Reviews for Going Native
MysteryTrek chapter 2 . 8/15/2011
Not bad.

Though the one problem here is, ironically the Prime Directive. It's been made clear in canon that the Prime Directive does not apply to humans. Gaeta could've taken them to Earth without any legal repercussions.

It is a great story though.
NGTM-R chapter 67 . 7/18/2011
So I didn't yet comment on this, but really, I should. It's far too rare I take the opportunity to offer praise without qualification.

This story works, and works well. This is actually quite impressive; BSG was a heavily character-driven show and I can think of only one other fic on this site that portrays the cast this faithfully. This doesn't speak to just your skill at regurgitating what you saw on the show, as I have come to comprehend from my own efforts, but also considerable effort to treat them as they should be rather than as you want them to be. My memories of TNG are hazy, I haven't watched it in years, but again I believe you treated all concerned fairly and faithfully portrayed their characters.

Other people have praised your decision to use Felix Gaeta as the bridge between the two groups. I personally think you could have also used Helo just as well from a character standpoint, but I have to admit that there really was no way to tie him in to the...mythology, if you will, of Star Trek so well as you did with Gaeta.

Other things I have to praise include the fact you didn't indulge in the urge to hand out feel-good asskickings to anyone, which too many crossovers do, or harp much on the technological differences/have the Federation show off obnoxiously. Simple, cut and dried, move on to the interesting bits about the people or what the technology means to them.

This, and the followup, are in short the kind of crossover I've always wanted to find and usually been denied: not a grand story in scope, but one down in the trenches, where things happen and the actual collision takes place, and better for it.
AngelForm chapter 67 . 7/16/2011
An excellent piece of work.
VFR6 chapter 45 . 5/22/2011
That was a crowning moment of funny!
MebsTheFiend chapter 67 . 4/26/2011
Best BSG xover I've seen. And best TNG xover, for that matter.
MebsTheFiend chapter 16 . 4/25/2011
The last few paragraphs just made me burst out in laughter :D You go, Starbuck!
funvince chapter 67 . 12/5/2010
I'm impressed at how well you melded these two series together. And using Gaeta as the common link makes a lot of sense because he really was the idealist character of BSG and the only one who could probably believably be from the Federation. I also like that you pointed out the flaws in both societies. The Federation is obviously a better place to live but even it's not perfect. You wrote all the characters really well and the way you handled the Cylon problem was quite interesting.
leobold1 chapter 67 . 12/4/2010
By far the best story on fanfiction. I come back to reread this every few months. It would be so easy to make this story cliche, but you've done an excellent job making it seem real.

My only complaint is the space between the opening quote and the first work, but I did notice that it went away toward the very end.

I know there is a sequel, and I'm hoping you address the Final Five there, I'm heading off to read that as soon as I finish this.

I love how Reg "Mad Dog" Barclay figures so highly in the story. He's my favorite minor ST:TNG character.

I also love how the characters are completely written IC, with the exception of Gaeta's backstory, which is very plausable.

Now, comes the wishlist if you decide to do some rewrites or add in more chapters or a new story:

A Colonial death in combat, so the Colonials can hear a Klingon Death Ritual.

A romance between Tory and a Starfleet officer, a rocky one that is left up in the air.

Gaeta programming a holodeck program for the exchange officers, tailored to their personalities.

An appearance by the Ferengi, looking to sell or trade numerous, and useless items.

Overall, an excellent story, one that could easily become a crossover novel in both universes.
bookdragon01 chapter 67 . 10/7/2010
I am so grateful that someone pointed me toward this story. It is outstanding.

I saw all the original BSG, but only a handful of episodes from the new version and still all of the characters lived and breathed here. Simply wonderful.
carick of hunter moon chapter 67 . 9/18/2010
This is truly an outstanding, story, which captures both the feel of both BSG and star trek the next generation

this story is real page turner, which is very well thought out and the plot arc works well and holds together from start to finsh

This story also bring something new to the table which is very hard to do when creating fanfiction, it is a story that will keep you up, way past your bed time, thank you for a wonderful story
WraithRune chapter 67 . 8/28/2010
Amazing story!
witch20 chapter 67 . 8/10/2010
I loved your story! I read it all in two days. Keep up the great writing. It has been very funny and impressive.
Ehann chapter 64 . 6/30/2010
Wow, what a great read! I am so happy I found your story, amazing job!
The Breeze chapter 67 . 5/17/2010
Every now and then I re-read this story just to remind myself how much it rocks.
cklammer chapter 67 . 5/4/2010
Sadly I only became aware of this story after is was completed.

I am stunned by the plot and the creativity that went into it. Well done!

Your writing style makes reading the tale easy - well done, too!

A page turner - a really captivating read!
1,408 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »