Reviews for The Lie I've Lived
TupanHD chapter 20 . 2/9
Finally, some happy things are happening. This seemed like a tragedy the longer i read. Hope for no more drama
stevem1 chapter 23 . 2/1
I just finished my second reading. This is one of the most brilliant Harry Potter AU’s written. It’s top drawer in every way.

The only vague critique I had the first time I read it and Harry’s animagus form was revealed, I think I was critical. Pronghorn’s dont’ run toward danger like Harry does. I think the author fell in love with their speed and vision. Now, on the other hand, I think it was a good literary trick for Harry to be accepted into Fleur’s grove so I see why he did it.

I hope a sequel is written some day, though he’s probably too busy working and making money on actual selling novels. Still, we have this one and it’s always good for a reread.
Fahim Merali chapter 7 . 1/31
I was having trouble with the first person reading but the last 2 chapters have made me feel more in the zone. This chapter jumps around a bit and makes it hard to keep track of what's going on - nothing a couple of page breaks or new headings can't fix. Enjoying it overall, thanks for taking the time to write it
mewingdog chapter 24 . 1/22
i rather enjoyed this story , and your writing style is impeccable ... still hoping you write a sequel ... you won't will you ?
Freddie Rindklip chapter 7 . 1/23
Are you still monitoring this site? Regarding Chapter 7 I think you did a good job of an adult James boredom around shildren.
AvidReader2425 chapter 4 . 1/18
The story has a very interesting premise but I think things are getting incredibly heavy handed with character assassinations and or Garrity that just goes over the top it’s almost uncomfortable to read.

I don’t really know what you have against Lily Potter, the woman who died trying to protect her son, but the character assassination and rubbing her reputation through the mud just doesn’t make any kind of sense. Firstly, considering how moral and operate she has been painted to be, her cheating would be incredibly hard to believe in the first place, let alone her cheating with someone like Remus Lupin. If you wanted to give her some character flaws, she is already known for her rather spitfire temper, you pointed out some obsessive tendencies, and that she was willing to go beyond what might be legal in order to protect her son. These are all character flaws that would’ve made her a more rounded character, like she already was, without making her an adulterer with her husband‘s best friend.

Are we also going to just gloss over the fact that A previous an incredibly old headmaster seem to abuse his position to sexually abuse some of the school girls under his care? That seemed to be glossed over in such a way that I am truly shocked that it isn’t painted as reprehensible as it really should have been. Don’t get me wrong, if a villainous character is shown to be doing something like this, that’s fine, I don’t mind reading it, but usually it is framed in a way to show that their actions are truly atrocious rather than glossed over.

The hat has also become incredibly over the top, the way he talked to another school girl and how he talked about her was rather, or more so, incredibly offputting. It’s one thing to start pointing out an interest, even if slightly crude, but at some point during the dialogue, it just came over the top and rather uncomfortable.

Other reviewers have pointed out that James, at least whatever personality came through, seems far more lackadaisical about the emotional abuse that the Dursleys put his child through, something that a good father would be a hell of a lot more angry about.

Honestly, like I pointed out in the beginning, I really enjoyed the premise of the story, and I felt like it was going rather well with the first chapter. But by the time the second chapter came through, all the way to where I am now, it just seems overly vulgar, characters doing things that they wouldn’t do, and honestly pretty misogynistic with how a lot of the female characters when they have come up or being treated. Hell, there’s no issue pointing out that some characters are hot, some characters aren’t, but adding in the rather vulgar language about them and even talking to them, just gets uncomfortable to read after a while.

While others seem to really enjoy the story, and more power to them and to you as well, this does not seem like my personal cup of tea. I really hope you continue to get a large variety of readers that enjoy your writing though. Best of luck.
AvidReader2425 chapter 3 . 1/18
Thanks for the chapter, though I don’t really like the idea of Lily cheating with Remus lupine, or at all. I’m enjoying the story, that’s just my two cents
AvidReader2425 chapter 2 . 1/18
Thanks for the enjoyable chapter, though I think that hat was a bit much in its vitriolic comments and personality, but others seem to like it, so maybe it’s just me
AvidReader2425 chapter 1 . 1/18
So far really enjoying the concept and the execution, curious to see how this develops
RDDash chapter 4 . 1/11
This is stupid, how can Dursleys go full retard and sell something they never had. The plot of land in Godrik Hollow is a muggle Tesco, ️
Guest chapter 1 . 12/28/2021
Good portrayal of masculinity, reject modernity and weaknes.
Don't listen to the soylet below
tieflin chapter 17 . 12/24/2021
Loving this story but wanted to specifically say I loved the medical scene. Good on HJ for weathering that pain to save her and heal the lung. I enjoy HJ helping Poppy.
Efloresco chapter 16 . 12/20/2021
Okay so I'm honna quit here because I'm pretty sure I didn't like the rest of the plot and it's unfinished, but, I did want to take a moment to say I enjoyed reading this story. Besides the occasional toxic masculinity, which is honestly probably more a syntom of how old this story was, reading a fic where Harry is fun loving, carefree and confident is nice. It's nice to not have someone worry all the time about stuff that isn't that important. Plus Harry standing up for himself in a respectful and direct way is nice.
Efloresco chapter 7 . 12/19/2021
"destined to be the girl picked up at the bar by the bloke whose alcohol consumption had successfully squashed his common sense."

Jesus imagine thinking that fucking an ugly girl is objectively idiotic. In HJ's mind women exist only as visual attractions. This is kinda hard to read with all these sexists remarks thrown in there. I do know what feminist mean by "male gaze" now; the idea that women only exist in terms of men's judgement about them. Worst part is that some of this reads like a bloke having fun and some of it like unconscious misoginy. I really wish the writen would have just stuck with the first and filtered out the latter. I love reading carefree flirty Harry who isn't so self-conscious, but the sexism that's sometimes mixed in there is off-putting.
Efloresco chapter 5 . 12/19/2021
"It occurs to me that Penelope is quite attractive, though the idea of Percy's sloppy seconds doesn't really appeal to me."

Jesus I though the "let's prove I'm a guy" instead of a poof comment was a little out there, but being disgusted with a person for their previous partners? The toxic masculinity really is strong with this one. I guess where the "line" is has really changed over the years since I didn't even notice this the first time reading it.
4,982 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »