Reviews for Inherit
NongPradu chapter 5 . 9/11/2009
You know I read this every now and then, just when the mood strikes me? It's such a great story, though obviously difficult to read because of the subject matter.

But your pacing is so perfect, the tone and feel of it so true to real life and to the show. And the saddest part of all is how damned plausible it is. I remembered thinking in that episode that Dean's reaction was kind of... I don't know, subdued? When Sam said that thing about being lucky they had Dad. Put something like this behind it and it rings so true I actually get goosebumps.

I don't think they'll ever admit to anything like this on the show, but Dean's damaged enough (and Kripke has left hints about Dean having the crappy self-worth that he does because he had John Winchester for a father) that I think you can fill in the blanks as you've done here and maybe be right on the money.

I hope there's a sequel in the mix? Not even sure what that would entail (I leave that to you and your muse). But you just handled the John/Dean dynamic so well, especially John's short fuse and then shock/horror over what he's done afterward and Dean's never-ending supply of forgiveness and understanding. He just soaks up ill-treatment on the show and ALWAYS forgives it with a heart full of love. So Dean forgiving John time and time again for little soul crushing moments like you've described is so true and in character it makes my heart bleed a little.

Just beautiful and bittersweet. I really, sincerely hope you'll do a sequel. It's been almost two years... Maybe it's time you dust this off and give us a bit of a recapitulation, huh? You know you wanna!
Melodious329 chapter 5 . 11/9/2008
Brilliant.
hitchcock-starlet chapter 5 . 10/1/2008
Aww. Your ending gave me chills. This was a really good story. I think it could have been drawn out a bit more, but your tale was told and it left a mark (no pun intended!) Thanks for sharing!
Slash4Femme chapter 1 . 9/26/2008
this is an extremely intense moving story, it explains Dean's character better then the show does.
Sybrant chapter 5 . 8/31/2008
This was brilliant! Poor Dean. This fits in so well with canon though that you cant help that wonder whether John did actually beat on Dean a little.

Please say a sequel is in the works where Sammy finds out and calls John on it...*offers lots of cookies*
yaoigirl20 chapter 5 . 8/24/2008
aw poor dean! god, these stories make me so angry with John for the way he was in their childhood. Seriously it would not surprise me one bit if in one episode they reveal something like this. o well. GREAT JOB!
PrettyArbitrary chapter 5 . 8/23/2008
You know, I always wondered. Considering how casually rough Dean can be, and the way they grew up...at the very least I find it hard to think their dad didn't at least occasionally haul off and take a shot at one of them (probably Dean; I'm pretty sure your final scenario's exactly how it would've gone down otherwise).

Poor John. He was such a lousy father. He obviously loved them, and he obviously tried, but man, he sure messed those boys up.
cheryuki chapter 5 . 8/23/2008
i read your story in one piece and i have to say:

you are evil, because you broke my heart!

ripped it right out of my chest and now it's lying in thousands of tiny pieces in front of me _

i'm still sniffing. i thought all the time "oh john, NO!" and "oh dean, NO! DON'T!"

i can so relate to dean because i feel the same with my mother (just without the hitting part) but blaming myself for everything and such (yeah, took me a long time to realise that in therapy...)

anyway.. i liked your story, it really made me cry and i love it!
Sushi Chi chapter 5 . 7/24/2008
Wow. That was a really good story. I believe that could actually happen that way. The one that kinda stuck out in my mind the most is when John broke Dean's arm. This was very well written.
brookiwinchester chapter 5 . 7/15/2008
omg! that is so good! cant wait4more! did u get the last part from 'the look' or did u make it u?
Yvz chapter 5 . 6/15/2008
I liked it alot :) poor dean
FiveForFighting09 chapter 5 . 6/14/2008
wow.

kind of makes you wonder how different Sam's childhood and Dean childhood (if you could call it that) was. and how much Dean shielded Sam from.

Awesome story. This shows a different side of John that not many like exploring. Good job. And Dean's fiercness when John tried to hit Sam is exactly what Dean would have, and still would do.

Loved it.
darklight1216 chapter 2 . 4/20/2008
Great story, poor Dean. I understand why John gets frustrated sometimes. Nice spin on the usual abuse stories.
erika chapter 5 . 3/24/2008
so beautiful!

you must continue!please!
kathyrne chapter 5 . 1/24/2008
OMG...YOU HAVE TO UPDATE!

THIS STORY IS GREAT!