Reviews for Muggle Summer, Wizard's Fall
alllofthewords chapter 69 . 4/9
I would argue for the validity of canoncansodoff’s permanent fixture as the Michael Crichton of Harry Potter fanfiction (man it feels weird to be writing reviews of a grown man’s fanfiction.) The writing, superb. The ideas, superb. But the plot lines that define the shape and length of his works lend themselves so much so to short stories that it ultimately detracts from the longer pieces this wonderful author produces. Much like Michael Crichton’s genius but overwritten pieces such as the Andromeda Strain, Sphere, and Timeline, ccso’s longest pieces, including Muggle Summer, Wizard’s Fall, The Python Defense, and Alternative Medicine, struggled past their prime of the first quarter or so of the text, and their author allowed them to expand far past their recommended sell-by date, swallowing vast amounts of the author’s time, energy, and editing skill as well as the audience’s attention span and patience. I personally found great pleasure in the first sixteen chapters of Muggle Summer, before being stretched to irritation by the remaining filler (or so I thought it was) to be disappointed when the end of the book served only as a platter to offer up some paltry few of the author’s “little darlings:” snappy one liners, quips, and situationally ironic canon references, as well as an excuse for ccso to slip in even more misuses of the word “snark.” (Which, to my knowledge, has never elsewhere been used as a verb, and only rarely as a noun.) Given the thousands of readers and reviewers combined with the extensive beta work that has evidently gone into the making of these vast works, one wonders (that one being me) if the vast majority of the fanfiction-enjoying and participating populace are simply too nice to be blunt in their criticisms of the length, structure, and format of one of their most esteemed author’s efforts. I would posit that the best of ccso’s work can be found in his shorter stories, and in the beginnings of his longer ones, for despite the sheer brilliance of conception evident in these examples of a master’s work and the skill with which he navigates the plot twists and tugged heartstrings of the short story he obviously has no sense of when to stop.
Critiques of my own critique:
I have no idea what I was thinking, making a review longer than some of my own work. I must have been hit with a Confundus. And my god, those apostrophes. What on earth was I thinking? I also feel I may have been unsuccessful in leavening my rather harsh commentary with the praise that canoncansodoff deserves. In actuality, he is one of my favorite authors and the writer of many great stories. I find myself enjoying those snarky comments, viewpoints and plot twists whenever I find myself brought into his world.
To ccso: please take none of this as an insult to your work. I think what you have done is amazing, and I urge you to think of this as a drabble inspired by your far superior writing. The vast majority of my opinion on your pieces are far more favorable than this.
All of the luck,
-alllofthewords
DPinAK chapter 69 . 3/28
Enjoyed the situations and characters, hope it is continued.
Please update, this is amazing.
three cheers for passive-aggressive, self-righteous horn dog Harry I guess
Philosophize chapter 69 . 2/18
Wow, this has been great... I can't wait to read more!
paskinmath chapter 69 . 2/6
This story is bloody brilliant! thank you so much for all of the time you spent writing it. This is probably one of my favorite independent Harry stories out there, and honestly one of my favorite fics. I love your writing style, and I adore your zings and one-liners. Great balance between humor and serious, and a truly original imagining of the circumstances. I like how Harry is over-titled, but in a new and unique way rather than mysteriously becoming the heir to all 4 founders and Merlin too!
In short, I love it. Thank you.
Blake2020 chapter 1 . 2/6
cool
RogueSeeker chapter 54 . 2/3
the "50mm Barrett rifles" arent 50 mm. Theyre 12.7mm designated 50 caliber (50 cal)
Hytekrednek chapter 69 . 1/27
Was wondering if you are going to complete this story?
aswome cant wait for more
Shadow of Flame chapter 69 . 1/15
This was good (to the point that reading it during start exam week probably wasn't the best idea...). Your characters (the OCs and your take on JKR's, and your muggle British government) were engaging, and their characterization made sense-this has elevated Rookwood to one of my favorite Death Eaters, by the way. Percy's 'adventures' with Peter were amusing, for the sheer ridiculousness of it and well, it's Percy. And speaking of Peter, he's...quirky, I suppose. Fun to read.
Great plot, too. I don't know if you ever plan to return to this, or if you posted it elsewhere, but I'd look forward to more.
otterylexa chapter 14 . 1/11
I love MI-5 3/4!

When the first Public Schools where founded, they were as an alternative to private tutoring.
K-Marie-M chapter 68 . 1/5
This is a great story and I cannot wait for you to find your way back to it. Awesome plot and idea.
NarutosBrat chapter 69 . 12/16/2013
Please tell me that this hasn't been abandoned.
NarutosBrat chapter 54 . 12/6/2013
Okay, now that's entirely amusing in a twisted, 'it's going to suck to be those guys' way.
2,053 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »