Reviews for To Give Hope
Tuima chapter 2 . 4/9/2007
This is great! Wonderful characterization and a great overall tone and voice. My only advice is to tone down the adjectives; they can get oppressive in places. But on the whole, a lovely piece of writing!
Calenlass Greenleaf chapter 2 . 4/9/2007
Poor Elladan. He's carrying a lot of grief and guilt. I like the way you're able to portray the differences between the twins.

BelovedInfidel2006 chapter 1 . 4/2/2007
This story is (so far) absolutely beautiful. I can't wait for you to continue! Really, I love your writing style in general, and this seems to represent the most refined aspect of your writing - that is, your thorough and gorgeous descriptiveness. Your words really put you right in there with the characters. I felt like I WAS Gilraen througout this chapter; I felt her anguish and uncertainty immediately. Please continue!
elvenlover chapter 1 . 3/30/2007
OMG! this is so far, one of the best peices of fanfiction i have read! i love the way you describe the elves , especially Glorfindel(sorry i'm bad at spelling) you put in exellent detail the feelings and emotions. I LOVE IT! (:
Thorongirl chapter 1 . 3/25/2007
Wonderful exploration of Gilraen's feelings in this story. I was glad that she was able to see that the elves truly did share her sorrow not just in words, but in spirit. It was all quite touching and beautifully descriptive throughout.
Kalisona chapter 1 . 3/13/2007
Wow. Wow, wow, wow. I love this! It's so amazing! Please, update soon, and keep up the good work! I especially loved the description of Glorfindel from Gilraen's eyes. It seemed very...fitting. Yes. Great job! .

lostinterestsorry chapter 1 . 3/13/2007
Just in case you need a little ego stroking, let me help you out. Great story so far. I totally enjoyed this first chapter and the tone you've set. Here's poor Gilraen, only 26 years old, a widow with a young child, and now she's thrust into the almost mystical world of the elves. Surely that would be an adjustment! But even your opening paragraph was marvelous and I thought the dearth of dialogue at the beginning well suited the tragic circumstances. It certainly is a time of reflection.

I appreciated the realistic depiction of her analysis of the elves and the way that when she really looked at them, she could see how deeply they shared her sorrow. I thought it was very moving. I love that description to of the twins and of Glorfindel as 'wondrously fair'. Sort of 'otherworldly' if you will. When the twins finally come in to talk to Elrond, their sadness and sense of guilt is almost palpable. What an incredibly beautiful beginning. I look forward to chapter 2 immensely. You're deserving of all the support that you get.
obsidianj chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
This is a great start to the story. Finally, someone who doesn't kill Gilraen off for convenience.

I love the way you describe Gilraen and her reaction to Imladris. That she is kind of resentful to the beauty and bounty of this place after her world fell apart.
Anon chapter 1 . 3/12/2007
This is beautifully written - good insight into Gilraen's thoughts and emotions: so much like a stoic queen.

Looking forward to more. Thanks for writing.
LilyBaggins chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
This was just wonderful-you write so beautifully, and your descriptions of everything-from Gilraen's first sight of Rivendell to her warring emotions-was lovely. Looking forward to more.
ReviewsGalore chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Story: 9/10. A very nice idea for a story, to show the POV of Aragorn's mother. You have set things up very well.

Characters: 8.5/10. You've obviously thought about how each character would feel about Arathorn's death and you have tried to give them some depth. I guess that I sometimes feel that you are telling us about the character, instead of making us empathize with them. I don't feel as emotionally invested in the story as I could. Sorry, I can't really explain it any better.

Creativity: 8.5/10. A nice idea for a story and you have some good insights.

Writing: 9.25/10. Your writing is very nice, though I actually think it needs a little more dialogue.

Believability: 9.5/10. I think that this story seems very believable. I especially like your portrayal of Imaldris.

Overall: 8.75/10. A really nice story with good writing. It doesn't really "grab" me, but maybe that is because it's only the first chapter in.
Elfinabottle chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
I will happily read whatever you write. This is a good start to what I'm sure will be a great story. Elledan stiffening as she glared at his back said volumes about both their states of mind.

I look forward to more.
MMB chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
This is a wonderful depiction of this event - and I'm looking forward to where you intend to take us. Please, continue!
Calenlass Greenleaf chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
I like Gilraen. It's too bad not a lot of people write about her. Including me...

I look forward to more.
Amy chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
A moving and intriguing first chapter. I enjoyed Elrond bowing to little Lord Aragorn and the details of the rain like tears, the bath, the toys, and everything so strange, esp. the enigmatic elves.
75 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5