Reviews for Solo
ImLostForever chapter 9 . 5/24/2020
This was really marvellous... I loved your characterisations very much.
mcepl chapter 1 . 9/4/2017
I really really thank you, it is lovely story and very well written. It is really sad how few well written religious writings there are in the HP universe. You obviously are a way better in the Jewish thinking than in the Christian world (you admit it yourself), but I appreciate you tried really hard and you did pretty well considering.

The first note I have on the Christian thinking (or perhaps it is just a Protestant one and you are closer to the Catholic style of thinking). I think we try to concentrate more on the intent of the law than on its letter. So, in case of DA, I think it is perfectly OK to honour your teachers generally and even follow orders of Mrs. Umbridge which make sense, and still to defy her in parts where she did usurp her power for inappropriate things. Besides, DA was intended at least partly for the self-defence reasons: there is coming war if you want it or not and the official course in the school won’t give you any training. If you just follow the official stuff in the school, you leave the school without any tools to survive. Mind you, life in the wizarding world is pretty close to the life in the Wild West, everybody walks around the streets armed to their teeth (there are no stronger arms than wands anyway, so anybody is as heavily armed as possible all the time). If you won’t learn the stuff, you will end up very badly.

Concerning the Biblical prohibitions on the witchcraft, sorcery etc. I think the explanation is twofold. First for wizards, I would basically agree with you. Magical power is just a tool which should be used well, not for making oneself better than a particular wizard or witch actually is and not for immoral purposes (like trying to be like God, that's of course the very essence of any sin).

For Muggles (and I assume you are a Muggle, aren’t you ;)), the similar prohibitions mean that we should not pretend to be wizards and do magic, when we were not given the magical power. I guess Mr. Filch’s Kwikspell is closest in the HP universe to what I mean. In our own Muggle world of course there is a lot of so called magic which is nothing more than a Kwikspell in disguise (of course, the trick is to distinguish what is inappropriate meddling in what’s not ours and what is on the other hand perfectly acceptable and awesome science).

The last point on the religion in the HP universe. It is kind of weird: you noticed all those Christmas celebrations (and Easter vacations) when nobody would mention what actually Christmas (and Easter) is all about. I would add all those god-sons and god-daughters. It is really hard to have a godson without blackening the doors of a church (which means I have to imagine Sirius Black in the Saint Jerome church in the Godric’s Hollow, which is really weird idea; or even Lily Potter praying to God for the strength to defy Voldemort? weird).
Freedom Phantom chapter 9 . 5/31/2017
It was a really interesting story. It's true that there ain't enough Harry Potter fics out there with a religious perspective. That's is why I liked it in the first place. Also I'm trying to learn Hebrew and though Christian, I really like Judaism. But I'm still searching for my faith. I mean, I'm Christian in the sense that Jesus is my Messiah (or as I learned to call him: Yeshua HaMashiach) but I also feel a kinship with Jews. Jesus was a Jew first, he was born in the Kingdom of Israel to Jewish parents. That is why I feel I should learn more about His original culture, languages (Hebrew, Aramaic and possibly either Greek or Latin) and religion.

So, if I resume my path so far. I began as a Catholic (was baptized and did my confirmation. Attended a couples of mass when younger with my mom), became a lapsed catholic until about 15-16 years old when my school librarian re-introduced me to religion (she's a very devout Catholic), began delving into Protestantism (like the Five Solas, indulgences [which I found appalling]), but as I always liked languages (a multitude, I know a lot in different languages [but not fluent] and cultures) and I wanted to learn Hebrew the language of the Holy Bible. That when I began reading into Messianic Judaism. I would not consider myself a Messianic Jew right about now, I haven't learned enough but I like the idea a lot.

If anything, I consider myself a Christian Jew (if that make sense to you). I try to follow both holidays but some things are more hard to do (I try to keep kosher but I do like pork [bacon particularly] and shrimps) but as Jesus said:

"And when he had called all the people unto him, he said unto them, Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand: There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable. And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him; Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats? And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

Sorry if quoting scripture bothered you, that wasn't my intention. It's KJV by the way (that's my Holy Bible). Anyhow, it feels good talking to someone about this.

Anyway, it was a great story and it also helped me (though I'm more into Sephardi pronunciation of Hebrew than Yiddish).

שלום עליכם חבר שלי
FP
wish we could delete accounts chapter 9 . 2/15/2016
Wow.
This was an incredibly new perspective, and I loved it at every moment.
localfreak chapter 9 . 9/5/2013
I love this story so much. It is the longest, plottiest and most well written exploration into faith at Hogwarts and involves those minor characters I always wanted to read more about. Thank you for writing it.
Rachel chapter 6 . 8/5/2013
I don't think flying would be prohibited on Shabbat, as long as the rider doesn't leave the public domain.
MuggleCreator chapter 9 . 6/19/2013
Interesting...
Guest chapter 9 . 1/4/2013
I'm thinking of writing a story about a Jewish girl who gets a Hogwarts letter. I'm Jewish myself, and I have imagined myself at Hogwarts too many times not to think about all the difficulties I would have - and I'm not even religious!
If you want to give me pointers or something my pen name is adidi778, I'm just not on a regular commputer right now so I am not logged in.
Lady Moe chapter 9 . 1/17/2012
This is incredibly interesting. I never even thought about what might happen to religion in the magical world- your idea is creative and inspired.

-L.M.
The QAS chapter 9 . 12/18/2011
Nice story. I want you to know just how much this means to me. Really excellent writing and plot. As a modern orthodox Jew, I often feel as if I stand out. The idea of anyone trying to apply Halacha in the wizard world amused me to no end. I really loved this. Keep up the great work.
DistractionPie chapter 9 . 9/19/2011
This is really good, I'm often wary of fics involving religion because it's often a problematic subject to write about but I found this fic to contain a very fair and convincing portrayal of the various faiths and characters. I also admire how well you pulled of the ending, not resolving all of the issues, but showing the potential there. This was a really good story.
Shostakovich chapter 4 . 8/23/2011
So I really love this story, and I'm rereading it now, but I am laughing at a bad moment in it because my brother's bar mitzvah is very soon and his parsha is Shoftim also.
Something-something-argle-blar chapter 9 . 8/19/2011
Awesome. Just awesome. As a frum Yid myself, it was kinda nice to get all the Hebrew or Yiddish without having to look things up, and kind funny to picture the goyim scratching their heads.

Great fic, good message and interesting ideas.

Bechatzlacha!

The Next-Gen Otaku, aka, Yaakov Chaim.
Raptor Moses chapter 4 . 6/10/2011
Good story. I can relate to Anthony since I'm a Jew and my bestie is a observant Christian. In addition, Jacobs portion was incidentally the same one as me
Perchance A Primrose chapter 1 . 1/4/2011
I was so excited when I saw the recommendation for this story of the Harry Potter Fanfiction Challenge Forum. I just read the essay The Secrets of the Class List and it fascinated me.

This fic most definetly did not disappoint me. :)