feel that you did a good job trying to adapt your style, but it felt awkward much like a new pair of ill-fitting shoes. In time, you get your feet to fit if it's close enough, but you walk funny at first.

So, overall comment, it was an interesting piece with some nice bits of description, but I feel like the style is not a good fit for you. In time, I think you can manage, but I feel like this was more of a one-off experiment to stretch your writing muscles. I'd be willing to read other attempts if you make them, but I overall, I like your other works better.
jabarber69 chapter 1 . 7/23/2007
Hey that was extremely well written but also really wierd, what exactly was that place?
hemotem chapter 1 . 7/7/2007
I liked this verson of what happens after death. Thank you for a great read.

HowAreYou chapter 1 . 3/25/2007
wow. lovely story. beautiful and marvelous.
The-Caitiff chapter 1 . 2/21/2007
Wow, this is a marvellous story. I do wonder why Dumbledore didn't seek Harry out (he has made a lot of mistakes and there was some unresolved stuff at his death)...
Barranca chapter 1 . 2/5/2007
That's a healthy view on the dance macabre :)