Reviews for Something Lost
Carikube chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
** The sound haunts you, echoes within your skull, stains your heart black.

I can’t idolise this enough – how psychologically sound this is. Even moreso as the reality of what it means hammers through. And, opening in second person POV, which ordinarily would be frowned upon, works so well here because it’s so personal. It demands the reader empathize, yet it’s so brief as to not become annoying or awkward. Yet again, I bow to thee!

** Shadows danced against the stone as Dean blocked and parried, catching the strong scent of whiskey as he shoulder-rammed his opponent into the wall.

Your use of vibrant, clear language in action scenes is without compare. Sometimes I struggle to keep things clear in my head while reading action scenes in stories, I find myself re-reading because I can’t see where the characters were, how they moved, where the next attack came from. But you stand apart in having the skill to bring action to life with such apparent ease. I worship your poetically powerful grace and economical style, my friend. I wanna grow up to be just like you. *wink*

** He kneeled and reached out, pushing on the guy’s shoulder. The man that uncurled, however, drove the breath from Dean’s lungs. “Sam?”

Drove the breath from my lungs too, my friend.

** Dean gathered up his brother, propping him against the wall and collecting his arms.

Awesome! You know why. *wink*

** Ten minutes later, the Impala’s shadow stretched out long and lean against the concrete barrier at the head of the parking space.

This amazes me every time I read it. Again, your ability to use exactly the right words to paint a picture that is so clear and sharp is without compare. I’m so jealous!

** Dean paused, letting his hand fall. He looked at Sam, looked into those stormy, hollow eyes and felt his soul pulling apart.

Guh! Starts whimpering… the conclusions forming are too hideous to contemplate. *sobs*

** The Impala’s passenger seat, forever empty.

This line shatters whatever minimal resolve I had left. *heavy sigh*

** A lifetime of fighting and sacrifice, nearly lost. “You son of a bitch.”

As much as I ache for Sam – as much as I am a Sammy-girl, right here I side with Dean. Dean’s right to be angry, to be livid at Sam. I am, even as the pain of what Sam’s going through eats away at me. But to just give up, to throw all Dean's effort in his face - that is selfish and Dean is right to call him on it. Niceness and tender words are not going to shake Sam out of this funk, only the raw honest truth. And, suicidal behaviour is dangerous ground... Dean can't let this go. He just can't.

** Sam glared. “I saved that girl in the alley.”

Good boy, Sam. There’s still a spark of life in you yet.

Then Sam’s admission – his honesty – reaches Dean and Dean gives Sam what he needs the most – the reminder that he’s not alone. And, more than anything, reminds Sam that Dean isn’t just doing this for selfless reasons… Dean needs Sam. If for no other reason, Sam should fight to win because he is all Dean has left.

Just as HoTH gives me hope, so too does this story. And hugs to Amy for being the motivation for you to write this!
IMTheresa chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Sam's fear is so real here, as is Dean's fear and anger. It's heartbreaking to see them go through this on the show, and your story captures it extremely well.

"I’m right here, man. Right where I’ve always been"... *sniff*

Great job!
Lisette chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
FINALLY - a story that addresses this subject without making Sam seem like an ass, and that still manages to give us hope for the future. This season is just so damn dark, and poor Sam keeps bouncing from the strong, heroic brother (Dean of last season) to an idiot. I'm a Sam-girl, through and through, but even I winced when he asked Dean the same thing that he condemned John for a few episodes back. Finally, in your story, we Sam realize this aloud, apologize for it, and then we see Dean giving us hope by telling Sam what we all have known since the start - they're brothers, and that makes them a better team, gives them better chances, than anything else. They never had anyone else in first season and there was so much strength and hope there - it's about time they realize that that was ALL they ever needed.

GREAT job - and thank you for giving me exactly what I needed before sucking it up to watch whatever horrors they're going to be inflicting upon poor Sammy tomorrow night! ;p
KatieLB chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
your a very good friend to write this for a buddy! Really well done... that line men can't be angels gives me goosebumps...great job...till next time
devonshire64 chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
poor sam and dean, they really do live such hard lives. and i loved the last two lines, really summed up their lives well.
Ridley C. James chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Absolutely wonderful, as usual. Another excellent one shot, which demonstrates why you are the master of these, my friend. I feel so bad for Sam and Dean in this story. It makes me wonder just where the show will go with this. I've driven myself crazy pondering how in the world they are going to fix it. But at least I have stories like this one to flesh out all those emotions that we don't see on screen. I love it. And it makes the wait for Thursday much more tolerable. Thank you for being such a wonderful friend to your under the weather pal, and sharing her gift with us.

Ridley
MollybyGolly chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
oh...that's so sad...good story. :(
sablecain chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Oh the lovely. Can I hug their heads now? I liked this. I'm not keen on Sam the suicidal fics but I really liked how you did this. I can see this happening.
pwrhungryjr chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Nice story! I liked it a lot! Great job!
SueJRA chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Its stories like this that make me love Supernatural even more

The reason I think its the most superlative programme on telly at the moment is because of the vulnerability and protection that radiates from both Winchester boys and really good writers like yourself enhance it by exploring their psyche even more

Another excellent piece

PS: Apologies if you see a similar review posted as I got an error mesage and not sure if it submitted or not
Harrigan chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Your stories are always such a welcome Alert!
Ash8 chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Wow - I can't really - um - is wow enough? Bit incoherent after that. You hit that dead centre. Um - wow. Thanks.
daisymaygirl1 chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
Oh...*wibbles*

This was wonderful. Sammy broke my heart in HOTH and it all went breaky break again whilst reading this. The boy is just so damn terrified. And the 'you need a big brother' just melted me completely.
bally2cute chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
My mind ran through a lot of emotions with this one. I can kind of, barely, almost see why papa Winchester chose Dean's life over his own...for Sam. There is some heavy stuff going on, and I'm just glad that it's Dean with Sam. I liked everything about this, it brought up some things, it got me in the chest, I loved it. Great, great story!
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 2/6/2007
So cool. I was just thinking about authors that I like and trust when it comes to reading their stories. You have so many stories that I love to read such as "Stuck on You," and "Pack of Two." (Look I can even remember titles)

I was hoping you would post a new one.

So nice surprise when I saw your name under the alerts.

I like how Dean came upon the fight and helped save Sam. Almost like fate...or someone helping Dean to take care of his brother.

I could just picture Dean's expression when he realized what Sam had done or not done, when he didn't want to fight back. The images that ran through Dean's mind, 'Sam's body, cold and lifeless and bloody, outlined against the dirty concrete in white chalk. The Impala's passenger seat, forever empty.' Wow!

You did a great job writing Dean as he tried to get through to Sam and the lines,'I'm right here, man. Right where I've always been,' perfect.

Dean can be scared of the future and maybe bits will occasionally show through, but than he will hide those fears and be the big brother who will stand beside and protect Sam. Because his brother will live, Dean see's no other option.

Thanks again for sharing your story with us.

Take care.