Reviews for Days of Waiting
Aquatic-Idealist chapter 4 . 2/26/2008
You're quite skilled at writing tragedies... But just when I think I enjoy reading them, more characters get wounded and such... You're written this quite well, but... But for some reason though there is hope, why does it seem that that hope is so faint? Ah, good work.
Kitten Kisses chapter 4 . 1/5/2008
I freaking love you. -drools all over keyboard-

Seriously, when I saw this on the front page of the Fire Emblem section, I nearly died. I even checked my email to make sure I wasn't seeing things! But I saved it for lunchtime, so that I would have food, drinks, and a good 'fic to read! (Because I can't write while I eat...that's just impractical.)

Noo! I dropped food on the floor! (5 second rule, anyone?) Good thing I just swept the floor this morning, haha.

And for me? -Eyes get all teary and emo-

-Hugs you-

The way you write is so different from the way everybody else writes. I'm not sure how, exactly, do. I liked Rath's conversation with Kent. According to medieval standards, Kent would be rather old, wouldn't he? And for that matter, so would Rath. But mentally, you can feel so much older than you appear, and I can understand that. They've been through so much- and not just Lyndis, or Kent, or Rath...everyone- that you can't help but just -know- how they're feeling. I can almost feel it myself. I mean, when I wake up in the morning, and I feel 10 years older than I really am because my joints hurt, or my hands are numb, it saddens me, rather the way it saddened Kent to realize that he felt so old. Old, and afraid. (And you know, they say the older you get, the more you feel fear...naturally. I guess it holds true for most of the world's population, as well. Just like when you were a child, you might have jumped off of the barn roof just for fun (I know I did...many times), but as an adult, you wouldn't dare to try it. As the years pass, you become less and less willing to put yourself at risk.)

I loved that Rath said it was okay to be afraid, as if he, too, had felt ashamed because of it at one point. It's rare to see Rath and Kent speak in 'fic- if they EVER do- and even rarer still that it is a good conversation. Props to you, there.

Again, I loved that you included the characters who have died (either long ago, or recently). It gives the entire story more meaning, and shows us that Lyn is a real character. When she thinks of the dead, and can't remember them... even though she so desperately wants to, it really touched me. I know it sounds a bit silly, but it's true. I'm sure you understand, too, if you've ever lost a loved one. The way you only see a fuzzy portrait of them in your mind... How their voice fades from memory first, and as the years roll by, you start to forget what they looked like. We, at least, have photographs, no matter how old and faded they get. In medieval times, they had nothing... Nothing at all.

And the fact that she remembers Zephiel as a child, but she can't remember her own friends... That was insane. It does make perfect sense, though. It would be so hard to think that...perhaps they had done the wrong thing. And I would imagine it leave Lyndis (and the others') questioning themselves. What happened to him to make him the way he is?

I liked that Lyn did not want to turn tail and run, even though Kent tried to get her to. "Of course it's hopeless. I know it's hopeless. Everyone nows it's hopeless." That was a good line. I don't know if it nearly broke his heart to have her refuse, or what, but it almost seemed to me like it did. That she would not turn and leave him to lead their people, even if it meant the life of their baby.

I think I nearly cried when Kent remembered Florina during the siege of Caelin. truly the saddest thing ever.

Lyn's story about the cat was really good. With the combination of that, and the fact that I'm pretty mentally dead, and (yes, more) your description of how it was nothing but a half-starved beast, now... it made my eyes tear up.

...So Lyndis lost her first baby? You know, this is creepy, because I recently wrote a story about their lives together (kind of like of their lives, from beginning to end), and I wrote a famine in, and Lyn losing her first baby. But in my story, she finds herself unable to have more. I would think that famine would greatly reduce the numbers of the plainspeople, you know? It would certainly not be anything good. (I did not send Lyn and Kent back to her tribe, though... I left them together, and alone.)

No wonder Kent had such terrible dreams.

[He was a knight no longer, and bound to no liege, and still he felt guilty, for all the things he could not change, would never have the power to change.]

I loved that line. It's very Kent-ish. He has always struck me as the type to believe things are his fault when they aren't. Wonderful work, there.

Kent's fear for the life of his baby is certainly well-grounded. I did like that he thought back on Hausen's last words to him- about history repeating itself. But in the case of Madelyn and Hassar, Kent and Lyndis, that history was a good one. Poor Kent is afraid that he will lose his second child as well.

...I almost cried when Kent handed over his daughter to Rath. Almost. And if only you could have seen my face when Kent added on, "...My proud brother of Sacae." Wow... I mean, wow... It would be so hard to hand over your own child like that... but what would she eat? (I would hope Lyn fed her first, lol.)

Poor Kent. It hurt to see that happen to him, but at the same time, I was glad. It's something different...something not often done.

Having Lyn offer to be his sword arm, and he offer to be her shield...was great! (The Crimson Shield, after all...)

The ending was good. Great, even. Lyndis and Kent are both survivors, and I'm glad that you kept to that. They are both such great characters- and totally irreplaceable. When Kent laughs, and it makes Lyn happy- because it had been so long since she last heard it...that was pretty touching, I thought. The ending was a little abrupt, perhaps, but I didn't mind it at all. I think it fit the rest of the story pretty well.

