Reviews for Customs
Guest chapter 3 . 7/20/2012
Pretty good. Could you add more, like Pakku going to the Southern WT
TheWannabeBruceLee chapter 3 . 7/14/2011
I love this story! Finally one that has the fight! And you're right there aren't enough Pakku fics.
aPeurDeFISH1412 chapter 3 . 4/16/2008
Awesome idea with the waves and the necklace. :]
aPeurDeFISH1412 chapter 2 . 4/16/2008
Wow... What's wrong with you, Pakku? I totally agree with Kana. :]

Codan's funny. hehe
aPeurDeFISH1412 chapter 1 . 4/16/2008
Yay! Flashback! haha haha. I wonder if he thinks that Katara's somehow related to Kana... I guess he hasn't exactly made that connection yet.
White-Lily-Blossom chapter 3 . 1/8/2008
Cute story!
Nafien chapter 3 . 5/2/2007
Wow, this was the first story I have read about Pakku. You really gave him life with this. I really enjoyed reading this tale, thanks.
Typhlogirl chapter 1 . 4/11/2007
Am I sensing another fellow Pakku fangirl, or is it just me?

Anyway, this was a very good fic. I quite enjoy reading actual scenes from the show written in another character's POV (I've tried it myself; it's quite fun!), and this was no exception. I found your take on the Pakku/Kana story very realistic; in fact, the closest to what I would think the canon would be. ) Nice job! Keep it up!

-Typhie
pattie mayonnaise chapter 3 . 2/25/2007
Yup, you tell those lawyers, Saru.

Indeed, there is action! Action is not my forte either. But I happen to think you do it very well. Pakku's thoughts throughout the fight showed his continuing stubborness. Hmph, that Pakku.

The last flashback though...so wonderful. Pakku's so heartbroken. (And so am I!) I love how you provide an exact explanation as to why Pakku carved Kanna's necklace the way he did, with the waves resembling Kanna. How poetic. He's such a romantic at heart, isn't he?

And he finally realizes the problem with sticking to customs! If only he did earlier. And he finally reaches the point where he can have peace with himself. Loved that part in the show, and I love it here still, because now you have exactly what he thinks. Good story!

So my reviews now come to an end! Was it fun seeing my name and ramblings three times in a row? Anyways, I did love this story. More Pakku and Kanna fics are needed! Looking forward to whatever writing project you're on to now. :]
pattie mayonnaise chapter 2 . 2/25/2007
Oly oly oxen free? What's that? Saru, the oxen activist. Free the oxen! (So really, what does it mean?)

Aha, the big stuff happens this chapter! Poor Pakku. I almost didn't want to keep reading knowing what would happen at the end of the last flashback. I was like "Don't do it Pakku! Just wait a little bit!" But no. He has to go create an arranged marriage. I would have acted the same way Kanna did. But it's so sad because Pakku really did have good intentions and real love for her behind all that. But he should have known that she, of all people, would not like to be told what to do. He should've listened to Codan. But he's stubborn. And so is Kanna. That's the problem, isn't it? Poo.

Awesome chapter. I could imagine everything happening in my head. You're good at doing that, with setting the scene and mood. For instance when Pakku tells Codan he was granted permission from Kanna's father to marry her. That scene right there was GREAT. It sets up what we know is going to happen, by showing how even though Pakku does do it for the right reasons, he also does it for the wrong ones.

One request/suggestion...I think one more flashback somewhere here could further establish the type of relationship between Pakku and Kanna a little more. It doesn't have to be long or anything, just a conversation between them or something, which shows how Pakku can be sweet but also too arrogant (which is something I wanted to talk about first chapter but forgot, when he says, "That's who I'm going to marry.") for Kanna's taste, you know? Something to show their interaction maybe, and show a little more of Kanna's wit, and how taken Pakku becomes with her because of that. Just so we see a little more of Kanna, since she doesn't appear again until the proposal, and understand her feelings towards Pakku: does she hate him? Is she friends with him? Does she sort of like him but doesn't want to? In any case, this chapter was well-written.

And on to the last chapter!
pattie mayonnaise chapter 1 . 2/25/2007
Gah! Pakku fic! It's out! If I could have gotten on the computer I would have reviewed earlier. Ok, so I read every chapter in one go, but I decided to review for each one because...I can.

First, I'd like to say how your idea to make it parallel to The Waterbending Master episode added a little something extra to the story. I didn't know you were going to do that! So after I read this fic and before writing this review (obviously), of course I went to watch it again, and this story's insight into Pakku's character made why he does what he does all the more understandable.

The flashback in this chapter...perfect. It's my favorite one, and not just because it's the happiest one. You bring these characters to life here, establishing their personalities and showing exactly why Pakku fell in love with Kanna: because she's strong-minded and independent and proud. I love the way he takes it upon himself to help carry the basket for her, almost as much as I love the way she stubbornly takes it back from him. :] What a great couple. It might have been possible for them to be happy together one day, if Pakku hadn't been so hasty and clueless. And Codan is an awesome character. The interaction between him and Pakku is so funny, and I don't know why, but it sort of makes me sad. I guess it's because Pakku wasn't always always the bitter man he is now, and actually used to be happy. Anyways, I think my favorite part was when Codan asked Pakku if he would rather have a more compliant wife. It's sort of ironic how Pakku wants Kanna because she ISN'T compliant and then later he rejects teaching Katara because she doesn't comply to the rules. Awesome way to work in the CUSTOMS (title!) of the tribe, and why Pakku held on so strongly to them. What a complicated guy, that Pakku.

On to Chapter 2!
K. East chapter 3 . 2/24/2007
Very cool, hearing it from Pakku's point of view :)
almostinsane chapter 3 . 2/24/2007
Great story! Thanks for writting this! God bless!