Reviews for Flies to Gather
hufflelit chapter 1 . 11/1/2015
This is so heartbreaking and so beautiful. The way you write the Winchesters is so right on, each scene feels like getting a little new canon. Thank you for writing.
TheKritty chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
I really liked this one! It was heartbreaking and so so tragic! John is a complex character,at least for me.I always liked him, I felt sorry for him and I never liked it when people featured him as a very very mean dad, beating his kids and being a cruel had been troubled and made some pretty big mistakes and sure wasn't father of the year - but he tried and always was he loved his sons.

So, you portrayed him pretty well in this little story, you captured him great - and Dean and Sammy too. I could exactly feel the emotions Sammy felt, though - man at first I was shocked (although, I gotta say I expected something like that, but still) and a bit angry at John, especially through Sam's eyes. But so Dog didn't have to suffer anymore and at least he had some very great days with Sammy and Dean and also John.

Great story, liked it very much!
Pedellea chapter 1 . 4/17/2009
Your narratives about the lives of the boys and their father are devastatingly beautiful. I love the simple ways you describe their lives, yet still leave me with a sense of sadness for the tragedy that are the Winchesters. While other fics focus on battling the ghosts and demons and other monsters, you are so skilled at illustrating the in-between, the other bits of life others miss. These are gems I absolutely love to gobble up!

This piece is just gorgeous. I think you pegged everyone really well. No harsh feelings for John for doing what he had to - he's the best father he can be, given the conditions he's been left to.

I hope you'll write something new soon!
Laura of Maychoria chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
Oh, ouch. That was very painful, and very believable. John didn't really have a choice, but oh, oh, that hurt. Poor Sam. Poor Dean. Poor Dog.
papergrape chapter 1 . 8/2/2008
I stumbled across this story; don't normally read wee!chesters, actually, but I really loved this one. You've recreated the boys childhood just as I would have imagined it; a flawed father who tries, Sam a picture of innocence that can't stay, Dean the protector of them both.

Thank you for posting; I do look forward to reading the rest of your fics. It's always a treat to stumble across a great story!
charming2drew chapter 1 . 9/6/2007
so that was really sad. thank you for writing this story. i never knew that there was a waiting list at the pound/shelter.

abbz
Angelbyname chapter 1 . 8/7/2007
Oh, God. Loved this ficlet
SuNgLaSsEs-ChI'c chapter 1 . 7/22/2007

im ata loss 4 words.
xsilicax chapter 1 . 5/9/2007
This was beautiful and sad. Poor John having to cope with Sammy eyes and doggy eyes.

Everybody needs someone to love, and pets are the best for that. They were lucky to have had Dog, even if it was sadly such a short time.

My heart was bleeding for John, having to do that; even though I knew it was coming!

Cathy.
A-blackwinged-bird chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
*ungh*

You broke my streak, you know. I was doing so good, reading and reviewing and pulling out my favorite lines BUT THIS...

I have no favorite lines because the whole thing was poetry. This is the best story I've read in a very long time, and there was nothing supernatural about it. Maybe it's because I make a living by working with dogs, but I could see Dog clear as day and he broke my heart. Even when I knew what would happen, I couldn't stop reading, couldn't turn away. This is beautiful, my friend. Simply Stunning.

emily
Barkley chapter 1 . 2/14/2007
I loved this so much.
hossgal chapter 1 . 2/13/2007
This story was recced by Barkley. And I should have known from the rec (and the tissue warning) that it was going to be a heart-wrencher.

This story is so close to canon, I can hear the car doors creak. And John sigh, and smell the dog.

Just wonderfuly interaction between all the Winchesters.

Thank you for writing this.

(The little review thing says to make a recommendation for improvement, so I'll say that here:

Dog was throwing up all those hot dogs on the pavement outside, Sam kneeled next to him,

I *think* it's supposed to be "Sam knelt".

- hossgal
Anna Wolfe chapter 1 . 2/13/2007
Hi, I just wanted you to know that I liked this story. It may sound dumb, but I did get a little teary eyed. Wonderful job.

Oh, and if you need a beta, I would be willing to help you.
Starliteyes17 chapter 1 . 2/13/2007
This was terrible and beautiful. As a dog lover you got me right in the gut, even though I saw it coming from the beginning - especially when Dog appeared to be sick. I could just hear Sam's line to Dean - "he just needs one person who loves him" - echo through my mind when Dean heard the shot.

This hurts, and yet it feels so right - so exactly how John would try to handle the situation. My heart just aches for these boys, and John, and Dog too. It also goes a long way to explain how Sam turned out so different from Dean - he's always been more idealistic in the show, and you reflected the roots of that here.

Excellent work. Thanks so much for sharing.
irismay42 chapter 1 . 2/13/2007
Oh *sniff* that was fabulous, John and Dean trying to do what was best for Sam, John and Sam trying to do what was best for Dog, and somehow as usual Dean got stuck in the middle.

OK need to go and hide in a dark corner now...