Reviews for He Who Laughs Last
dontgiveahoot chapter 1 . 3/4/2008
*Author’s Notes (continued): This was partly inspired by the “Dark Turtle” and “Donatello Trashes Slash” episodes. Though the most obvious character differences are found between wise-cracking 80’s cartoon Raph and short-fused 2003 cartoon Raph, I think there are some interesting differences between 80’s cartoon Don and 2003 Don too. So I thought I’d write a story about this specific incarnation of Donatello—the one that I, as a wee young’un, originally fell in love with.*

Oh yes! I'm really glad to see a fic written about this incarnation of Don. Despite being not as 'interestingly angsty' as his 2003-version, 80's toon-Donatello also had his moments of sensitivity and hurt from his brothers, particularly when it came to his inventions. The part about Leonardo also expecting the machine to fail was probably the most painful and best part to read.
Angelic Gargoyle Artemis chapter 1 . 11/3/2007
Cute. I like it.
sunbune chapter 1 . 5/23/2007
aww, poor Donatello! I'm sure he'll get it right the next time around!

this doesn't really seem like a 'humor' fic to me...

but I liked it. once in a while it's good to read something that ends on a somber note.

well done. _
Anonymous chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Oh poor Donatello! I loved the 80's cartoon! :)
anypenname chapter 1 . 2/21/2007
Yay~ Original cartoon turtles! I always felt bad for poor Donatello in the old cartoon. Sure, more than half the time his inventions exploded... but he was still able to create mind-bogglingly amazing stuff. Not to mention he could identify almost any evil device/scheme that Shredder and Krang threw at them. "Oh, that's a (insert strange alien device)! If Shredder gets his hands on that, he'll have enough energy to power the technodrone!"

Great job capturing the essence of the old cartoon Donatello in this story!
Jessiy Landroz chapter 1 . 2/13/2007
aw D: poor Donny, and all the while I thought it'll work out and work for a change. After the guys left him, I thought he'd poke at the machine, only to realize someone touched a wire and realizes someone messed it up for him, and that's why non of his stuff ever work...

Or maybe I'm trying to come up with an exuse for Donny to be mad at them? *pouts* poor guy...
pacphys chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
LOL! I absolutely loved the bit where he's thinking that Leo believes in him, only to realize that his brother is just waiting for everything to explode in his face just like the other two.

Aw, poor Donnie. Exploded on again. Just like he always is because he shows these things off before testing them. And here I was hoping that he might actually succeed for a change. Every good engineer knows that you test, test, retest and test again. He has such grand ideas, but seems to be lacking a little in the patience department. And perhaps the humility department, with how things tend to go for him. *hugs poor, foolish Donnie* Mean, laughing brothers. *chides, Raph, Mikey and Leo*

Though, when you consider the sorts of things that this guy is always up to, that they come even close to working (the portal, for example) or that they work at times is rather impressive in and of itself. (One of the main differences between OT and NT Don. NT-Don is more repair man and finding new uses for what he has. OT-Don is more into the grand discoveries. NT-Don also has a bit more patience on his side.) Too bad the other turtles can't understand that.

Wonderful little story in the OT universe!

Cheers,

~pacphys~
FF Demon chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
So it seem that I'm not the only one that think that the boys are cruel with Donnie. The poor guys! *hug Don*

Wonderful work, you really cacth the old toon spirit. Way to go!
Aurora Musis Amica chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
Got the 80's voices down pat. Well, Michaelangelo might've added another "dude" or "compadre" in there, but Raph and Don are on the button. Leo doesn't say enough to be sure.
Reinbeauchaser chapter 1 . 2/12/2007
Due to his proximity, Don’s plastron caught the bulk of the * shrapnel.

LOL I was thinking 'fruity' where the asterik is, because, that's what it was. Hilarious.

Ah, but poor Donny. One day, one day very, very soon, he will have the last laugh and then his brothers will come to appreciate their genius brother.

He should know that, for every failure, one steps closer to success. In failing, you find out what doesn't work, which deminishes the list by one, each and every time.

Great little one-shot about our loveable Donatello. Onto my C2 file it goes!

Loved this!