Reviews for Aftermath
Danko Kaji chapter 4 . 8/26/2010
I enjoy this story very much. It may be AU, but it's loyal to canon and it depicts your clever imagination. Especially through a very interesting minor character.

Maybe because I neither love or hate Beclem can I tolerate him.

I'll be eagerly anticipating the next (could be last) chapter. If anything, I've been wanting to write a coming of age fic for Baralai and I thought it could benefit being connected to Aftermath, considering the flow of things.

Thank you for writing such a brilliant fic. :3
AuronLu chapter 2 . 10/1/2009
Wow. This chapter picks up tension and drama as it goes. [Two hour phonecall later with Mom, and I've forgotten most of what I was gonna say.]

I like filling in a history with Zalitz and Graav! It's always fun giving the minor-minor NPCs a role.

Playing with the rumors of Yuna's pilgrimage, garbled and filtered - and yet the truth sounds more fantastic than most of the false rumors - really adds to the drama as the chapter goes along. The wonder and confusion of the watchers from the ground during Yuna's battle with Sin was very well described.

I was a little surprised that the news about Yuna's confrontation with Yunalesca spread so soon after it happened, and more accurately than most of the rumors. I'm wondering which guardian talked about it, and to whom. Tidus, I suppose; he wasn't exactly bashful.

I like the way Gippal is introduced. You leave his feelings about Nooj somewhat ambiguous, since he's hardly likely to open up to a stranger. I often found myself noticing and being somewhat surprised in-game that Gippal seemed to have reestablished a relationship with Nooj.
AuronLu chapter 1 . 9/29/2009
Well, well. Beclem is one of the few characters I can't stand, although he's meant to be that way and to have good reasons for acting as he does. This story may help me stop gritting my teeth when I see him (and Yojimbo; ironic the same sprite was used for two such irritating characters).

Your story. The aftermath of the whole battle sets the scene well without melodrama. I like how you used Luzzu to paint contrasts: as character interaction, and as catalyst to move the plot.

I always enjoy reading your characterization of Nooj - of both these characters, in this story. Fanfic gives us a chance to get inside secondary characters' heads, flesh them out fully, and engage canon in a way the characters with a mountain of canon don't. You're one of the writers who can do that and make it feel like more canon. I treasure that.
Yuna-flowering chapter 3 . 10/30/2008
Yay! _ Great chapter, and Kal making his appearance is just awesome, I love Kal _ I can't wait for more
Ikonopeiston chapter 3 . 10/30/2008
Excellent job. This reads with surprising speed and elegance. You have furnished the story with your usual ample supply of details which does so much to set the various scenes and draw the reader in. I am also amused and delighted by the grand sweep you make of the characters, gathering them in from even the most unlikely places and setting them so that they may perform in the scenario you are obviously contemplating. You answer many of the questions which lurk in the backstory of these persons, satisfying your readers' curiosity about why and how.

I have tried and tried to find some detail I can nit-pick, some tiny error or lacuna - all with no success. Your beta served you well, if you needed such service. I am happily back on that tropical island village anticipating the final move to Mushroom Rock Road. Plaudits and joy. It was worth the wait.
heaven-monument chapter 2 . 10/3/2007
awesome fic. beclem and nooj are so in character I can see them in my mind... very good. and i like the sub-storyline, too. 9/10
The RyRy chapter 2 . 10/3/2007
This was great! I followed it precisely. Your dialogue was well-constructed and flowed very naturally. I also very much like your description of the rumors surrounding Yuna and the Maesters, and finally the nonsense about the ship in the sky.

Beclem is also particularly well-drawn; I enjoyed reading him in a way I hadn't envisioned him before. I can't remember if I read the first part of this story, but I didn't really need to. It was great!

Did Nooj recognize the lubricant? That's my only question.
Ikonopeiston chapter 2 . 10/3/2007
Most excellent. I had been hoping you would write more of this story.

In this chapter, you have created the atmosphere of a world hanging in suspense. All your details add to this feeling and intensify the mood. Beclem has become three dimensional. His family surrounds and defines him. You are getting better and better at inventing non-canonical characters and making them complete beings. I felt I knew the family and old team-mates.

That was an inventive and wholly believable way to bring Gippal into the tale. I hope you will manage to re-unite the Four, if only within the pages of a story. (I do not insist that they all get tomether and remember old times.) All the dialogue works well and is appropriate to the one speaking.

This chapter covers an immense amount of time and action, yet it reads smoothly and quickly. In truth, I wish it were longer. You have left me hungry.

NB: There are a few typos or missing words here and there. Also, it is not always obvious at first passage to know who is doing what. Too many 'hes' and 'hims'; too few names.
Mandy I Am chapter 2 . 10/2/2007
I enjoy reading about Beclem even though he wasn't exactly one of my favorites in the game. With the amount of bitterness he had towards Yevon, I wouldn't be surprised had he been the one to assassinate the Maesters. heh.

I love that I could visualize the scenes you wrote. There are only a very few people who can manage to write well enough for others to see the scenes played out. I do look forward to more. :)
Yuna-flowering chapter 2 . 10/2/2007
This was an unexpected treat _ I love it, particularly Beclem running into Gippal. I can't wait to see how you continue it...
Mandy I Am chapter 1 . 2/26/2007
Very well written. I look forward to the next chapter.
Ikonopeiston chapter 1 . 2/26/2007
Excellently well conceived and executed. I had not realized that the timelines were such that the Den of Woe event preceded the Mi'ihen disaster.

You have pictured the two men and their relationship with clarity and compassion. I anticipate the following chapters. The chocobo bit is delightfully original.
Yuna-flowering chapter 1 . 2/26/2007
Very cool :) I can see whay Beclem would resent Yevon and the Masters, but why the Summoners? He doesn't have much respect for Yuna in X-2... anyway, I like this. If you're taking it through the formation of the Youth League, is Kal going to make an appearance? I'd hope so, I love Kal... :)

Oh, and my favorite line:

He handed Nooj the reins of his chocobo with a chuckle. "I may have implied that you were my overweight arthritic grandfather."

I keep chuckling every time I read that. Anyway, looking forward to more! :)