Reviews for Meningitis
X Mika-Chan X chapter 1 . 8/2
I had viral meningitis when I was younger due to a severely low immune system. The symptoms between the viral and bacterial versions of meningitis are almost completely alike, even though the viral version most likely can't kill someone. It took a month for the doctors to find out what was wrong with me since they thought it was a really bad version of the flu at first. Also, the spinal tap is absolutely horrible. 24 hours after getting one it is excruciating to move and you're advised against it. Great job on this story! You did an amazing job describing the feeling of the symptoms. Especially when it's hard to explain to others the confusion and pain that goes with the condition.
HatethePlayer-NevertheGame chapter 1 . 12/25/2016
It was good of you to put this message out there. I myself am a survivor of meningitis but I had a much more deadly variant and truthfully my survival was called a medical miracle because I didn't lose my limbs like all of the others lucky enough to survive though I credit that to my mothers quick thinking.
Mischief Tea chapter 1 . 9/6/2016
Well, I'm a sucker for a good sick!fic, so already I went into this ready to like it, but now I find that I'm doubly appreciative for the useful information! Thanks for getting that out there, too - I have a weak immune system myself, so I'm always ready to pick up any information about early warning signs of infection, etc in myself or others!

And yeah, I've always assumed they had advanced medical tech, too. I mean... prosthetic limbs? Really? XD They obviously know SOMETHING we don't at any rate!
snowball chapter 1 . 8/11/2016
This was...BEAUTIFUL! :D
ThreeKittiesDancing chapter 1 . 7/23/2016
This is a really good story, and very informative, too! Good job, making people aware of a serious disease through the prism of fanfiction. I am so glad you had Edward recover though, and not come off worse than before he got sick, as he already has enough of a burden to bear. You could make a whole series of stories with Ed getting sick with serious diseases, although some diseases of that time period would have been very hard to recover from, like polio or smallpox. Being a double amputee already, I would hate to see poor Ed come down with polio, and become even more crippled, permanently. And, if Amestris had the smallpox vaccine in that time period, poor Ed probably fought like a tiger not to have to get inoculated for that one! It involved geting multiple needles all in one place, and left a huge scab on your shoulder. If you know anyone who was born before 1970, ask them to see their smallpox scar.

Now that I think of it, I can't remember ever coming across a story with Ed dealing with a more well-known illness, the almost inescapable chicken pox. That would sideline him for several weeks, which would make him an unhappy guy, I'm sure. I wonder who would take on the job of looking after him, as it would be more than Alphonse could handle. If you ever get a hankering to write for Fullmetal Alchemist again (please, please!), that might be an interesting story idea to work on! But in the meantime, thanks again for a wonderful "Edward get's sick" story, and for educating readers too.
FandomNutter chapter 1 . 6/12/2016
It's nice that you should write a fic with the soul intention of raising awareness. Specifically in this case, I find it relatable as well, since I had bacterial meningitis as a young child (around 5 or 6) which lead to me losing almost all hearing in my right ear, as well as a diagnosis of Symptomatic Generalized Epilepsy (I get absence seizures).
Good on ya!
newby6320 chapter 1 . 4/5/2016
Thank you for this. I'm a bacteriologist, and I have to say that bacterial meningitis is one of the most frightening illnesses I know of, especially since its early symptoms co closely mimic those of minor illnesses. Getting this sort of information out there is vitally important. I am also quite impressed with your accuracy. It is clear that you took the time to properly research the symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of this disease. So thank you again for the PSA and thank you also for the story, which I quite enjoyed reading.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/18/2014
I don't understand me my parents are doctors.
not-active.abandoned-account chapter 1 . 8/31/2014
Wow. This is all good to know, seeing as I, too, am 15. Great story!
batsbloodsoup chapter 1 . 8/16/2014
This was a great story, and accurate, considering I was very close to someone who contracted this awful disease. It's the scariest thing I've ever had to go through, and I pity anyone who either has has it, or has witnessed it. I hope the ones who have lost the battle to it rest in peace.
Lacila chapter 1 . 7/31/2014
I now have all the reason, no matter how much I hate needles, to get meningitis shots. There was an advert on my prescription to get meningitis shots, so I probably should. Its like a sign. (Although I'd kill to get out of shots)
Aquarica chapter 1 . 7/21/2014
That was a nice story, and it had a good message.
Latias876 chapter 1 . 5/17/2014
I love the story! It was very informative and interesting and the two diseases you had mentioned gave me an idea for a new story! Thanks for writing the symptoms at the author's note - saves me the trouble of actually looking it up myself (Yup, I'm really lazy :P).
SephrinaRose chapter 1 . 2/24/2014
I would like you to know that this story means a lot to me. When I was 15 months I was suspected to be critically ill with meningitis. They put me in a room to avoid contamination to others. One day I suddenly got better and the assumption was wrong. It started its spots like a rash on my body. 2 years ago, spots appeared on my body again and my Dad freaked. I was alight though. Thankyou!
Gabby chapter 1 . 10/28/2013