Reviews for Messing Around With Slim
carocali chapter 1 . 3/29/2007
That was a really cool twist on the old tales. Nice characterization and interesting viewpoint!
greatestheights chapter 1 . 3/19/2007
...And that was brilliant.

I love the voice of Slim and I love this whole story in general.

"...some things you just cain't cheat."

Excellent last line if I do say so myself.
sendintheclowns chapter 1 . 3/14/2007
I loved Slim and his narration.

I think my favorite line packed a wallop: "The black goes down sweet as you like, and I grin and offer him my hand, but he don’t even seem to see me, he’s just staggerin over to the Kid and droppin to his knees right there on a floor I wouldn’t make my dog sleep on, if I had one, which I don’t, not since old Joe died back in fifty-one."

Great concept, great execution!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 3/14/2007
This was fantastic! The tension was palpable and I actually relaxed when it was over. I have a little confusion about the guy "Slim", tho. Is he human? Is he an angel? Not a demon, because he mentions Our Lord and Jesus Christ. Christ wasn't sent to redeem angels, so he has to be "human". The years he mentions and what he does to Sam really have me sort of freaked, tho. Weird.

I loved it!
MistyEyes chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
Awesome voice. This was an excellent read and omg I feel the brother!love.
snowchic92 chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
i really like that you came from somebody else's point of view. that rocks! i'll be writing some stories soon, i hope! thx!
Silwyna chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
Wow, this was great. At first I really thought they were playing for the car. I already wondered what Dean would do if he would lose it. And then they were playing for Sam's life and the guy is something evil ... nice twist :)

So will Dean get back at the guy for threatening Sam? ;)
Xeia chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
fantastic fic, and i have to say i am enjoying your self-imposed fic-a-thon! this was one of the best and most original supernatural fics I've read, i really enjoyed it. I have to commend you on your sustained voice of the old man, it was done incredibly well - it added to the mood and tone rather than detracted from it, and made this especially good :)

looking forward to tomorrow's offering!

xeia
Ash8 chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
Your stories are always so interesting - this one was no exception .That was excellent - great POV, loved that character and the story. Thanks.
Evergreene chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Brilliant! Stunningly brilliant, I am in complete awe of your writing skills, even more so than usual. :P

It was wonderful how you built up the feeling that something wasn't quite right with the game being played, and I adored how Sam was the most precious thing Dean had, even though it was the Impala that first jumped to Dean's mind.

I especially loved these last parts:

"Then them boys are on their feet, Hustler’s haulin Kid the hell out of there, but he’s got one hand on the back of Kid’s neck the whole time, maybe like he’s tryin to give him strength, maybe like he’s tryin to take it. And when he's gone, I realise he ain't even took his cash...

And that there, my friends, is the tale of how I done met a hustler who weren’t a cheater. Or maybe he was, but he had the good sense to know that there are some things you just cain't cheat."

Again, this was wonderful, and I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow's story!
nolongeractivedfgdfgd chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Wow, that was really good. I loved it. It's nice to see a story like this told from such a weird (but awesome) POV.

Awesome job

Love,

~SS29~
SciFiNutTX chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Excellent!
Harrigan chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Awesome! I love original characters with very original voices and perspectives; don't see a lot of this! And there's no question that Dean would do anything to save his brother, and certainly isn't above cheating - but he's also wise enough to know when cheating isn't an option and it wouldn't work.

The fact that doing anything means that Dean would actually *pray* - that means so much more!
p3karen chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Oh while this story was Interesting, I like the pov. Great job
graceandfire chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Really nice. Interesting POV and great and true outside look at Dean and what's under the hustle and the charm. It's always about Sam. I actually think he would have cheated if he though he could have gotten away with it. For Sam he'd cheat. I don't know how I missed your stories before but I just recently discovered them and I'm looking forward to working my way through your list :)
45 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3