Reviews for Cowboy
pringle.sam chapter 16 . 7/27/2007
Aww..sad. I really like Caroline.

And I love how he kept wearing the ring.
pringle.sam chapter 13 . 7/27/2007
gah-beautiful Sammy should be happy. And cooking. God that's sexy... But, thought you should know, JP is only 6'4".
pringle.sam chapter 6 . 7/27/2007
AW! tender deanadorable!

...I want a big brother.
Brigid Tanner chapter 20 . 6/17/2007
That's so sweet! the Brothers' bond goes so far back. Beautiful.
TeacherTam chapter 10 . 6/16/2007
Wow. Quite powerful.

I'm frustrated with my lack of stamina. I had fully intended to read the whole story, tonight, and I'm also interested in your Dean univerise, but I have *got* to get to sleep! Sigh.

I can't read it tomorrow, either, because it's Mom's Father's Day, and I'll be spending the day with her. (Yes, my mom gets Father's Day. Hey, if you do both jobs, you get both holidays!) :)

It'll have to wait for Monday. Thankfully, school just ended, this last Tuesday, so I have plenty of time ahead of me for reading!

Thank you for an enjoyable evening.
TeacherTam chapter 9 . 6/16/2007

This one *hurt*!

Poor, poor Dean. What a dedicated big brother.

So, you've been to Ground Zero? I wish, with everything I have, that I could've gone. I felt like...I don't know, like I *owed* it to them. Y'know?

I got hired the following November, and a dad, that year, shipped out to Afghanistan. He'd been an amazing helper in the class. It's so rare to get a dad in the class, and the kids really loved him. He got a month off, near Christmas, the following year, and his wife and two kids met him in New York. They took the boys, 3 and 6, to see Ground Zero, to see why Daddy was gone and what he was fighting for. I thought it was a beautiful thing to do. Thankfully, he's home now.
TeacherTam chapter 8 . 6/16/2007
I don't usually read fics from Jessica's pov, and I probably wouldn't have, if it hadn't been in one of your stories. (Hmm, I've only read one of your stories-not even one!-and I trust you as an author. Well, guess that means you're going on my favorite author list!)

This is great!

I have to comment on the part where she was nine and tried to commit suicide because she wanted to see her big brother, again. I had a kindergartner, this year, who had threatened to kill himself, several times, before he even entered school. The other teachers infuriated me, saying, "How can *he* know what it is to be suicidal?" That's so ignorant. He may not know the word "suicidal", but he can sure have the feelings. He may not even know the permanence of the act, but a child can *surely* wish to no longer exist. Thank you for understanding that.

When I read that "Nate can't even remember their big brother," I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. That's a huge nightmare for me; not being remembered. Not that I consider myself to be all that important; I just hate the thought of disappearing from existence, being erased, as I were never here. *shudders* Plus, it's just so *sad*!

I just *LOVE* "KickAss Jess!" :D

(I couldn't stand "Titanic," either, and I'd been a longtime Leo fan, since "Growing Pains"! I did sit throught the whole thing, though. The only movie *I* ever walked out on was "Groundhog's Day". Simply interminable. And not created for an intelligent audience.)

I love the similarities between Jessica and Dean. :)

It's so cool that Jessica also loved Griffin and Ms. Smith. :)

Wow. You're really good.

TeacherTam chapter 7 . 6/16/2007
Oh, wow. I mean...WOW! How do I even describe this chapter? You're amazing. Although the "disconnectedness" (yes, I just made up a word...pretty good, isn't it?) made it a bit tough to follow, it was an incredibly effective device. It verged on poetry.

"Dean never forgets the look in Dad's eye after the shtriga almost gets Sammy." Yeah. I can relate. The most discipline I *ever* needed from my mom, even when I was in kindergarten, was, "I'm so disappointed in you." WHUMP! Knife to the heart.

"Dad kicked Mom’s cousin David’s ass from one side of Lawrence to the other..." Now that's funny! :D And well-deserved.

