Reviews for No Need to Scream
Tuli-Susi chapter 1 . 2/21/2011
Oh, I really liked this one! It's very interesting to read and write different people's interpretations of scenes from mangas (and anything that doesn't have a lengthy description). People do see it a little differently and I never realized 'til now that Watanuki didn't scream or raise his voice in this chapter. The positions were quite reversed. Thank you for opening my eyes!
Anyjen chapter 1 . 5/31/2009
That was interesting take on that scene.
Ja ne Kat chapter 1 . 2/20/2007
lol i love that for once he's saw a couple of moves ahead on the board by knowing the yuuko can't fix it for him. i loved that whole part of the manga.
Azamiko chapter 1 . 2/14/2007
Yep, I liked it. _
Kyia Star chapter 1 . 2/10/2007
I wouldn't call that expression on Doumeki's face horror, when he saw Watanuki's missing eye. I would call it unmitigated rage- he doesn't look horrified; he looks pissed beyond reason and his angry expression continues as he tells Watanuki that he can't go into Yuuko's shop. Yuuko even commented that he was angry with Watanuki, so I disagree: I don't think Doumeki was horrified.
VinVal chapter 1 . 2/9/2007
i picked up a slightly different take when i read the situation, but i full-heartedly agree that it's a great scene.

in any case, i kinda wonder if Watanuki feels guilt for some of the things Doumeki's done for him and justifies that with his anger. i like how you touched on that here: "As I walk, I tell myself I can live well without both eyes, one is enough after all. And with what I see through them each day, the less I can use them the better. He needs his eye sight for archery. He’s normal."

i like how he references Doumeki as normal, although he's most definitely not; he just can't see Doumeki for what he really is, can he? (this is where this take differs from my original one, just a little. it's not a bad thing, at all, so definitely don't take it that way!) there's a slight twinge of self-pity to this, something he'll deny until the day he dies, but it's clear what he feels his self-worth is when he battles the spider-queen. (i love that badass frame where he's got the pipe-fox swirling around him with the shard of glass in his hand - so hot, even with the missing eye).

in any case, i digress. you reiterate how Watanuki wants to be left alone, doesn't want to flaunt the sacrifice, but it's not in a "it was nothing" manner, it's more of a shameful feel, and that is a fine line to write, but you managed it quite well. then you switch it to unflinching determination. is he trying to show Doumeki that he can sacrifice for others, as well? is he looking for gratification? or is he just that startled by Doumeki's unexpected display of emotion? i like how at the end, Doumeki's the emotional one and Watanuki's completely unreadable.

i love the last line. it misleads as the title, but not in a bad way; i was expecting supernatural fear, not that he didn't feel like shouting his usual insults. it surprised me, and i liked that. it sums up the flip-flop these two pull on each other in this scene.

the only thing i'd do is give it a thorough once-over; in some parts the flow seems a little forced, sentences a little rambling, and makes Watanuki's character in this waver just slightly.

but i like this. i think i'll do a take of my own on parts, just because i loved the scene so much, too. there doesn't seem to be a lot of obviously in-series fics.

i'm glad i inspired you to change perspectives, too - sometimes it's challenging and fun to write in different tenses and perspectives. that's what writing's all about, isn't it?

wow. this is lone. sorry for the rambling. off to read Doumeki's perspective!
Atilla-the-Honey chapter 1 . 2/8/2007
oh! Doumeki finally snaps, yay!

Will there be a sequal?

Please?
outsidegalaxy chapter 1 . 2/8/2007
*waves large flag that says yaoi* I LOVE THIS!