And the prequel fic...Well, you know I'll be looking forward to that! The only critique for this one is that recently, posting italics sometimes renders two words stuck together- so you have two...if I remember right... Where a thought/sentence was in italics, and there is no space between the period of the sentence before, and the beginning of the italicized sentence.

Please, keep up the wonderful work, and thanks for posting it! It really made my day. )

IVIaedhros chapter 4 . 1/4/2008
Well, I think the resolution could've been a little more...resolving, but otherwise, a fine ending to a fine fanfic. I look forward to whatever else you might write.
Kitten Kisses chapter 3 . 10/1/2007
Aww, come now. Please finish this one!

I thought that Hector did die from wounds from a war? How upsetting, regardless. Can't they come up with better ways for people to die?

The dream at the beginning was so sad, with Eliwood telling Lyndis that he loved Ninian, and Hector, and now they were both dead. Talk about depressing. But it was good. Well written. A little heartbreaking.

You deserve more reviews. Sadly, most people only want to read about "gettogether" fics, and not about the characters when they're older- when they're about to die. When several main characters are already dead.

But hats off to ya, because you pulled it off. Please, continue if you can.

Kitten Kisses chapter 2 . 10/1/2007
Wow. You really have a way with words, I think. You keep this interesting, even though nothing much is happening. Poor Rath, brought to that. It makes me sad, in a way. His words to Lyndis were great... just perfect for him... and so very in character.

I like how Kent keeps thinking about 13 years. He left his mother and wonders if she's dead. He has learned their language, but he still can't forget how long it's been. Very nicely done.
Kitten Kisses chapter 1 . 10/1/2007
I know nothing much of FE6. I ship Hector/Lyndis also, but lately Kent/Lyndis has been calling to me. I find their relationship very interesting, to be sure.

This is really interesting. I think that Kent and Lyndis make a wonderful couple. It's just too bad nobody writes about them much these days. (And even worse that hardly anyone reads FE7 stories anymore.)
starfish saver chapter 3 . 4/20/2007
hey hey

this one was a little hard to follow fo me. i got a bit confused when lyn had her dream but im all sorted now. anyway, i like it. lynxkent, interesting mix. bit it works. well done

sarah xoxo
khaki knight chapter 3 . 4/16/2007
Oh man! What can I say? This is a great work you've got going here.

There is a deft juxtaposition between the palatable tension of waiting (dreading!) the inevitable Bern attack mixed with just the right amount of hope that springs from these two characters as they support one another.

And I must say, the way you've handled the characters is fantastic-especially Kent, having to act as both an outsider and something like a leader.

Ah, well, sorry for the long review, but I just could not contain my enthusiasm. Looking forward to the next chapter.
IVIaedhros chapter 3 . 4/1/2007
I enjoyed it. Good use switching between the various times through the dream sequences.
WildfireDreams chapter 3 . 4/1/2007
Their fates are tragic really... all these amazing characters and yet so many have simply tragic fates. And yet knowing it happens is distant for those unable to play FE6, until you read something like this that puts the tragedy right before your eyes. I'm on the verge of tears as I write this. You write it so well the reader can almost feel the emotions of the characters portrayed. Please continue this when you can.
Arauru chapter 3 . 3/31/2007
An amazing, worthwhile to read story. I find it surprising the amount of good FE6 stories, but how little there is of them.

I'll look out for an update, and I'll be looking forward to it as well!
WildfireDreams chapter 1 . 3/4/2007
Very nice, Kent and Lyn are one of my favorite pairings. _
Timcampy-chan chapter 1 . 3/4/2007
Yay, Kent/Lyn is love!

I'm sorry I can't provide a more constructive review...the story's great so far. I can't find anything wrong with it. Please keep writing!
IVIaedhros chapter 1 . 3/4/2007
You bring up a very good point there...about how Kent might have trouble adjusting to life on the plains. I look forward to seeing what you do with this as I assume Kent's story will form the basis of a flashback. I love Kent, and there's precious few fic's featuring him that are worth speaking about (sadly true about FE fic's in general). Not much to comment on ATM, but:

1) Good job including physical and non-physical details about the characters and their enviroment. I can easily picture the scenes in my mind without getting bogged down in words.

2) Unless you plan on using a series of detailed one-shots, be very careful about letting Kent and Lyn (or whoever the focus is) fall into their stereotype. This doesn't mean that you have to write them OOC or anything else dramatic, but people never stick soley to one role. You seem to be building Kent up as an almost Rath-like figure. That's fine, but be sure he has the opportunity to trip and fall on his face in front of everyone or laugh at one Farina's escapades. Lyn is the same. She's usually portrayed as the endlessly optimistic/moral cheerleader. Give her some flashes of anger, a small, secret desire for courtly graces, etc.

3)This is only a recommendation (not a rule that always helps), but try showing us the character's thoughts as much as possible instead of telling them. You're using a 3rd person limited omniscient POV and it's easy to be lazy and simply tell the reader what everyone is thinking/feeling. Sometimes the slight of a hand, the tone of voice, or a deviation from a daily habit are much better indicators.

Once again, looking forward to seeing what you do with this.