"He did everything Dad ever asked of him and he never let on how much it hurt that everything was never enough." That's one thing that I don't understand, and I'm so grateful to my mom for it. I've always known that my mom is proud of me. I can't relate to a life that has no outwardly spoken love, support and respect from a parent. I truly thank God for my mom. Whatever other pains we've suffered, I've *always* known that my mom was there for me, and that she'd always do her best to take care of me.

"Mommy helps Dean hold Sammy the first time, and he looks into his little brother’s eyes..." Okay, you may not care, but I have to say this. When my mom brought my brother home from the hospital (my birthday present! He was born ten days after I turned 5, and he was all I wanted, and I truly thought he was my present. *grin*), I had a cold. He'd been born too early, and he'd had to spend several weeks in the NICU, so my mom didn't want me to hold him. I was devastated. I was certain, beyond a doubt, that he'd never love me unless I held him right then. I sobbed, I was heartbroken, I was inconsolable. It's not that I threw a tantrum; that wasn't me. I just *needed* to hold my baby brother, my precious Mathew, our "Gift of God" (that's what his name means). She finally relented, wrapping a scarf around my mouth and nose, propping me in the corner of our big couch, and placing him in my arms. The rest of the world fell away. All I was aware of was my precious little brother, snuggled in my arms. I was sure that the fact that he was sleeping was evidence that he knew he was safe with me, and that I would always take care of him. All that existed was him and me. :) Beautiful memory. Thank you.

I love the references to Katrina. I think that, in my lifetime, two things have changed the world for me. Two things that I thought would never happen, could never be *us*. I would've never said it that way, said that it could never happen, 'cause I know that's just foolish, but-after they happened-I realized that I *had* been that naive. Katrina and September 11. (I'm about as far from New York and New Orleans as you can get-SoCal-but, they're still hugely important factors in my life.)

"Dean can only stare at him and wonder how the fuck roly-poly little brother Sammy became such a tactless, hurtful, pissy snot." Okay, *that* one had me laughing out loud! :) Way to go, Dean!

Okay, I have to argue with you on the Bobby Goren crush! :) He just *BUGS* me! He's actually the reason why I *can't* watch the show! :)

"Luke Solo." I love the names they choose!

I can actually see Dean having affection for both genders, but I have issues with his (admittedly, minor!) affection for his own brother. Ick!

I mean, just, wow!

This is truly amazing.

Thank you! Your story is now going onto my "favorites" list. :)
TeacherTam chapter 6 . 6/16/2007
OH, jeez. I'm literally crying, here. This is heartbreaking. Have I mentioned that I don't do "goodbye" well? Well...I really don't do "goodbye" well.

It's especially painful that it's a big brother saying goodbye to a little brother. My brother is five years younger than I, and I've known-from the moment my mom said he was coming-that he was mine to protect. Mom did her best to keep me from shouldering that burden, but I took it, eagerly. I *wanted* it. He was so special, and I would always do whatever I coudl to protect him.

Well, that worked well, until he hit adolescence. Suddenly, he didn't need his big sister protecting him, telling him what to do. Suddenly, he was his own man, and he grew tired of spending time with me. We'd always been great friends, but he needed to find himself. I could understand that, since my mom and I were great friends, but I needed some space to figure out who I was, on my own.

But that doesn't mean it didn't hurt.

Things are much better, now; he's a man, and he loves me, and he cherishes our closeness as much as I do. But that moment of Sam going away and Dean begging him to stay safe...that's hard. My brother's working towards becoming a cop, and I just want him to stay safe. I want him in a bubble, in our living room, but I know he'll never be happy that way.

Anyway, thanks for the catharsis.

Are there many more goodbyes in this story? 'Cause I don't know how many more I can go through, tonight!
TeacherTam chapter 5 . 6/16/2007
What a sweet chapter! I've often wondered about the boys' Christmases and birthdays. Beautifully done.

I'm a sucker for "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition", and I'm not ashamed to say it! :) The reason I mention it is because there was one episode where the family had lost everything. I'm not sure why, if it was a tornado or a fire or what, but they had no photos. So the design team had asked all friends, neighbors and family to donate any picutres they had, and the family was overwhelmed. They said that they figured they had most of their memories back.

