Reviews for Cavalry Days
beahawk chapter 2 . 6/24/2008
I always felt that Sherman was a man who understood horses really well and would not be too fond of using the whip. I agree - that is a lazy person's way of controlling a horse. I hate that.

Another very good chapter.

My mom had a dog called Goldie:)
beahawk chapter 1 . 6/24/2008
As a first time writer I have been browsing through the site and I found this story.

It is is very unusual. Nice to see a story about the Colonel.
Hawk-Hotlips chapter 7 . 6/26/2007
I loved the whole story, simply put.
AttheSwamp chapter 7 . 6/12/2007
Loved the horse toast (LOL) Typical Sherman.

I really liked this story a lot. It was unusual, well written and a unique take on the old war horse.

Bravo my Toodles friend *claps wildly*
AttheSwamp chapter 6 . 5/26/2007
LOL re the mud diving line. Typical Sherman Potter humor. You did a great job of describing the conditions that the men had to fight in. "Thick and gluggy" sums it up just beautifully.
AttheSwamp chapter 5 . 5/14/2007
"The sulpha's in the living room" :D

You KNEW I would say that- didn't you? *big grin*

I liked it - and I will be interested to see how Sherman evolves in to the surgeon we know and love, or a younger version of him anyway.
Hawk-Hotlips chapter 1 . 5/2/2007
Good story, but I don't like the fact that you block anon reviews. Why do I have to login to review some one?
AttheSwamp chapter 4 . 5/2/2007
Jess-This chapter was very good and I think that you got in to the minds of Sherman and the other men really well. One tiny complaint though-I was just getting in to reading it and it suddenly ended!
AttheSwamp chapter 3 . 4/28/2007
Oh know - a cliff hanger! -Jess how could you?

Seriously, that was great writing, especially when you described the thoughts that would be running through the mens minds during the night. It must have been so strange-longing during the battles for peace and quiet and yet when the peace and quiet did arrive they were too wound up to appreciate it and could still hear the day's noise in their heads.
Hawk-Hotlips chapter 3 . 4/28/2007
A nice cliffhanger. Very descriptive. Again, a good story.
Hawk-Hotlips chapter 2 . 4/27/2007
Looks like you found your niche, telling about Col. Potter's memories as if he was telling them. Very good.
Captain Evermind chapter 2 . 4/23/2007
Hey there. :-) I like this concept very much - the cavalry days, as you call them, aren't something we hear much about.

You know something funny? I used to have a chestnut TB mare called Goldie! Lol! And as if that wasn't enough, I used to call her 'Maltariel', which translates as... (wait for it) Lady of Gold! How crazy is that? Hehe.

I'd like to see this series continue, perhaps with some of the characters who he talked about as being his best friends? (I cna't remember their names now, but it was in the episode where he gets the will... Stein, Grusky... something like that.) They just sounded like cool characters. Lol!
AttheSwamp chapter 2 . 4/23/2007
I have always hated the fact that horses had to be used for battle and I am also glad that you brought up the subject of over use of the whip. So how will Sherman and Goldie fare? Okay I hope:)
AttheSwamp chapter 1 . 4/23/2007
Sorry Jess butI would not agree with Sherman that the horse was a bad horse. The person who sent him in to battle when he was too young and untrained was to blame. An animal will react to pain just as much as a human does!

Good start though and nice to see a story from Sherman's POV
RoseLight chapter 1 . 2/7/2007
This is a creative idea: Col. Potter is a rich but woefully neglected character in most fanfic, and an imaginative writer could mine his experiences for some really engaging stories. Good luck.