Reviews for My Precious
Bushwah chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
This is why Sauron had to be overthrown...

8P
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
Oh my gosh, that was brilliant and is definitely going on my favorite list right now! What a fantastic look into the psyche of Sauron. It was indeed very funny and I laughed all the way through, but at the same time, there is a dead seriousness to it as well, and it is an insightful look at the condition Sauron was in. This shows that Sauron was just as much a Ring-bearer as Frodo, Bilbo, and Gollum, and that the Ring enslaved him just as thoroughly. It reminded me of a quote by Tolkien in one of his letters that you may or may not be familiar with where Tolkien said that the Ring’s power was so strong “that anyone who used it became mastered by it; it was beyond the strength of any will (even [Sauron’s]) to injure it, cast it away, or neglect it.” This one-shot perfectly illustrated that quote.

I thought this line of yours was particularly insightful: “No, I do not think that was a power-mad, reckless decision.” Yes, it’s funny, but at the same time, so true. I believe he really did see it that way. You have used humor skillfully – humor for humor’s sake is enjoyable sometimes, but it’s always better, I think, when there’s that underlying seriousness and the humor is being used to make a point, like you have here about Sauron’s utter obsession with the Ring.

I loved how you subtlety showed the different aspects of Sauron’s personality. Of course, his intense obsession is shown throughout, but I liked how you also showed his arrogance and sense of being better than everyone else (“Aulë pounds metal—I craft metal.”), his devotion to Melkor, his love of beauty (“Yes, it is a lovely ring, isn't it?”), but also with the last line, his suspicion and paranoia, which reminded me of Gollum’s mistrust of everyone and everything. The comment about “beloved Melkor” caught me off guard for a moment (would Sauron really refer to anyone as “beloved”?), but the casual way in which he then talks about Melkor being thrown into the Void made it make sense – Sauron doesn’t really care about anyone but himself and his “precious”. That last line was really good – in LOTR, Sauron is a very insecure person, and I think your last line summed that insecurity up perfectly.

Short, but powerful. Brief, but funny. You did a great job with this, mellon, and I enjoyed reading it 100 percent. Keep on writing!

-Sauron Gorthaur
Steven Kodaly chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
This is categorized as humor, but it comes across as rather saddening, Sauron as much a victim of his ring as any other Ringbearer.
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 3/4/2010
A great story. Very well written.
persephonevii chapter 1 . 1/17/2008
Very funny. Sauron's really IC here. Paranoid, vain and a touch needy too... I like it.
AC2 chapter 1 . 4/2/2007
Fantastic! You have really captured Sauron's paranoia and denial - expressing these major facets of his character in one chapter, and it's amusing. I like it!
SmashToPieces chapter 1 . 3/29/2007
Imagine what would happen if Gollum and Sauron switched places...oh the horror...

I love this one-shot. Fav'd!
Shakespeare's Lemonade chapter 1 . 3/7/2007
Funny! I love it!
sosyourface chapter 1 . 3/6/2007
"I am not stroking it. Merely cleaning it of dust so that it shines properly."

Funniest line ever.

I loved it! And so rare to see a story from Sauron's point of view.
dark-hearted rose chapter 1 . 3/5/2007