Reviews for Per Ardua ad Astra Through Struggles to the Stars
Aunt Kitty chapter 1 . 4/10/2010
I love hunting down older tales...

While my world is Little Frigging Mary Sunshine, with Mrs. Mallard doing *just fine* in the nursing home, I can't help but love this story. The character interaction is so good, and the little throwaway bits perfect (Ducky-not a smoker, but smoking his mother's cigarettes; Abby knowing which bedroom is his (hmm!) and standing silently to watch him sleep; Gibbs, well, just everything)... I can easily picture Mrs. Mallard choosing what she did, having heard enough stories of people saying, "Don't let me die this way" in their lucid moments.

Just... wonderful. Sad, hurting, achy, but wonderful.
Sailor GaOn Donut chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
nice. sad and good

um... sorry to sound like an idiot, but what does the title mean?
ladyhannibal chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
Great story! So sad though and poor Ducky!

Nice character interaction with Ducky/Gibbs/Abby as well!
Jael73 chapter 1 . 9/11/2009
Nice. Though I still feel like Ducky would have called Gibbs right away...
Fed up with this crap chapter 1 . 6/10/2009
I was worried you were going to have Gibbs find Ducky had died in his sleep. I completely forgot about his mother.
Tracey Claybon chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
Great job depicting the Ducky-Gibbs-Abby dynamic - it was a great story!
Mrs. Flutterby chapter 1 . 1/18/2009
Bravo! That brought tears! Good story!
Retired FF Writer chapter 1 . 12/28/2008
This story was beautifully and brilliantly written. The way you captured the relationship between Gibbs and Ducky was amazing. The addition of Abby and her Abby-magic was perfect! You are a great story teller! The way Gibbs managed to get Ducky to rest as well as taking care of him emotionally was perfect. You captured Gibb's soft side perfectly.

I loved the entire story! I am so happy I had time to look through the archives today. I hope to read lots more from you!
ThorinKiliandFili4ever chapter 1 . 3/6/2008
I was missing this story so I decided to read it again. The charaterization was good, and the bit about Jethro and Abby getting Ducky to eat was good. You handled Ducky's grief well, and you conveyed Jethro's worry and comfort very well, too. I especially liked the part where Ducky had just gotten up and Abby was hugging him and telling him how sorry she was about what had happened to his mom. I can't wait to see what you write next. Keep up the good work.
Laura Saxon chapter 1 . 2/5/2008
I liked this story so much, I decided to give you a second review. This story was so good, I could almost see Gibbs and Ducky sitting on the couch and Ducky telling Gibbs about what had happened to his mom. The parts i liked were the part where Gibbs knew there wasn't alot he could say to comfort Ducky and just hugged him, the part where Jethro tucked Ducky in when he went back to bed and stayed there until he was sure he was sleeping, the part where Abby came over and helped clean Duckys mom's room, the part where Ducky was awake and Abby hugging him and telling him how sorry she was about what had happened, the lunch scene, the part where Ducky said that his mom just wanted to be cremated, the part where Abby asked if she could come while Ducky buried his mom, and he said yes, and she went back to the lab and Jethro staying with him and playing chess. I really think you should turn this into a series that shows Ducky struggling to get over his mom's death with the team's help. Keep up the good work.
Laura Saxon chapter 1 . 1/26/2008
A very good story. I got chills when I first read it. Your description of Ducky's apperance when he opened the door was good,and the part that got me the most was when Ducky was telling Jethro what had happened to his mom. My favorite part was when Jethro knew that there wasn't alot he could say, so he just hugged Ducky. The part about the bed being a mess was good, especially the part where Jethro tucked Ducky in and waited until he started snorning to go downstairs. I liked the part where Abby came and helped get Ducky's mom's room cleaned up. The part where they were having lunch was good, and the part where Abby was asking if she could come while Ducky buried his mom, and he agreed. Stories like these are few and far between and show the depth of friendship between these characters. I think you convyed Jethro's worry and comfort perfectly. I reallu think you should turn this into a series that shows the team helping Ducky get over his mom's death. Keep up the good work.
Trivette Lover Heather chapter 1 . 10/29/2007
Well done. Classic Gibbs and Ducky. I liked it.
DrifterSkip chapter 1 . 6/21/2007
Can't imagine why I haven't submitted a review of this story until now. Anyhow, I really liked this... it was cohesive and the characterizations were very well done. Ducky's a favorite of mine, so anything about him tends to make me happy, but this especially was well written.

As for his mother's name... although she is listed as Vanessa in the credits of The Meat Puzzle, I think her name is Victoria in a later episode. Since I believe canon is vague about her name, either would be correct. I rather like Victoria. ::grins::

Keep up the good work, mate.
OzGeek chapter 1 . 2/27/2007
Very nicely done but...don't you hate it when people put but in reviews... according the The Meat Puzzle credits on her name is Vanessa Mallard. I actually think Victoria is more likely given her origins, but the NCIS writers decided otherwise.
Sarai chapter 1 . 2/27/2007
I like it, it needs a sequel.