Everyone always says, that in a disaster, the only thing that matters is that the people got out alive. That the rest is all material stuff, and it can be replaced. Now, I agree that the people are the *most* important things, but...some things *can't* be replaced. Like photos. Nothing will ever replace the memories contained in those pages.

Sweet, sweet chapter.

TeacherTam chapter 4 . 6/16/2007

Sorry. Got pulled away. It's frustrating how little priority a hobby gets. Especially when *I*'m the one assigning the low priority!

Anyway, back to the story.

I'm a kindergarten teacher, and one reason I so love this age is that the kids are truly sponges. It's so easy to teach them to love and respect the world. They simply need an explanation. To explain why we don't all look the same or speak the same language, I use the old, tried-and-true, "Variety makes a beautiful garden" method. Only, for kinder kids, I use the crayon box. :) I tell them that, if we opened the crayon box, and there was only one color, it'd be boring. But it's so much more interesting and exciting that there are so many different colors! And we can do so much with that variety. :) They totally get it. I love it.

I hate that "n" word. It's so hard to understand the hatred that goes with it. It's funny; today, I was flipping channels and I came upon a History Channel documentary on the Ku Klux Klan. Now, my family is full of history buffs, so I understand that the best way to understand something is to learn about it. The K has always been very hard for me, though. I thought, "I'll give it a shot." I couldn't stomach more than 6 minutes of it. The final straw for me was watching a little kids, no more than 6, dressed in the full K outfit, lighting the cross. *shudders* It just turns my stomach. It hurts, so much, seeing innocence poisoned in such a way.

Thanks for bringing the hatred into the light. Evil flourishes in the dark, and withers in the light.

TeacherTam chapter 3 . 6/16/2007
So sweet and lovely.

(I just got your review reply. *grin* I'm hoping to read all the chapters, now, so don't feel obligated to reply to each review.)

Some of my best childhood memories are of baking cookies with my mom. She always put a drop of batter on my nose. It wouldn't have been a baking day without it! There were three of us, so two of us would get a beater to lick, and the third would get the bowl. We always rotated. Those are great memories.

You're an incredible author.

TeacherTam chapter 2 . 6/16/2007
I cried. I don't do "goodbyes" well. It comes from the constant moving I did, as a kid. (That's one connection I feel with the boys; one reason that I enjoy the show) I lived in 14 different homes, before I was ten. (We only counted the places that we stayed for 6 months or longer. Anything shorter than that didn't seem to count as "living there," so much as "staying" there.) There have only been 8 in the last 23 years, so that's huge, for us!

Anyway, I can totally empathize with Dean's pain in leaving his friends (equine or not, they were still friends). He's braver than I was, though. I learned too early that there was little-to-no point in forming attachments, especially when I knew that we were soon leaving. I have always envied and respected those that could form bonds and handle the brokenness that followed.

You must be a "horse fool", huh? :) I've ridden twice, if that, and I was never allowed to do it on my own. There was another adult controlling the horse, so it didn't really feel like I was riding, y'know? It's a dream of mine to one day have the money to ride often, to find out if I'm a "horse fool", but who knows if that'll ever happen. I'd love to take my mom with me. She used to ride, all the time, when she was a kid, as therapy for her bad knees. Her parents offered her a choice, when she was ten. She could either own her own horse, or they'd put a pool in the backyard (both were used for therapy). My mom, the ten-year-old, chose the pool over the horse, because she knew her parents would enjoy the pool, while she'd be the only one to enjoy the horse. Unbelievable. But that's my mom.

Anyway, thanks for bringing up good memories for my mom.

I have to say that your dedication to spelling and written conventions is truly refreshing. We don't see enough of that, here. It gets tiring, seeing misuses of "you're/your" and "loose/lose". :)

Plus? "Verisimilitude"? NICE!

TeacherTam chapter 1 . 6/16/2007
Oh! Heartbreaking.

angel679 chapter 18 . 5/31/2007
This just broke my heart. It was a wonderful story of exactly how I envision Dean feeling after the way his dad treated him and the things he said in Something Wicked.