Reviews for Forgiving
Norrsken chapter 1 . 3/22/2007
Beautiful Elysium interlude. *My* Hephaestion spends his time in good company while he is waiting for his Beautiful Golden One. I share your opinions about the Hephaestion / Patroclus connection. As I see it, Hephaestion is *much* more, he gives his strength, tranquility and stability to Alexander. The great Kingdom even crumbles to ashes when he is gone!

All the best wishes,

/ NorthernLight
Salome chapter 1 . 2/25/2007
I haven't read this one yet but I will. I'm glad to know that you have not yet forgotten to write the continuation of FAR AWAY FROM HERE (which I have been anticipating). I thought you've lost interest in it.
CoralDawn chapter 1 . 2/19/2007
Nice interlude in Elysium. I too think that Hephaistion was nothing like Patroklos. Perhaps he wanted to be to Alexander, what Patroklos was to Akhillieus. Actually, I don't find Alexander to be much like Akhilleus also, I rather think he looked at Akhilles as a rival. It was nice that Patroklos pointed out that Hephaistion was actually more passionate and cruel, similar to Akhilleus and Alexander.
khepri2 chapter 1 . 2/18/2007
A nice short story. I also find the Patroclus connection as far as Hephaestion himself is concerned not so clear cut. I believe Alexander wanted it but I'm sure that hephaestion himself must have found it burdensome after awhile and his character, what we know of it, is far more down to earth than Patroclus.
Joyeee chapter 1 . 2/15/2007
Nice, fresh look at the AtG-Iliad connection! I completely agree Hephaestion served in different (or, all due respect to Patroclus, simply _more_) functions to Alexander than Patroclus did to Achilles, and to be honest, I don't think the link to Achilles covers all that Alexander was, either. I also like that Hephaestion is incredulous to be called "more cruel" - as if he weren't even conscious of it. Which he wouldn't be, I think - decimating cities and dealing with dangerous people was part of their lives, and they necessarily had to do "cruel" things.

Thanks for sharing!
purple lolly chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
HA I guess right i guess right i knew who it was. a very nice little tale.
Kizzykat chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
Interesting and enjoyable. I think it could have been expanded a bit though. Why did Hephaestion find Patroclus boring? If he was dull, what did Achilles see in him to still love him so deeply? I think Patroclus in the Illiad is rather sweet and well-liked by everyone.
moon71 chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
Hello my dear

Forgive the disjointed and slightly "stoned" tone of this review, I am writing with a themometer stuck in my mouth. But I did love this little piece. I have often wondered what Hephaestion and Patroklos would say to one another and I have also hated it when people take the "Alexander's Patroklos" thing to extremes without really doing their research. I can see no parrallels in character between Hephaestion and Patroklos except their (sometimes questionable) devotion to the one they love, and the devotion they inspired in return - and of course the early death thing. I really doubt that Hephaestion modeled himself on Patroklos - I would even suspect the real connection was made long after his death. (For one thing, in the Iliad and other sources, Patroklos is a man of remarkable compassion - much as I love Hephaestion I can see very little historical evidence of that sort of humane feeling in him, in any of his comrades or, sometimes, in Alexander.) Your story manages to sum up a very long arguement I could make as simply and consisely as possible but it also has a beatifully peaceful quality and a certain sense of timelessness - that is to say, of time having no meaning in the eternity of the Elysium fields. I even agree that Hephaestion might fight Patroklos a bit boring - as a career officer, I would think the gung-ho types like Achilles and Ajax would be more his speed! It could be worse though - he could be stuck listening to one of Nestor's lengthy parables...
Trust No One chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
So few words and such a world of information. Liked your black short haired Hephaistion, more cruel than Patroklos.
MLygia chapter 1 . 2/11/2007
Beautiful story. Although I didn't know how you fell about alexander-Achilles connection or Patroclus-Hephaestion, less acceptable connection I liked how you show that Hephaestion was different, more hard, more passionate, more cruel(this last part a little less clear for me). Pitty that it was so short. I would like to have Achilles point of view in this talk too.
Baliansword chapter 1 . 2/11/2007
I was confused, at first, as to whom Hephaestion was speaking with. Once you mentioned Achilles I understood though. After going "oh" everything made perfect sense. Great story. I like how Patroclaus gave Hephaestion something to think about. It was nice to see the two together as well.

Baliansword