Reviews for Life Could Have Been So Different
Stormblade chapter 24 . 3h ago
And by sword you mean street sign, right? ;) Or Shadow Rifle, or a handgun, or... Well, you get the idea. :)
UltimateOtakuGirl100 chapter 56 . 2/8
I intended to review yesterday, but unfortunately, the site was down, so I couldn't. BLUH.

Okay, now on to what I have to say...

Throughout the course of the story, I kept noticing the little things, like Ivo being twenty already or Sonic already being... y'know, born. I was rather peeved at first, cuz like, "Didn't this chick pay any attention to when the games said it happened fifty years before?!" Then I just ended up rationalizing that meh, maybe you'd decided Ivo was just WAY older than I'd assumed, and like, in your world "Sapient" hedgehogs maintained their youth for a very long time. Either that, or you just hadn't payed enough attention to the games, so you weren't aware of the fifty-years-before thing- in which case, well, it was a very well-written story anyway, even IF the writer had fallen asleep through the cutscenes of SA2, so I could just pretend that those things hadn't been mentioned and keep reading.

Cue scene where Shadow Chaos Controls in front of Maria, and my mind

Freaking

BROKE.

The next few chapters were spent trying to understand what the HECK I was reading and trying to figure out ways to still fit it into the canon, and then finally, realization and... relief.

Well played, ma'am. Well played. (...I'm assuming you are female... If I'm wrong, then I AM SO SORRY.)

This story was an emotional roller coaster that I never wanted to end- particularly because the end meant the rollercoaster sailing straight off the tracks and exploding. Or so I thought. That was what I'd been bracing myself for, but evidently, I just got a snapped picture of my bewildered face at the grand finale.

I'm so, so glad that you wrote this, and I am ever impressed with your ability as an author.

If you always write this well, then maybe I'm going to have to stick around and read more of your stuff! ;P And who knows? High school AUs usually aren't my thing, but maybe since it sounds like there's going to be actual plot (I mean, beyond "new kid moves into town and meets most popular kid at school and gets bullied by jealous peeps but then popular kid saves them and they fall in love and graduate, the end". Kinda sick of reading those all the time, but since it seems like that's not what you're going for, and since there's going to be EXPLOSIONS...), I might just check it out.

T'was an incredible adventure, and I'm glad that I got the opportunity to experience it. I look forward to seeing more high-quality work like this in the future! :P

P.S: Looking at your profile and noticing that you've had trouble with Western stories... First thing that came to mind was Sonic as Speedy Gonzales. As in... from Looney Toons. XD Beyond that, there was the obvious Western AU, where Sonic could be a "for-the-people" sort of outlaw, and he could be being hunted down by either Knuckles, the LAWFUL bounty hunter/sheriff/officer thing, or Eggman, the... not-so-much. Or both. Either would fit. Dunno if you're interested in dabbling in that any time soon, but it was just the first thing that came to mind, so if you want to test out the Western genre, there's a little plot bunny to get you started. Or something.

P.S.S: Screw you for that April Fool's chapter. Just... screw you. (...I'm joking, of course. Still, my mind just gave up on me for a good twenty minutes after that.)
CatGirlFireflare chapter 56 . 1/28
Poor Shadow! XD high school. what a horro- WAAAIIIIITTT A MINUTE. Didn't he already pass the exams? Or was that record destroyed in the whole ARK attack?
Eh whatever. Heehee, I love Maria being all awesome. She's such a great person, I hope Shadow and her keep out of trouble...
...PFFFF-HAHAHAHAHA!
CatGirlFireflare chapter 55 . 1/28
THIS. THERE ARE NO WORDS FOR THE UTTER BRILLIANCE THIS IS. I WANT TO KEEP IT WITH ME TO CHERISH FOREVER.
This holds so much stunning realism and heartbreaking genius and the ending where they escaped from ARK and everything is JUST SO BRILLIANT!
Though my heart breaks for everyone who died along the way, and all the trauma and pain that the poor people have endured.
But still. THIS. WAS. SHEER. BRILLIANCE. AND. GENIUS. I cannot stress that enough. :)
JuniorLibrarian chapter 32 . 1/19
I'm australian. Come on, join us!
Healmaster0927 chapter 2 . 12/11/2014
I feel really bad for Sonic.
Great story!
Guest chapter 56 . 12/8/2014
Awesome wait for the sequel.
GriefSeeds chapter 55 . 11/17/2014
Well. That ruined me.

