Reviews for Blossom
orkestrzhopa chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
this... generally happens at a very young age, to allow young, flexible bones to grow into that shape. they're not wrapped when a woman is near adulthood, as the bones are mostly grown into their shape and solid. the only way that this would even be possible is if the woman broke her feet and folded them into shape, which is completely silly - where would she even get the strength for that from?
all in all, a good try, but unrealistic and completely out of character.
The Ghost Who Walks1 chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
That's terrifying, it makes me so glad that doesn't happen any more. God knows why someone would disfigure a poor girl in the name of beauty.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/10/2012
Oh, GOD. I don't know which practise is more terrifying to me, foot binding or breast ironing...I don't understand why people hate women (and other people) so much. On a side note, breast ironing is thought to be protection for young girls against rape. Unimaginable.

Great story, the emotions were very potent.
Vi-Violence chapter 1 . 4/4/2011
Somehow I doubt it would have ended there.
BlueHeavensAngel chapter 1 . 12/27/2010
I just have to tell you how much I love this story. It's phenomenal and written extremely well.

Foot binding has always been such a baffling practice to me. I've read about it in novels, but never understood quite why people go to such lengths to follow such traditions. A lot of cultures seem to have questionable practices though.

I noticed a couple reviewers mentioning the breaking of bones during foot binding, which was a practice, but there are a lot of variations in the methods used so I don't feel it's an issue. I think the way you flowed the story worked well for it.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Definitely a favorite!
yamikinoko chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
Oh goodness. I felt the emotion, I felt Toph's emotion, I felt the horror of the foot-binding. The way you weave a story is nothing short of magical-I could really see the scene in my head, and you gave just enough hint of the others' thoughts that the reader could guess on it for themselves, and be even more engaged in the story.

Great job!
FirestormAngelBlaze chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
i read this a long time, when i hadn't even heard of this series, and i felt truly touched by it even back then.

now, having just finished the series, i am moved to tears - so heartrending and powerful is this piece, a cultural significance made worse by its affiction on a blind girl reliant on the very thing in question.

her father, mother and the old woman's complete misapprehension and misunderstanding of her pain is notably excruciating; the emotional chasm between Toph and others outside her unseeing vision furthered in her inabilty to tell them the truth, that she needs her feet to "see". that they simply take this away from her, without realizing its importance, is truly (no pun intended) crushing.

the contrast of the old woman's calm, elequot callousness and her mother's whispered, repetitive, bribing mantra is an eerie backdrop to the build up of tension.

it's truly sad how her family tries to understand her disability but are trapped by "nobility"s old-age traditions.

truthfully, i think the combination of such things would be ridiculous and cruel to the point of torture and sadism - the girl is already blind. yet taking away her ability to walk too?

an all-around amazing piece, somehow simplistic yet brilliant.
HerGoldenWings chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
:D adoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Nikkel chapter 1 . 7/11/2010
Oh man, I've heard of feet binding... Talk about PAINFUL. And for that to happen to Toph, and as sensitive she is about her feet already, must have been pure torture. I really liked this, because you were able to incorporate a real-life tradition of Chinese culture. Nice work.
you chapter 1 . 7/1/2010
can you do more like her life now totally blind and something like toph had to do this every week tighter because she made it losser and when her mom asks her about when she said i can't tells them the truthPLEASE!
Flame05 chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
Poor Toph.

The closes I ever got(had hope to ever get) to something like the foot binding is a dance in ballet made in honor of this tradition. I cant even imagin the pain, plus she couldn't see with her feet for that.
bobalinabokonon chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
Funnily enough, the best kind of fanfiction seems least like fafiction. I guess that's a way of saying that most fanfics are kind of bleah.

Anyway: this is the best kind of fanfiction. Less copying, more exploring, or, you know, I don't know what I'm talking about. I liked it. Toph is excellent. It is painful.
Aiffe chapter 1 . 6/9/2009
After reading this fic and the reviews for it, I went and researched foot binding to see if it was accurate. (Thanks, by the way. For the nightmares that will never ever leave my brain.) Like another reviewer mentioned, the bones were broken in the procedure, but I've found conflicting accounts of whether it was a gradual process from the tightness of the bindings, or if they were actually snapped in the initial binding. Wiki seems to imply the latter, however. It's also possible that it varies with the technique-I've seen pictures of more severe bindings in which the bones were simply folded over like paper, and less severe ones in which the toes seemed to be mostly in their proper alignment, just somewhat crushed and stunted. There's also mention of a rarer form of binding which did not break any bones or severely reform the foot, but simply kept it small, much as tightlacing did for women's rib cages in old Europe.

My point is, there's room for doubt, but it seems likely that if Toph's feet were bound in the manner common in old China, even if she undid the bindings immediately afterwards, due to the broken bones they might not ever be right again. And this is something almost too horrible to contemplate.

I don't think Bryan and Mike ignored footbinding in making Avatar, though. I think it's significant that such a fuss was made over Kyoshi's big feet. It seemed almost a reverse cultural perspective from footbinding-a reverence for large feet. Avatar has a lot of feminist themes, so I think this is intentional.
Orpah chapter 1 . 5/11/2009
Aw, it's so sad! Poor Toph!

I love this story, I hope you do more like it!
jiunutninja chapter 1 . 11/2/2008
Oh wow, I had a feeling what I would be getting myself into but I never would've imagined it like this...

This was amazing. So horrific. My eyes were literally growing as Toph's fear coupled on itself. I was seriously hoping that they wouldn't break her actual feet (like it's usually customary to do). Also, the way you captured Toph's dad was really IC, and that's really difficult to do considering he didn't get alot of screentime.

The idea is very unique as well; VERY original to incorporate the Chinese customs of foot-binding into this. Great one-shot! Love the ominous feel to it too- what with your lack of A/N's. XD