Reviews for 12:39 AM
sheepeater chapter 1 . 6/6/2012
This is quite possibly my favourite Bulma/Yamcha fic out there, and also probably the most well written, considering how few there even are. I think this was perfect. Like you mentioned I hate when people portray their relationship as some abusive, unfaithful, jumbled mess when it's so untrue. You don't stay with someone for sixteen years if you're not in love. That's the real truth of the matter that rabid haters just can't seem to understand. But you do, and you pulled it off wonderfully, bittersweet though it was. Well done!

sora
HeartSmack chapter 1 . 9/5/2010
To be honest, this is my favorite YamuchaxBulma story. Which is a little sad, as though I liked your story alot, it was, as you said, a bit overly sappy, and some of the word choice was entirely too over-the-top dramatic for this relationship.

The title is a stroke of genius, as is the final line. You brilliantly captured Bulma's character, as well as the the real terror that the Z-senshi/fighters/warriors/whatever must have been feeling as the fateful day approached. That kind of dread is usually reserved for Pre-Cell Games fics, but I think that the Saiyans had to have been scarier, due to the fact that Goku, the team's core and biggest powerhouse, was absent.

However, now that we're done with my gushing, I have to give a little bit of criticism. Your rendition of Yamucha was a bit off, mainly because of his use of the word babe in reference to Bulma. For some reason, it seems a bit too casual for the purposefully distanced Yamucha to use in reference to a woman he admires and loves so much. I also have a minor quibble about a canon character using the term Z-Warriors, because, in the show, it was only ever used by the narrator, and I believe a one-off usage by Future Trunks.

However, I am nit-picking. The story is excellent, and you should be proud of yourself. for writing it. I only hope you return to DBZ fandom soon. I like the Aladdin movie, but not enough to read fics for it, and your heavy, contemplative writing really complements the simple fun and occasional emptional blows that DBZ is known for.

- HeartSmack
GoWashTheLights chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
Aw that was so good! Really sad...I really loved Yamucha's personality, you captured him perfectly.
Yondaime-dono chapter 1 . 6/1/2007
Another day, another Cantare story...at work. Sooner or later, the net WILL come to my home computer...

You make me wonder what a Dragonball Z live action show would have been like, and I think these little romantic moments would have shown up a lot more in the series if it had been live.

Your work is tastefully done, and it's clear you worked at keeping them in character. Yamcha, especially...a strong and capable fighter, limited outside of battle mainly by his own doubt. Well...that and limited inside of battle by the genetics that were the one downfall of DBZ imo, but anyway...

I really thought that you caught the emotion of the scene well. I feel like I had to be sold on it a bit, because I always imagined Yamcha retreating just a bit from Bulma here...not being able to even say as much as he did about how doubtful things were. But, you sold me on it, and by the end I was completely into it.

The one qualm I have is a slight mix up, I think. No one thought Goku would be late before he just...didn't show up, unless I'm quite mistaken. Then again, I've been mistaken before, but it was a surprise even to King Kai, so I can't imagine they were doubting him already.

Anyway, as always, excellent work! You'll hear more from me over the weekend...I guarantee it. (while glaring at my wireless card)
Obelisk of Light chapter 1 . 5/26/2007
Wow ... this story is amazing! I like the way Yamcha's in character - and for once, the poor guy's not being portrayed as a womaniser or a cheat. The romance is not too sappy and angsty - and thus interesting. The last line was really, really powerful - abrupt and unexpected. Oh yeah, your spelling and grammar are great, too. Good job! You and this story are going into my favourites!
VCelestialGoddess chapter 1 . 5/23/2007
Awesome fic. To take Yamcha and twist the character's usual view, which is the idiot people make of him often, is incredible. For once, I finally see a change; a unique plot. That is what makes a great fic anyway!

VCG
raditz65 chapter 1 . 4/28/2007
wow...great ending
Kimyou Doll chapter 1 . 3/1/2007
*blinking after reading last line* Damn, didn't see that coming.

Very sweet and interesting from start to finish.
Hippy S chapter 1 . 2/28/2007
*Wipes tear from eye* Very emotional and realistic. You write an excellent Yamcha. b And I liked the last line, too.

- Hippy