Reviews for The Powers That Be
OmG this story is soooo good already!
Lazarus495 chapter 32 . 12/21/2014
From a physiological point of view your reason for bruce to do those those things doesnt make sense at all. But it sure is better than bruce just succumbing to the changes. And i guess no one who reads this fic will actually like bruce's actions.
Lazarus495 chapter 24 . 12/21/2014
So batman is only invisible to the 'visible spectrum' of light? And he didnt make it from whatever that was more important that needed his attention at the same time until everyone was out? How convenient.
Lazarus495 chapter 17 . 12/21/2014
The beta-ing(?) really shows here. No glaring grammar error that i remember which makes it more pleasant to read.
Of course the story in itself has been very interesting. Im glad to be along for the ride. Now i just want to see some brain battle between batman, lex and ultra. Or is lex even in the battle and not just a puppet?
Lazarus495 chapter 13 . 12/21/2014
Damn. I didnt see that coming. So it was brilliant. Now i have no idea where this is going. Must go read up on the character.
Lazarus495 chapter 7 . 12/20/2014
I forgot to mention this : the sectences jump from past tense to present tense in many places, and back to past tense. Its a bit disconcerting. Some people could be put off by it.
Lazarus495 chapter 6 . 12/20/2014
I dont know why i didnt read this until now. Its been great so far.
The one point where i felt uneasy was how bruce went about asking diana to the picnic. For a while i had thought that along with supermans power his character had also been transferred to bruce.
So i decided i had to review this chapter because this time you did the spar conversation from both perspectives. The insight into bruce's mind was pure genius.
LaughingSenselessly chapter 34 . 4/29/2014
Oh my's like the Justice Lords... and maybe that's why Batman would turn against the Justice Lords eventually, because he'd already learned his lesson?! Man what an ending. Sort of cruel in an way, that they just got over this huge issue and now everything's going to turn on its head. I liked the foreshadowing about Flash being the glue that holds the JL together and Wonderwoman musing about cutting her hair.

Overall excellent story!
LaughingSenselessly chapter 28 . 4/29/2014
LaughingSenselessly chapter 19 . 4/29/2014
OMG I think I know what's going on with Batman. But I'm not gonna say because I'm notoriously bad with solving mysteries and don't want to be humiliated for my wild theories :P
LaughingSenselessly chapter 3 . 4/28/2014
This story is good. Much applause so far.
ZabuzasGirl chapter 1 . 2/10/2014
Update immediately, please!
Guest chapter 33 . 1/16/2014
Wait, there's something in my pants... ah, its jizz. Thanks a lot buddy. No, really. Thanks. This was a great read.
TheWritingGirl23 chapter 34 . 5/2/2013
Hoo, mama. Boy, do you know how to write a story.

In hindsight, I'm kind of glad I read Eternal first. I once read two fics that were connected but also stand-alone second to first. I rather enjoyed the experience more, reading the following events before the prologue story. The deep revelations and trials that are already present in the second installment aren't yet present in the first story, so a new kind of tension builds wondering when the bad things happen and how they came about. In this way, it made me even more eager to read this story, and I came out of it with a bigger appreciation for what it is than I might have otherwise. The only thing I miss because of the swapped readings was the big gasp when you reveal that this was the Justice Lord universe all along. For the rest of this review, I'll be looking at it from an angle considering both stories.

Now, when I reached the end and read some of the reviews of the epilogue, I might have sided with some people on the ending, but since I've read Eternal, I can see a whole new depth to the continuing storyline. It even adds another neat, fictional dimension to the JL 'Better World' episode. The ordeal Bruce went through with the powers could almost explain Lord Batman's characterization, albeit with some repetition. The tyrannical world vision and the following self-doubt after the Achilles incident explains why he's part of the Lords' dictatorship, and then the humbling and experience of coming back to reality explains why he was the first to turn back to good. I could see the logic of one of your reviewers: it was kind of depressing to think forward, that after the lessons they learned and the hopeful end chapter (excluding the epilogue), they still fell to pride and tyranny. But mistakes aren't always learned from, and while sad, it does give a greater scale of humanity and sympathy for the Lords.

The thing that really tugged a heartstring here, though, was Superman. He may not be one of my favorite heroes, but there's no denying that he IS one of the greatest heroes in all of literature, and his selfless, forgiving nature here shows it. To know and to have seen how low he sinks in "A Better World" and Eternal almost hurts. Now I'm almost desperately wishing for his reformation in Eternal. Boy Scout and Not-Quite-As-Cool-As-Batman he may be, but seeing Superman as anything less than one of the World's Finest just feels wrong.

In the same way, my investment in the BMWW romance just skyrocketed. Seeing them struggle so hard here makes their reunion in Eternal that much more important.

Again, like in Eternal, I appreciate the level of thought, detail, and maturity that is present in every chapter of this fic. The plot, conflicts, and characterizations were all done their justice; Lex Luthor and Ultra were awesome villains, the League were compelling protagonists, and Delores Winters and Clayface were sympathetic in-betweens.

Like you admitted in author notes, I did see grammar problems and other errors, but aside from that, I had no major complaints about this whatsoever. It was well-worth the time, red eyes, and screen-exposure headache to read.

Your Now Official Fan,
CloudyDream chapter 34 . 2/22/2013
This was a really interesting concept, and I liked how you developed it. Well done & thanks for sharing this story with us! :)