Reviews for Fresh C's Guide to HalfWay Decent Fan Fiction
TakeshiKovacs987 chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Decent points, but I gotta disagree that it was entirely on the human condition. Anno purposely made the series open to interpretation, so trying to claim it within those strict guidelines is just insulting to his intentions. To me, Evangelion was about Shinji's growth as a human being, but Anno used his growth as a way to reflect the human condition. Also, you'll note that in the latest movies, it's significantly more positive in tone. When he wrote NGE in the mid nineties, he just came out of depression, so his ideas were pretty negative and he relied on Freudian psychology. Nowadays Freud is pretty much discredited. Hell, the man's main research subjects were usually depressed, lonely, middle aged housewives. Hardly a diverse sample group.
I Burn Water chapter 1 . 1/19/2009
ha. you're right i do smile when I say butterfluff... wait wrong fic. okay nevermind, but uh, as I was saying ofcourse you should yes and thankyou wishywashy bleep. (Sorry for the babbling but there is hidden truth inside those words...maybe.)
ArmorBlade chapter 2 . 8/28/2008
"You've just murdered fanfiction - That's a BAD THING! - You Cannont Do That"

I very much enjoyed seeing your 'self' portrayed in this guide. As you mentioned, it is the writer we are getting to know also through the theme and style, and you just proved it as this had nothing to do with satisfying our Eva lusts, but simply enjoying your written words.

You had me chuckling many a time and agree on many of your points, I'm a guy who's all about concepts and wanting to see them done well in a realistic manner.

Have you by chance read any of Dave Berry's work also?
Itansha chapter 1 . 3/28/2008
I think this is quite informative, but I will have to say that you ARE on a thin line with this one... maybe better in one of the forum.

That being said, I think section I have a huge problem, particularly in that the parallel-canon (Angelic Days/ep26, SIRP, and Nerv Academy) has basically just pissed on it, burned it, and then sent it to outerspace.

Furthermore, for Shinji, and to a certain extend, Asuka (debatable's), their characterization pre-impact is somewhat different from the one post impact, so even if sticking to straight Canon, there are two versions: pre and post impact. This, however, makes continuation very difficult to be base on your guideline as outline in section I.

Also, I think Fanfics is always going to be a "what if" for AU— otherwise, why bother, if there is not going to be changes?

Anyway, that's my two cents; hope I do not offend you too much.
dragonblack chapter 2 . 3/4/2008
Thats why good vocabulary is important! Whenever anyone uses one word consecutively in two sentences (and I'm talking about a word with synonyms, not "what"), it pisses me off! English is fucking huge! There are THOUSANDS of word choices, and you can always toss in some Spanish/French/Japanese/ FUCKING ESPERANTO! There is no excuse!...Ok, rant done. good guide. Specially the part about sentence structure, not enough people who understand it's importance.
Xlater chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
10/10
DancingBrain chapter 2 . 3/23/2007
I have to say I disagree with some of what you are saying, but that's probably because I'm a guy whose longest running work so far is an action/romance/crossover/COMEDY whose biggest draw is how screwed up the way the universe I created works...that, and some...well, quite a few, pop culture references.

Maybe you can try to write a guide about writing humor stories, since those seem to be the only ones I'm really interested in, usually. I can definitely try to provide more insights there...or utterly ruin your good intentions by creating a chain of events that will cause this site to get cluttered with all sorts of badly written parodies of a good story.
The Dutchess Haren chapter 1 . 2/11/2007
Sorry for posting two reviews within ten minutes of each other (and back-assward no less), but I just got done reading the reviews you got for this, and needless to say, I'm disgusted by some of the people on this website. To think that someone would intentionally go out of their way to disrespect someone that was only trying to help- in a useful, albeit silly, manner-, in such a tasteless and immature way really grinds my gears.

Now, maybe I'm out of line by saying this, but it is truly a sad day when some one is flamed so visciously just for trying to help people. And reporting them when their story isn't one? Even though there really is nothing to worry about, because let's face it, has the attention span of a small gerbil when it comes to paying attention to stories, like the whole "not too graphic" in scenes of romantic persuasion*. You and your stories, along with many others, are here to stay.

And I also apologize for leaving a long review (though how will I know until 24 hours from now), but I had some things to say, and dammit I was gonna say them! The spell check thing wasn't as bad as the others, but it still wasn't nice.

Of course, I have the energy to say all of this because I've only recieved one flamer in my whole career on this site, and it wasn't all that bad (maybe I'm good, who knows :3). It was just an "I know this is different and that is why I don't like it" kind of thing (quoted from an annonymous review of my Metroid fic).

Anyway, good job on the guide, and if you have any patience left with me, then check out some of my stories.

* I do not, in any way, shape, or form, mean to insult the good people at or their subsideries at and FictionPress. You people are awesome, and I apologize for pointing out the ignorance of your faculty. Wait, that's not what I meant. I meant to say that I'm sorry that I revealed to everyone that you couldn't pay attention if your servers depended on it. No, that's not it either! Gah, don't terminate me, I love you!
The Dutchess Haren chapter 2 . 2/11/2007
Dude... Fucking hilarious. Not much really else to say. You hit some good points, and cause (more than) a few laughs in-between. Oh, and thanks to your unintentional plug for I now have a place for my originals. Don't have any on yet, but look me up sometime.

Penname: Axel de Sade
Story Weaver1 chapter 2 . 2/9/2007
Thanks for writing this. I'm always looking for ways to improve.

P.S. You said there wasn't going to be funny in this chapter and there was. Couldn't help it eh?
Doc. Dump chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
You sound a little egotistical here buddy!

Spare me the condescending comments...you idiotic ass... JUST KIDDEN!

Should have seen the look on your face though.

Pretty damn good Fresh C! Keep up the good work. Carry on and Teach these fanfic writers what Evangelion truely is.

-forever your humble servant, Biron Cascadan
the.Merines chapter 2 . 2/7/2007
So... are you trying to help new writers or simply berate them? It seems like a bit of both to me, which is fine and dandy. Decent writers like you (and maybe I) tend to be highly opinionated and judgmental when it comes to reading the work of our peers.

But... technically, this isn't a story and will probably be removed. In any case it's good that you're trying to help, but people will never learn unless they do it themselves. People need to write for themselves, which also means that they need to stop publishing stuff that is bound to get flamed.
unknown user chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Quite humourous... I disagree with certain minor points, but obviously a bit of hyperbole was used.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of my fic Neon Cognogenesis Omega, as you said you have never read a good AU fic that is radically different. Not that Omega is radically different, necessarily - it just replaces the Angels with memetic virii and the Kaballah references with Sumer references, then proceeds from those new assumptions towards a radically different chain of events. The first two or three chapters may seem kind of cliche, however they are essentially equivalent to the first episode of any series, which is generally the series at its worst for the purely practical reason that it must introduce itself in simplified form and gradually phase in the details in order to avoid what I call the "End of Evangelion effect" ;-)

By the way, weather cannot speak; ergo, it cannot be eloquent. e good, loq speak, ent having the nature of. Sorry, I'm a bit of a linguistics nerd
Guest chapter 1 . 2/6/2007
Well it's good to see that the spirit of the flamers are alive and well. Complete with insulting comments, lack of log-in, and non-descriptive name, you sure do fit the mold quite well.

But I try not to make assumptions, since you never know when your assumptions will be wrong. I'll give you the benefit of doubt and say that you didn't login because you don't have an account. So I won't insult you by calling you a coward. It's unfair.

However, I will call you rude. Because the assumptions you're making about me are just impolite. To say that my writing is sub-par... well that's an opinion and if I make the assumption that you actually read some of my stories (my real stories, mind you) then I find no fault in this particular statement. Likewise I cannot criticize you for commenting on the ineffectual nature of my guide. But to say that I'm only trying to stroke my own ego in the posting of this story... well I'd say that's a bit unfair.

I won't pretend to have some high and noble cause in the posting of this guide. Yeah I do like the attention I get from writing. In fact, I like it a lot. But I don't expect people to bow down and worship my abilities or anything. I just like people to laugh and enjoy my stories and possibly learn something in the process. If you don't enjoy something, then that's on you. You don't have to read it and you can even post a negative review if you'd like. I've got nothing against criticism. But when you personally insult someone and question their motives, that's where I draw the line.

I guess that's all I have to say. There's really nothing I can do about your comment, besides deleting it, but I won't do that because I have a certain respect for the opinions of others (even if I disagree). I just hope that in the future you'll be more polite in your use of criticism and try and say things nicely. That after all, is only common courtesy.

And the same goes for you too, d-scribe and Project Overlord.

Shame on all of you... shame shame shame!
Myself chapter 2 . 2/6/2007
Why the hell should we care about how you right? You're not really that good and this just screams out 'fawn on me and give me worship as i am your writing godz' and lets be frank...you're sub-par. You're ideas sound as if they're streaming out of a 2nd year english class and if somebody sucks at writing they do either one of two things, keep trying and improve on their own style or the stop. They don't need some sod who needs an ego boost telling them what to do.

end communication.