Reviews for Random Variables and Heuristic Solutions
Guest chapter 11 . 12/8/2012
Good one. Nice crisp style.
Cutter12 chapter 11 . 10/4/2012
For some strange reason the way your story is formatted reminds me of a Law & Order episode. :)
Your characterization of Charlie was very much like the show, very emotional and easy to take offense, though I think he took too much offense for Don missing his big night. Very well written, and a very engaging story. Thanks for writing this.
Cris chapter 11 . 4/3/2011
Fast-paced story, liked the way you construct the sentences and keep things snappy. Always got to love me some hurt Don and I wish Terry hadn't left so quickly. In some ways, liked this one better than a lot of your later stuff.
Cissyaliza chapter 11 . 12/20/2010
Thanks for this very good fic
EmptySky chapter 7 . 5/9/2009
I already loved the first few passages because they gave me the impression that Don really wanted to go to this show Charlie was on, and the dinner, and that he wanted to leave the past behind and do something new by actually showing up. Also, you used his habit to chew gum, I had to laugh at that. When I first noticed Don always chewing gum whenever they were to do an operation I wondered if that was even allowed. Technically, he could accidentally swallow and choke on it, right? Back to your story now. A crowbar? Ow! But good drama, I’ve got to say that. I can’t even blame the waitress for forgetting, because migraine does suck. It’s no surprise she forgot to pass along the message, or give it to someone else to pass it along. It still is a shame though, because Charlie thought that Don abandoned him once again. And Don didn’t even have the chance to defend himself, because he did leave a message (which he can’t prove at that point) and Alan checked for a message the waitress still had in her pockets. I understand where Don was coming from, not wanting to worry his family. But it’s still a somewhat bad behavior. He doesn’t need to be strong all the time. He’s got a dangerous job, yes, but it would be better for all three Eppes if he let them know what was going on, instead of leaving them wondering if Don’s okay and what else there is he’s hiding from them. I mean, this time he did get injured, with his ear and his collar bone, and the blow to his back he didn’t even tell Terry about. To the formal aspect of your story, I like that you gave every situation and every scene a number, and stated the day and the time it took place in. To the actual events, I haven’t seen a bitter and cynic Charlie in a while. You wrote that role very well, because it was sort of logical that he reacted that way. He was disappointed by Don not coming, of course that leaves a mark and he’s sarcastic to the rest of his family. The scene with Don realizing he’s not alright and collapsing, well just like the rest of everything else I read of what you wrote, was very well written. I totally got the vibe that something is wrong, and that Don knows something’s not right but that he’s ‘too far gone’ to do much about it. The way the paramedic reacted added a lot to the situation. It’s obvious to everyone that something went wrong, that something major happened, and that Don kept it from them. Also, in chapter five, it’s great that Charlie thinks in numbers. It’s what he does, he needs to calculate everything and now what happened to his brother is something he needs to calculate through as well. Then when the call from the restaurant comes it must be so harsh for Charlie, because there he was with so many negative thoughts concerning Don, then Don gets critically injured, and then he realizes that the strength of his negativity wasn’t quite justified, cause Don did try to spend time with his family and to be there for him, and that he did leave a message. I noticed that instead of writing ‘part 7’ in chapter 7, you wrote ‘chapter 6’ again. My heart nearly stopped when I read that Don was getting worse at that particular moment. Also, I had a cold shiver down my back when I read that Terry would be filing for a transfer. The talk between the brothers was long overdue, and though it took place after an unfortunate event that probably was needed to get them talking in the first place, it was good. I’m happy everything turned out to be okay for them, though the story is something that will probably always stay in the back of their heads. I loved the story, you’re a talented writer, and I’ll check out your other stories soon. I apologize this comment got so long.
Kazuki Landen chapter 11 . 10/1/2008
Liked it :) I loved how you portrayed Don - I think it was perfect.
ApollinaNosia chapter 11 . 12/2/2007
great story
TasteinMenandWomen chapter 11 . 8/6/2007
Loved this. Stubborn Don and irritated Charlie and worried and wise Alan. I like that I can clearly see the motivations of the characters. And I like the realism of the relationships.
Once Upon A Twilight chapter 11 . 7/5/2007
OHMG. another fantastic story by lisa paris :D

loved it! i don't how, but you can always combine humor and sadness so well into the same piece! the emotion was so real and everything was just incredible!

YOU ROCK!
TangledPencils chapter 11 . 5/10/2007
It suddenly occurred to me, that it was time to check out the other fics you'd written as I'd been enjoying the latest one so much, and low and behold, I found THIS little gem!

Excellent story, well written and told, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
play it safe chapter 11 . 4/29/2007
LOVED IT! AWESOMENES
annie chapter 11 . 4/27/2007
Since I enjoyed your story, A Little Help from my Friends, so much, I decided to backtrack and read your other work. This is another great story. I enjoy your style of writing-angst without going overboard. Well done, again!
PoetTraveler chapter 11 . 4/2/2007
Lisa, again, superb chapter. The ending was poignant and touching, so glad all the guys are back together again, healthy and (relatively) unharmed.

Yes, and perfect point with the Val Eng thing. Because all eighteen year old girls want to go to the prom with a thirteen year old geek instead of an eighteen year old hot baseball star... Tough choice, no?

In the perfect words of Larry, "Ah to be young, a genius and full of one's self."

Thanks again for the lovely story!
celadon chapter 11 . 4/1/2007
I loved this story when I read it on fanrush forum, and I loved it just as much the second time around here. The views on Don's place in things are so practical and realistic and so rarely addressed in fanfic, where Charlie's feelings usually seem to take precedence.
luvnumb3rs chapter 11 . 4/1/2007
Awesome, Hope you post another story soon.
50 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »