Reviews for The Power of Prophecy: Simulacrum
dmichelle312 chapter 8 . 2/9
Jarlaxle and Nyx are dalninuk and dalninil now? Humph. I envy her, I'd give up a lot of things to be in her place.

Well that was another great chapter. In a few days, I will read the last tome...
dmichelle312 chapter 7 . 2/9
Looks like Jarlaxle is recovering nicely. Though with the vortex now opened things are apparently going to get worse. At least he's free and he's with his friends.

I knew Darvon was a selfish jerk who didn't care about Miri's desire for freedom and adventure (and he should know that marrying and/or having kids is a choice, not an obligation and that there's nothing wrong with not wanting either of those for oneself because for some people friendships are sufficient and they want to enjoy a few years of freedom, adventure, independence and self-discovery before they even contemplate making that choice), that he saw her as a piece of property to be owned or stolen from him (as if she couldn't make her own choices or decisions, which her family and friends should not be allowed to make for her) and that he was one of those self-absorbed controlling type people (and there are not just men, but also women who are like that). But physically assaulting her and cutting her as he threw a fit? That was beyond stupid, he's really done it this time, all hell is breaking loose and he's the one who did this. As Iceheart Firesoul said, Darvin's stupidity exceeded even my expectations and he was too stupid to think of healing her to close close the vortex. Well, I'm on my way to read the epilogue, I can only hope that this Darvin fool will do something right for a change and maybe stop the devastation he's unleashed...
dmichelle312 chapter 6 . 2/9
I'm feeling rather irritated and dejected at the moment. Jarlaxle is trapped there with no escape and facing the threat of madness or starvation, and it's Artemis' fault. Artemis needs to stop behaving like a braindead twist who put his friends in deadly danger because he doesn't want to face his issues and emotions (fortunately, Nyx is putting some sense into him and make him take a crtical look at himself). He needs to come to his sense and find Jarlaxle before... Before what? I can't see how things could get any worse for Jarlaxle right now. And even if Artemis and Nyx find him, how are they gonna get him out of there if magic doesn't work and they don't have a pick axe? :(

He could cry out to Good Eilistraee for help in his time of need, but what about the magical silence in the pit? What? Eilistraee defends gender equality (and she does accept males according to Ed Greenwood, not to mention that among her followers are drow, humans, gnomes, elves, shapeshifters (children of the moon), half-orcs and half-elves, all kinds of shades of grey, so she's far from being a bigot, a favoristist or a perfectionist), wants to return the drow to the world above (she sacrificed herself to make that possible), wants the evil Spider Queen dead, is kind and gracious to those who rejected Lolth and her laws, and wants a willful alliance not forced subservience. Jarlaxle showed compassion many times, even to strangers, and has aided/rescued travelers quite a few times (he also doesn't use violence or kill unless it's absolutely necessary, and appreciate beauty). Whether some people want to admit it or not, he's definitely moving in that direction, actions speak louder than words and his actions show his true colors.

I was hoping (and still hope) that Jarlaxle or Drizzt would turn to her (Salvatore didn't really give a chance to that possibility, but I'm open to fanfics that explore that alternate path for either of them, a path either could have taken, I've even begun searching for such fics). They should know that she is nothing like Lolth, and I don't get Drizzt's irrational loyalty for a woodland goddess (trees and flowers are pretty much useless when it comes to fighting vicious baddies and rescuing travelers and caravans, also Mielliki doesn't seem to care about the well-being and fate of anyone of the drow race outside of Drizzt so she doesn't strike me as inclusive, and why would she pick a useless portfolio like forests (can't she see the bigger picture) instead of the elimination of demons, interracial peace, or humanitarian aid, something that would create a better future for the all the people of Faerun). Also, Jarlaxle and Drizzt have a right to know all the pieces of their drow heritage (even if they live on the surface), not just the dark ones, and a right to embrace the non-dark parts of their heritage like people of other cultures did. It's a part of them that they should know and feel free to embrace, sadly they have been kept in the dark about that. I'm open to lots of fics exploring a variety of different paths and possibilities (including different spiritual or religious paths) for the various characters, as I realize I that it makes my reading more exciting and fluid.