I don't read a lot of fanfiction. Usually I don't have the time for it, or I'm too busy trying to write my own ideas down on paper, but on the rare occasion that I do, it has to meet two qualifications; it has to be long, and it has to catch my eye. Just the description of this work sparked my interest, but by the end of the second chapter, I was hooked.
It was an emotional roller coaster, to say the least, haha! I've never had much interest for Shadow as a character, but during and after reading this, my mind has been nothing but ideas and headcanons! Your story really opened me up to the character, especially Maria and Gerald as well. I /felt/ for them. You wrote out the timeline, the series of events so well that I got to grow with the characters. I read along with their emotions, their thoughts and how they felt, and when they were experiencing pain or sorrow, I literally felt for them. I was a mess towards the end chapters, haha.
But that's the mark of a good author! If you can make your audience relate and care for the characters, you're doing your job right. I definitely wanted to see these kids and their grandfather be happy, and the ending left like, the biggest smile on my face.
It was super enjoyable to read, and I shared it with a good amount of my friends! Thank you a lot for writing this, and I hope you keep on writing in the future! I love your works; I've already read three others of yours!
xo
Anon chapter 55 . 11/16/2014
This was wonderful! I adored all the twists and turns of shadow's childhood, and the very natural development of his character from wide eyed youth to darkly humoured teen menace! I must admit though, the troll chapters drove me absolutely up the wall. As much as I love the fic, they were just too anoying to disregard. Ignoring that: overall totally fantastic, thank you!
Dewdrop of DiamondDust chapter 56 . 11/12/2014
I love this story. . XD Also, I'm curious...will you continue the plot of the games with this AU world in the High School arc? And I've got an idea for something that could make Black Doom come earlier than expected, if you'd like to hear it. XD I just love reading this, and your theories on Chaos energy are fascinating. Also, for someone whose first language isn't English, you certainly have a better vocabulary than mine! (And English is my first language. XD)

Have fun!
Kierany9 chapter 56 . 11/2/2014
Aaaaand holy shit, I just pulled an all-nighter reading this from start to finish. There were a few modifications to canon I wasn't exactly happy to begin with about but they all fit in nicely at the end with one minor exception(The events of the game Shadow the Hedgehog to be precise). Both endings are pretty good, even though I prefer the one that fits into the canon. Anyway, time for a long-ass review of mine.

Grammar and spelling are good, story's interesting, you're good at describing stuff, yada yada yada. I'll say this now, this story truly goes above and beyond. I've always felt like the games left the backstory of Shadow too ambiguous, and like I said, almost all of this story meshes with canon. The way Shadow is treated, plus partial mental corruption(going with the ending that follows canon here) clearly explains Shadow's actions and personality during the events of SA2. "I promise you - (no) revenge!" has got to be my favourite quotes from a fic in a while because of the genius of it. The overall pacing of the story is pretty damn good as well. There's never a dull moment and no useless filler, there's always some reason for events. The character development of Shadow himself alone is enough to grab interest for the first two thirds of the story and the rising tensions drive it from there. The way it's set up as well make it so that even Sonic's interjections are a nice touch, they provide some humour, character development and serve as a break from the monotony. Nobody falls out of character at all during the story and they're all three-dimensional. Everybody has their motives and reasons for doing what they do and nobody acts the way they do for the sake of it. I could go on but I'll leave it at that as there's nothing more I can add other than comment on a lot of smaller things that were done right.

So to summarize, a story that goes above and beyond providing a huge ammount of detail onto Shadow's backstory, even at the cost of a bit of modification to canon. A long ride, but I sure as hell enjoyed every moment of it. And if your writing is always this good, I might even take a risk and read your high-school "sequel".

10/10 can't praise it enough, would stay up until 5 AM again.
Aneita chapter 1 . 10/28/2014
This is the most amazing Sonic fan-fic I've read in years. I love how you keep the characters in-character. It was such a surprising twist at the end that Maria is still alive at the end.

I wish I could say more about this long fan-fic, but so much has happened, that I don't know where to start...
Clockwork chapter 56 . 10/26/2014
OHHH YEAAHH! Oh man yes thank you for continuing this even further this is FANTASTIC. Yes, I agree that the frame story stood on its own. As for Sonic being in his class, well if you can make it fit with what you have already then go for it, otherwise, well, it's certainly okay to make an AU of your AU. :) Taranea, if anyone can write a good highschool AU, it's you. I've only ever found one good Sonic one on this site, and it is sadly a deadfic. I think you're familiar with it, it was in your likes. ANYWAY. I think that this is the beginning of something truly great. Keep up the good work!
C W Sherman chapter 56 . 10/22/2014
Mer Prelude and Teaser! Anxiously awaiting the posting of this new story! Too bad that the interaction between Sonic and Shadow that served to frame this will be gone, but that's logical I suppose.
DEV chapter 56 . 10/22/2014
High School-Fanfic? Es gibt nur einen Grund warum mich diese Ankündigung nicht skeptisch macht bei der leider sehr großen Anzahl an eher dürftigen Fanfics mit diesem Konzept: Nämlich die Tatsache dass du sie schreibst :D
Im Gegenteil sogar, jetzt freue ich mich sogar sehr darauf. War zwar jetzt nicht das was ich mir unter einem Life-Sequel direkt erwartet hätte, aber diese Überraschung ist definitiv gelungen. High School-Settings haben wirklich ne Menge Potential für spannende als auch witzige Geschichten und ner ganzen Menge an aufregenden Charakterinteraktionen zu sorgen, und dir traue ich es voll und ganz zu das Beste aus diesem interessanten Konzept zu machen.

Gerade dass Sonic ebenfalls mitmischen wird und die Schule vermutlich eigenhändig ins Chaos stürzt klingt sehr verlockend. Und gemessen an den mysteriösen aber sehr wohlbekannten Drohnen, wird diesmal ein ganz gewisser eiförmiger Wissenschaftler wohl ebenfalls seine bösen Pläne verfolgen und für Ärger sorgen. Das kann nur gut werden, bin also auf jeden Fall mit Spannung bei deiner neuesten Story an Bord :D
1,427 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »