Reviews for Jumping at Shadows
velfire chapter 1 . 3/16/2009
brilliant brilliant fic everything was perfect from the details to the mood, wording, characterizations, etc.

i loved the flow of the fic, and the nuances and the way you weaved shadows and darkness in.. and the end. loved the end.
Ocianne chapter 1 . 12/9/2008
That was /incredible/. Perfectly orchestrated. Thanks for sharing. :)
12q chapter 1 . 11/16/2008
A very great in-character analysis of Riku and what happened during KH1; I'm impressed. The story flows beautifully, and you've really got RIKU here. I am in awe. Thank you for writing & sharing!
Dr. Sipp chapter 1 . 1/9/2008
Love this so much.
musouka chapter 1 . 6/5/2007
This fic made me tear up.

You do so many complicated, beautiful things with it, weaving together description and thought masterfully. The way you take us inside Riku's thoughts rings so true to the game. He thinks highly of himself, but because of that he feels responsible and protective of his friends. You can feel that longing mixed with fear inside him-his worry of how good or bad he really is-using the theme of "shadows".

One of my favorite bits was the subtle description you used of Maleficent's shadow; it gave me goosebumps. I could see it in my head picture perfect, the wavering shadow on the wall, a glimpse at what she really is. But instead of fighting it, Riku accepts because the only way he can see to save Kairi is to embrace the shadows and tell himself he's no longer afraid, and that BEING afraid is something a child would do. He leaves behind that "good boy" his mother cradled in her arms and comforted, ignoring the fact that you can't be truly brave unless you're fightened.

I love that Riku has big dreams. It was my favorite aspect of him in the game. Here is a boy that really SHOULD have been a hero. He has those qualities in spades. He's not perfect, but neither are any of the characters. And yet something twists and goes wrong, and it's Riku that's reaching out to those shadows in a desperate attempt to hold on to everything while Sora is the one with the shining keyblade, cutting through Riku's darkness like a shaft of light. It's not fair, but life rarely is.

Anyway, sorry. What I'm trying to say is that this is an amazing fic. Not too long, not too short, everything is just right. Your words are chosen beautifully. You've sifted through the English language and set each word one perfectly-they all shine. I meant it when I said this fic deserves more reviews. It's really something special and your pride in it is well warranted.
Rosalyn Angel chapter 1 . 5/25/2007
/wow/. That was one of the best KH1!Riku-motivation stories I've read! Really kept him to his character-and all the scenes fit together so /well/ even if they weren't linear, and what his Mom said about the shadows... It just works so well. Also, your Maleficent was spot-on.

just... gah! great job!
Higuchimon chapter 1 . 4/15/2007
That was very good. I think you caught Riku's thought processes very nicely there.
Pata Hikari chapter 1 . 4/10/2007
This...

This...

This is the best look into Riku's motivations I've SEEN. I mean... wow... just amazing.
Flame Swordmistress chapter 1 . 3/31/2007
This was such an entrancing read, and really made my day. It gets inside Riku's head (and/or heart) so well. The jumping back and forth in time is great, and I like seeing the lines from the game through his eyes.

Very psycological. needs more writing like this.

-Sword
i AM the Random Idiot chapter 1 . 3/4/2007
This.

Was.

Unimaginably.

Inenarrably (isn't that word cool? It means "so much that there isn't a name for it"),

AMAZING.

The cut-up, disjointed scenes that all play off and continue from each other gave this amazing sort of feel to the entire thing that really helped showcase the complexity of Riku's relationship with the darkness and Maleficent and his mother (nobody EVER gives Riku a mother, he's always a screwed-up orphan, grr) and Kairi and Sora and OMG.

You Rock Out Loud Forever. GOOD JOB TIMES ELEVENTY BILLION!
time can take its toll chapter 1 . 2/25/2007
Wow.

I love the way this is arranged. All of the pieces fit so well together; the younger!Riku scenes are so wonderfully eerie; the italicized lines are gorgeous and fit the scenes so well; and the 'textbook' readings tie it all together really nicely. :3

I like the length of this, too. It's long enough to satisfy without losing my interest. And I think you've done a really, really great job portraying Riku and the thoughts behind his actions - well done! :D

Definite fave.
Sy Druid chapter 1 . 2/22/2007
Nicely written, great descriptions and dialogue. It mingles perfectly with how things are portrayed in the game, great job
27 | « Prev Page 1 2