Anyway, that was a good chapter you wrote there, once again. I'm definitely hooked, and I so want to know what's gonna happen next, so your loyal reader, yours truly, is on her way to reading the next chapter. Keep up the good work, Ariel. :)
dmichelle312 chapter 4 . 2/8
A very interesting chapter to say the least. Nyx makes Artemis realize that instead of blaming Jarlaxle for everything and walking away from his problems, he should take a critical look at himself in the mirror and have a think about how hypocritical it is of him to condemn others for behaviors he commit himself and struggles he himself is going through. At least, he seems inclined to admit that she is right on this one. But I just can't believe that Artemis left Jarlaxle behind, all alone, in such a horrid, dangerous place. Instead of walking away (which really doesn't solve anything), he should've had a civilized discussion and talked things through. Jarlaxle has shown he is not beyond reasoning with. Artemis needs to get that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expect different results, and walking away from a friend who experiences the same problems and struggles as you when things get complicated is just wrong and absurd (It's not a helpful and mature response). As a survivor of abuse and brainwashing and another messed up individual dealing with those kinds of issues (like Jarlaxle, as well as hundreds of other people from our world), Artemis should get that. And just because he disagree with his friend or disapprove of his friend's decision doesn't mean he should leave his friend behind, all alone, in such a horrid, dangerous place as if Jarlaxle's safety and emotional struggle just didn't matter to him. If he really Jarlaxle's friend, then he should start acting like one. Not a fair weather friend who only stick around when things are simple or going well, but a true friend who stick around even when things are messy and complicated, and what Jarlaxle needs is a friend who strengthen him and support him as he go through the hard times, a friend who is there for him no matter what even if said friend doesn't agree with his every choice or view. I know that Artemis has been through a lot and has suffered a lot, but HE'S NOT THE ONLY ONE. So did Jarlaxle, and a lot of other people. And Artemis can consider himself lucky that he wasn't forced to relieve the horrors of his past in a room of mirrored souls, which is something that probably wouldn't have happened to Jarlaxle (reliving this stuff in that toom) had Artemis stayed with him.

"She wanted to help and save others, even complete strangers, and yet she was unafraid of the darkness in others. She faced whatever she met head on."

The world needs MORE people like that. And a TRUE friend would do no less. And as a person who needed two decades to get that and get there, I say that anyone who label that "an irrational and insane behavior" still has a lot to learn about life, relationships, love, and spiritual growth.

Indeed, a very interesting chapter to say the least...
yune chapter 7 . 7/16/2009
lol for the Code of True Manhood
Kitsu Kurasei chapter 8 . 6/30/2008
It's been months. Come on! XD Trilogy~! :D Love all the stories, btw, but what happened to Cat?
SchattenTanzer chapter 8 . 11/5/2007
Awesome stuff
Iceheart Firesoul chapter 8 . 11/2/2007
Ah! Cliffhangers, how I hate thee... That was an evil place to end a story. *sulk*

On the other hand, Darvin has hit an all-time low with everyone. Not only did he wound Miri, he was too stupid to think of healing her. Maybe he'll redeem himself by dying a spectacular, gory death. :)

I love Entreri's continuing epiphanies in these past few chapters, and Nyx's Older Sister mode was cute. As for Tai, maybe Jarlaxle's next pet project would be trying to break him of his fear of heights- by levitating with him over the edge of a precipice. ;D

The brothers Melcer are an interesting pair themselves. Miri, dying or living, looks like she's going to be a pretty large factor in Tai's future.

...Speaking of the future... *sends your muses lots of cookies* Hope to see more soon! _
darkhelmetj chapter 8 . 10/30/2007
What a wonderful ending to the story! :) You've nicely tied up all the loose ends, especially in regards to the prophecy. I think, as someone noted either here or at that Darvin's use of Tai's dagger is particularly ironic and a great symbolic act. I also really like how you brought everyone back together at the end - Tai's flying in "on wing" was a greatly amusing scene. I can't wait to see where you take the characters from here in the next story! :)
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 8 . 10/29/2007
Very good look in at the three groups of characters, excellent to have Tai back with the gang, and it even ends with the punch of seeing things from a directly opposing point of view. In victory, there is defeat, and in defeat, there is victory. There is no side to lose but one we don't want, and yet we know one has to to let the other live.
TobyKikami chapter 8 . 10/29/2007
Now those are some interesting details in the last scene, capping off an excellent last chapter. I look forward to the sequel, whenever that may be.
Lessiehanamoray chapter 8 . 10/29/2007
Nice epilogue. I actually kind of pity Darvin, everything seems against him. It's kind of strange actually, for once things are going relatively well for Entreri and someone else is having the problems.
oddstick chapter 8 . 10/28/2007
Poor Tai I like that Entreri's finally beginning to realize his humanity and the humanity of his comrades. Character development is definitely your forte! As you know, I'm still holding out hope for a romantic Entreri/Jarlaxle relationship, but that all depends on where this story goes!

I wait patiently for the next installment!
Iceheart Firesoul chapter 7 . 10/21/2007
Wow... that was some epiphany on Jarlaxle's part. And the violation of the Code of True Manhood was cute... and I loved that phrasing, lol. I'm still somewhat in shock- normally bad things happen and someone *needs* a hug- Jarlaxle actually *got* a hug. From Artemis. Who hugs no one. *stagger* Yes, definitely. Shock.

*sigh* At first, I was looking forward to Darvin getting his hat handed to him before his god and everybody... but his stupidity exceeded even my expectations. "I love you..." *slice* It would figure that where Darvin decided to propose, Miri's blood would cause hell to break loose. This chapter was momentous for everyone; I can only imagine the next one. Awesome, as usual. You wouldn't mind if I snuck in and murdered Darvin now, would you? 0:)
SchattenTanzer chapter 7 . 10/21/2007