Reviews for Curse
Cumberbatch-has-a-Sexy-voice chapter 21 . 3/8/2010
Thank you.:)
bookish327 chapter 21 . 9/7/2009
**Spoiler alert**

What a wonderful ending! I love sappy endings too; they make all of the turmoil worthwhile. The style and mood of this fic is so different from your others, and that is meant as a compliment. Not every author can write in more than one genre, and this one has a very different feel to it from the others, right from the beginning.

I really liked what you gave Rosalie to do in this story. She doesn't often (besides BD) get to play such a positive role in helping Bella, and I liked that she was able to do so here. I believe she also called Bella "my sister" fairly early on in this fic (at the confrontation with Victoria, if memory serves), and that also surprised me at the time. It reminds me a little of Rosalie in "Hear No Evil" because in neither story does she seem to go through her "resenting the dangerous little human who could expose us and is getting way too much attention" stage that she does in the series. Obviously, in HNE, Bella isn't human and is welcomed into the family almost the moment that the Cullens meet her, instead of being on the outside of the family, with Edward as the reason that they decide to get to know her, so that is different from TWILIGHT. However, in HNE, if you had still chosen to write Rosalie as mainly stubborn and self-centered, she could have acted resentful of Bella, being worried about Bella exposing them to the humans because of her not being used to the close company of humans and the extra attention that Bella being deaf would bring to their family, who already had more attention from the humans than was really safe. However, the Rosalie in HNE is like this one (in "Curse"): a positive force in Bella's life, there to help her and protect her from harm, just like the rest of the Cullens. I like that about her; it's such a nice change from rude, resentful Rosalie in canon. (I just wanted to make examples of how I personally like your kind version of Rosalie more than her more difficult persona in canon. However, you explain her difficult side well in "Sunrise" so I can accept her there, though I don't approve of her behavior towards Edward and Bella.)

I have to tell you, the first chapter was so mysterious (intentionally, I know, to make us curious) that I had the funniest theory (though it was a serious thought at the time) about what was going to be different about Bella in this fic. You made a number of mentions to the "red demon" (and what she'd done to Bella). Bella was also called an "inhuman creature." In addition, you referred to Edward having told her in the past to be careful because he was so much more powerful than her, but now SHE was the danger, the demon. Finally, you'd also mentioned Bella's tail and her ears (this being another abnormal for a vampire). Between the "red demon," "inhuman creature," Bella being the "danger" now, and the tail, etc., the only creature I could think of right then that she could be was (you're going to laugh) ... Hellboy (a female version, of course). I know, it was crazy, but I knew this fic was going to be much more in the supernatural realm than your others, and I guess the red demon, the tail, and all that made me think of the characer of Hellboy. I'm not even that big of a fan of Hellboy, either. My husband was a big comic-book collector when he was in his teens, and most of the comic-book movie adaptations are not really my cup of tea. However, HELLBOY has enough humor and romance in it that this is probably the one I most prefer in that whole genre. It's also not super-graphic or gross, which is much better for me. So, I just thought I'd share my original theory with you and give you a laugh. :-)

This was a very interesting and memorable fic. (I feel like I use the word "interesting" too often when I'm reviewing your stories, but they're so creative and unique that I fall into this pattern easily.) The premise is unusual and unexpected; I don't think that the summary adequately promotes the supernatural bent of this story. I just thought it would be a relationship-focused character study along the lines of: "Bella says goodbye to some of the humans in her life shortly before her change, and by the way, Victoria shows up somewhere along the line. She's unpleasant and mean but not really dangerous, overall, here." That was just my initial interpretation of the summary on your profile page; maybe other readers didn't take it that way. But, that is part of why I didn't really jump to read it until after I read the longer summary at the beginning of the first chapter, saw it listed as Adventure/Supernatural, and after I decided to trust that it would be worth my while, since I like your other fics so much. I DO enjoy character studies and writing exercises that delve into who these people are, but they're not always a huge attention-grabbing "I MUST read this fic NEXT" situation for me, like reading about "Hear No Evil" was for me, for example. THAT I had to read almost immediately when I read the summary. Would I be over-stepping to make this suggestion for the story summary?

"Bella goes to say goodbye to Emily and the pack at Emily's wedding reception in La Push. But someone with red hair is waiting, with a nasty surprise in her hand. Will Bella survive and make it back to the Cullens? If she does, will things ever be the same for them?"

The sense of urgency that is felt in those last two sentences seems a bit more like the mood of the early chapters when Bella is in so much danger, and the stakes are so high about what will happen next. I tried not to give away too much in the way of specifics, either.

Anyway, I just thought I'd make this suggestion so that more readers might also be drawn to a story as creative and original as this.

Thank you for another well-written story with good characterization.
babylopez2008 chapter 21 . 7/22/2009
that kind of sucks about the trust thing.

lol nosey Edward.
babylopez2008 chapter 20 . 7/22/2009
shoo I would be nervous too being surrounded and all.

so you never thought about doing an EPOV chapter?
babylopez2008 chapter 19 . 7/22/2009
omg that was horrible of the people in Egypt!

Go Rosalie... lol what she saw about the tail.
babylopez2008 chapter 18 . 7/22/2009
hmm very odd, the lady with the brown hair.

ooh I wonder what tackled Bella.
babylopez2008 chapter 17 . 7/22/2009
so Edward was still hurting? Or was Bella being paranoid?
babylopez2008 chapter 15 . 7/22/2009
oh my god!
babylopez2008 chapter 13 . 7/22/2009
omg they are going to be so pissed and worried!

wow with the information.
babylopez2008 chapter 12 . 7/22/2009
aww that must've sucked being stuck in the house the whole time when she wanted to be out.

babylopez2008 chapter 11 . 7/22/2009
lol the Volvo got a "make-over"... lol soo funny!
babylopez2008 chapter 10 . 7/22/2009
lol I love nickelback and sarcasm.
babylopez2008 chapter 9 . 7/22/2009
aww that was a mean a/n for Bella.

lol cat nap.
babylopez2008 chapter 8 . 7/22/2009
yay they got the necklace off.. but now what happens to Bella.
174 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »