Reviews for Self Preservation
killthepain62 chapter 2 . 3/20/2013
This was a wonderful story. Sad ending, but so good. It seems realistic and that's why I love it so much. You managed to make a great OC and managed to keep everyone in their character. It was excellent!
imthegreenfairy88 chapter 2 . 8/17/2008
that was a really good story. I like how you took another love/angst route and didn't actually have Jamie see past his 'differences'. It made it more real. really good, and beautifully written
qt3.14159 chapter 2 . 4/11/2008
Wow. Such a great piece. As always your characters are so incredibly real and well depicted. And the interaction between them is so real, too. I especially liked this "nor did he hear her whispered words, tinged with regret and ice and swallowed by the frigid air." It's just a beautiful phrase that carries so much sorrow and finality.

In short, I loved it.
Winnychan chapter 2 . 2/5/2008
This is really phenomenal. I can't even tell you how much this story impresses me. Our fandom is so rife with really poorly written stories featuring two-dimensional original female characters, and this one just rises above all those crappy attempts and knocked my socks off. Your gritty, realistic portrayal of this older, more mature sounding Raphael stayed very true to the character and I never once had cause to doubt his dialog or reactions. So well done! I'm going to recommend it to everyone I know. *grin*

XOXO

Winnychan
Reinbeauchaser chapter 2 . 10/5/2007
Perfect. Yes, as unrequited as this ending is, it was perfect.

As was these two chapters.

Enough said.

Be blessed,

Rene'
Reinbeauchaser chapter 1 . 10/5/2007
I've seen your name pop up from time to time, usually associated with Dierdre, a FanFic friend of mine. However, despite that, I never took a moment to read any of your fics.

Until today.

This is probably the most powerful read I've embraced in a good long time. It's just brilliant on so many levels. All your other reviewers said what I could say, here, so I won't, since it would be far too redundant.

Nevertheless, your story brought me to tears, not because of the circumstances between Raphael and Jaime, but because of the greatness of this piece. Crisp and fresh as well as spot-on perfect with Raph's character, you created a believable OC that has far more depth than any I've ever encountered. The angst is so authentic, too.

Wonderful work. Now, I'm on to chapter two.

Oh, and I'm a resident of Los Angeles as well. :0)

Be blessed,

Rene'
Clarice M. Lecter chapter 1 . 6/6/2007
hey, I just read the first chapter... love your Story D
batgirl73 chapter 2 . 4/27/2007
Hi, I just read this for the second time, I love it so much.

I really wish you would write more Ninja Turtles fanfiction. You write Raphael so well, he's got such complicated feelings to deal with and you bring them all into the story. So here's my official plea for more :)
Blue Badger chapter 1 . 3/25/2007
That was absolutely amazing. I just finished reading it all and I'm blown away. This is possibly the best fanfiction I've read in a very, very long time. You obviously spent a great deal of time on this. You kept Raphael in character and your OC had a lot depth to her. I just, arg, I can't even explain how amazing this story is. Fantastic.
Cable Fraga chapter 2 . 3/7/2007
I can't believe I waited this long to read this. I absolutely love it! I was a huge turtles fan years ago - a big leo lover... I love your description of him and Raph's relationship. I really love how you carried the emotion from the comics. Just nailed the psychology. I loved your OC, too.

You have such amazing depth in your writing. Thank you for sharing your talent.
Renet chapter 2 . 2/18/2007
Really nice piece. Good OC, and the tension is just right.
Jessiy Landroz chapter 2 . 2/17/2007
In the development of this story, I really like the character interaction, especially between Raph's rational mind and his conflect with his emotions, and the stubborness and the need to have a reason to be with Jaime to protect her.

They're both stubborn, she's a bit tense and he's edgy, and together that makes sparks fly almost in a warning manner, but that only adds to the conflict of their caracter and not just their feelings.

I really liked this, especially Raph's silent reasoning why it was about time they took their seperate ways.
GreenWillow chapter 2 . 2/15/2007
Wow. Just...wow. This is such a beautifully painful story. You've touched upon some themes near and dear to my heart: Raphael's love for his family, especially for Leonardo despite their conflicted relationship, and his acutely painful awareness of his non-human differentness. You've developed these with attention to detail and nuance in the characters' dialogue without over-stating any of it.

And even better, this story ends with brutal logic. This is the way things would be far more likely to unfold than where it seems the majority of our TMNT romance tales go.

Thank you, Trillian. This one will stay with me for a long time.

~GW
Dierdre chapter 2 . 2/13/2007
*Smacks life with a rolled-up newspaper, beating it about the head and shoulders with dramatic cries of "Back, foul beast! Back, I say!" Life eventually retreats into the night, sporting a limp and muttering dire threats of revenge. Dierdre, triumphant, adjusts her baseball cap and dusts off before fixing Pi with a sheepish grin* Sorry it took me so long to review this most excellent chapter, chica. *Sniffles, bowing head* A bad fic reader, am I.

So, what can I say about this literary gem? Mostly I just want to squeal fangirl-ishly, pester you endlessly for more ficcage and say 'Wow!' a lot. However, I'll see if I can gather myself long enough to say something semi-coherent.

One of the marks of a talented writer is his or her ability to delve into the mind of a character, rummage around a bit, and then emerge with a special insight. That, my dear Trill, is precisely what you did with Raphael. The fact that Raph has some anger issues is not exactly a new thing, but your explanation behind his all-consuming rage during battle sheds a whole new light on him. It adds more depth to his character and gives reason to an emotion that sometimes seems senseless in its intensity. Er… if that makes any sense at all.

I loved that Raph had to search through her things to find the necessary supplies. Not everyone has a hand-dandy First Aid kit just lying around, after all.

The short descriptions that Raph used for his brothers were endearing as all hell. I especially like where he describes Leonardo, and his personal belief that the leader will be left standing when all the others have fallen. I’m sure that is the worse possible future that Leo could imagine, but it says a lot about Raph and the way he views their complex and sometimes thorny relationship.

*Winces* I read the final exchange between Raph and Jaime the other day, but looking it over again has done little to lessen the intensity of it. There is a lot of confused, pent-up emotion there, and it really comes through in the dialogue.

And, oh, poor Raph. I really felt for him when he watched the play of emotion in Jaime’s eyes as she studied him in turn, a flurry of feeling that ultimately solidified into rejection.

Those last two paragraphs held a poignancy as thick as a London mist; the twist and twine of your words speaking of lost chances and stillborn possibilities. Incredible stuff, chica.

*Sits back and sighs happily* You know, there are precious few things better in life than a good story. The written word is my bread and butter, and your artistic mind ensured that I dined very well indeed. I’m so pleased that I won’t even pester you about writing more marvelous TMNT fics for my future consumption.

...Yep, you got twenty-four hours of freedom, and then I start poking you repeatedly with a stick. _

lol And on that note, I’m outtie. Brava, chica, on a job exquisitely well done!
C.Bell chapter 2 . 2/11/2007
Tragic indeed, but a brutally realistic story none the less. I like the emotional impact of the story. There was angst, but you never went overboard. Wonderful characterization of Raphael, and Jaime felt very real.

Loved reading this, thanks for sharing it. :)