Reviews for A Spinster, Subornment, and a Strip Club
Iniga chapter 5 . 3/17/2007
Six, seven hours and he stops. I wonder if this is some kind of turning point for Mark, since I doubt it is for Roger.
Iniga chapter 4 . 3/17/2007
So, I just said in the other review that I liked that Mark/Maureen had a real connection and a fairly two-sided relationship, and in this chapter Mark says otherwise. However, what with Mark being a hopeless romantic fimmaker who ponders the feelings of cooking utensils and berates himself for not telling off his heroin-addict roommate, maybe there's not much Maureen could do to make their relationship seem more like love to him.

Allison doesn't hold the door for Mark and demands that shoes get taken off. Mr. Grey gives Benny a series of slaps on the back instead of a hug. So here's the tip of the downside of the life Benny's chosen without being cartoonish any more than Mark's artistic life is pure. Still, this is the Benny who says "You wanna produce films and write songs? You need somewhere to do it."

Meanwhile Roger is twirling in circles.
Iniga chapter 3 . 3/17/2007
As always, your portrayal of Mark is perfection. Of course he feels sorry for the pot (great quote to start the chapter by the way). Of course he has a non-moment moment with April, complete with narration.

Other nice things:

Even with Roger out of it, and not treating anyone or himself very well, he can still pick up Mark's train of thought.

Aw. Cameo by Mimi (presumably) and Mark calls her a whore...before realizing she basically is one.

Collins sitting down to watch April and Maureen wanting to change the channel? Very them.
Iniga chapter 2 . 3/17/2007
Mark worries that Maureen is taking her cooking seriously- at first, I worries that she was refusing to go out because she had plans to cheat on him that day. I like the way you show a rift between them with the bells. They do connect on a lot of levels, which makes sense when you think of how close they remain in canon after their breakup. The relationship isn't perfect, but it's very real; it's not just Maureen manipulating Mark, as happens in way to many fics.

And Roger's problems are always just barely beneath the surface, except when they break through the surface and make everything else stop, removing the humor from a good fight about "cooking." The dynamic between all four is interesting.

Love the upbeat/silly ending after all the subtle and no-so-subtle character interactions and worries. "It was funny. But it was our only clean pan."
AlloftheAbove chapter 5 . 3/3/2007
Excellent as always.
AlloftheAbove chapter 3 . 2/28/2007
I'm reviewing this chapter too...because...I didn't and it just deserves to be. Love it. Can't wait for the next installments, and sorry about the out of order-ness...
AlloftheAbove chapter 4 . 2/28/2007
How does this story only have seven reviews? Ridiculous. You're so dead on with the characters...and gasp, they're actually human! I love love love it. Excellent.
GenuineAmy chapter 4 . 2/27/2007
You are amazing. Your characterization- Mark, Collins, Maureen...Benny! You've taken a character that we know very little about and made him, well Benny. I can't tell you how much I love these characters. Mark is fantastic. I've always seen him as sarcastic and not nearly as submissive as many writers make him out to be. I really can't say much more. I look forward to the next part; I guarantee that I will keep on reading.
UnnamedElement chapter 3 . 2/25/2007
Absolutely, brilliantly, amazing!

I simply LOVE your characterizations. Your Collins entertains me to no end. Your Mark/Maureen relationship is also intriguing, as most people only show the horrid side of Maureen and the sickeningly submissive side of Mark. Your take on the Mark/Roger/Maureen Mark/Roger/April and Collins/Roger relationships are also interesting.

The last chapter, when Mark was telling Maureen about the church bells, astounded me. He's on a creative-high but slowly descends to reality with the realization that Maureen doesn't really get it. "I lost you." "No, you didn't lose me. I promise." Something to that effect. Tremendous. I absolutely loved it. :)

Anyway, your Mark and Collins are the best I think I've ever read (or at least, my favorites). :) Thanks for the story and please continue writing.

Best-

UE
cookiedough15 chapter 3 . 2/25/2007
Wow, this stroy is really really good. Keep it up! I want the next chapter!
AlloftheAbove chapter 2 . 2/23/2007
Gah! You are so damn good.
Cede chapter 2 . 2/23/2007
I really like that, really good story telling
Iniga chapter 1 . 2/22/2007
Aw, Mark and Benny! I love Mark and Benny, together and separately. I really enjoyed the way you explored the "love triangle" dynamic between Mark/Roger, who are canonically joined at the hip, and Mark/Benny, who lived together in college and shared what were probably some defining experiences. Mark is Bohemia, and Roger is the artist living in the Village; but Benny doesn't cause Mark to need the "heroin" stamp. And fast cars can be fun, and Mark DID grow up in a priveleged community that sent him to an Ivy League education. I love that Mark/Benny's dialogue about the car is clever and fluffy, in contrast to the worrying, anxious undercurrent of "Roger is going to get himself killed" when Mark is home (in the literal and figurative sense, since even if Mark does find the car and the tux amusing, he's not wired to belong anywhere but where he is with Roger and company).Well-written as always.
GenuineAmy chapter 1 . 2/21/2007
I very much enjoy your writing and this story doesn't disappoint. I like seeing the relationship between Benny and Mark. I think out of all the bohemians, Mark would be closest to everyone's favorite landlord. I was a little surprised at Collins' reaction to Mark's anger at Roger. I really want to see where you take this and I hope you continue.