Reviews for Countdown
Avery1 chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
Absolutely perfect! I can't believe you were able to tell us so much about the situation and the characters in such a short space of time. Utterly believable; utterly brilliant. Please write more MfU. Blessed be.
LaH Carabele chapter 1 . 9/29/2009
So poignant and so very sad, even though the element of hope "springs eternal". Truly affecting.
Curuchamion chapter 1 . 9/24/2009
Ouch.

This is one of those very rare stories that I know I'll have to re-read on that hopefully far-off day when everyone else in the fandom is writing DMc tribute fic.

Ouch.
PrincessIvye chapter 1 . 11/10/2007
Whew! This is beautiful!

So terse and true and so unsentimentally poignant!

I love it.
Katescats chapter 1 . 8/31/2007
Hi

Just read your story it was good.
Zephyrfox chapter 1 . 7/22/2007
wow! This story packs one heck of an emotional wallop! It is so well-written.
Romanse chapter 1 . 6/19/2007
WOW! Did I stumble across a GEM of a story! This writing is rockin'! Of course I'm dying and wanting to beg shamelessly for more, but I do so appreciate what you accomplished in this short story.

It's brilliant and all I can say is PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE write more MFU!
Sarah chapter 1 . 3/28/2007
Oh, my Lord...

I thought from the word count, "Well, this cant be anything too profound." Boy, was I wrong.

Your prose is spare and economical and there's not a word extra - yet what's there is hard and urgent and true. I find myself in Illya's nimd perfectly. Everything is short and urgent and factual - as befits an UNCLE agent - and then this:

"There were a million things Illya wanted to say. He wanted to tell Napoleon to run as fast as he could. He wanted to give his location so that he would be rescued. He wanted to tell his partner to live a good life, and not to mourn too deeply if he didn’t make it. He wanted to ask the man never to forget him. He wanted to say thank you, or I’m sorry, or I love you.

“Possibly a problem with my communicator,” he lied. “I will check it when we get back.”

I love the "ask the man never to forget him" - that line just gave me chills. Truly a heartbreaking line, and the "the man" instead of any other synonym, makes it universal, makes it something elemental, bigger, for the moment, than just this situation - Illya kind of becomes every human being at the moment of death.

One of the things that make this special is your paragraph division. I like the way you divide it up into terse, short two-line paragraphs. It gives it sharpness and clarity and paces it really well.

And I adore the open ending! (You cruel author: "The pen went silent and Illya let it fall to the floor. He would need both of his hands if he had any hope of freeing himself." Eminently practical, beautifully justified, and - cuts off any hoe of a real goodbye! But it's so realistic and justified we love it anyway.) No ending could have been more beautiful, hope and finality all in one: "One minute fifty-eight, one minute fifty-seven, fifty-six, five, four, three..."And I like that you cut the "fifties" after a few repetitions. I love this. You've said in a few lines what others take pages of flowery proe to say - and not so eloquently, either.
Mor chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
Yup! You sure can tell a story!

Mor
lauren hedgehog chapter 1 . 2/25/2007
No... you can't leave it there! An absolutely wonderful little scene even if the ending is an evil cliff-hanger :-P I enjoyed it muchly, so thank-you :-)